- Volume 39 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Physiochemical Analysis, Antioxidant Effects, and Sensory Characteristics of Quark Cheese Supplemented with Ginseng Extract
- Kim, Kee-Tae (Research Laboratory, WithBio Inc.) ;
- Hwang, Ji Eun (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology of Animal Resources, Konkuk University) ;
- Eum, Su Jin (Division of Strategic Food Research, Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Paik, Hyun-Dong (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology of Animal Resources, Konkuk University)
- Received : 2018.12.21
- Accepted : 2019.03.29
- Published : 2019.04.30
The objective of this study was to evaluate physicochemical and sensory properties, the texture profile, and antioxidant activity of ginseng extract-supplemented quark cheese as a new cheese product intended to improve public health. After addition of less than 1.0% ginseng extract, the moisture content of quark significantly decreased, while fat and protein levels increased, although microbial counts and lactose and ash contents were not affected significantly (p<0.05). In terms of color,
- AOAC International. 2000. Official method of analysis. 17th ed. AOAC International, Washington, DC, USA.
- Apel K, Hirt H. 2004. Reactive oxygen species: Metabolism, oxidative stress, and signal transduction. Annu Rev Plant Biol 55:373-399. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.arplant.55.031903.141701
- Biller JD, Takahashi LS. 2018. Oxidative stress and fish immune system: Phagocytosis and leukocyte respiratory burst activity. An Acad Bras Cienc 90:3403-3414. https://doi.org/10.1590/0001-3765201820170730
- Branciari R, Ranucci D, Trabalza-Marinucci M, Codini M, Orru M, Ortenzi R, Forte C, Ceccarini MR, Valiani A. 2015. Evaluation of the antioxidant properties and oxidative stability of Pecorino cheese made from the raw milk of ewes fed Rosmarinus officinalis L. leaves. Int J Food Sci Technol 50:558-565. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijfs.12712
- Bury S, Cichon M, Bauchinger U, Sadowska ET. 2018. High oxidative stress despite low energy metabolism and vice versa: Insights through temperature acclimation in an ectotherm. J Therm Biol 78:36-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtherbio.2018.08.003
- Chen R, Meng F, Zhang S, Liu Z. 2009. Effects of ultrahigh pressure extraction conditions on yields and antioxidant activity of ginsenoside from ginseng. Sep Purif Technol 66:340-346. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2008.12.026
- Choi KH, Min JY , Ganesan P, Bae IH, Kwak HS. 2015. Physicochemical and sensory properties of red ginseng extracts or red ginseng hydrolyzates-added asiago cheese during ripening. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 28:120-126.
- Chung IM, Siddiqui NA, Kim SH, Nagella P, Khan AA, Ali M, Ahmad A. 2017. New constituents triterpene ester and sugar derivatives from Panax ginseng Meyer and their evaluation of antioxidant activities. Saudi Pharm J 25:801-812. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsps.2016.12.002
- Eom SJ, Hwang JE, Kim KT, Paik HD. 2018. Increased antioxidative and nitric oxide scavenging activity of ginseng marc fermented by Pediococcus acidilactici KCCM11614P. Food Sci Biotechnol 27:185-191. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-017-0207-y
- Ferreiro T, Martinez S, Gayoso L, Rodriguez-Otero JL. 2016. Evolution of phospholipid contents during the production of quark cheese from buttermilk. J Dairy Sci 99:4154-4159. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2016-10861
- Hilario MC, Puga CD, Ocana AN, Romo FPG. 2010. Antioxidant activity, bioactive polyphenols in Mexican goats' milk cheeses on summer grazing. J Dairy Res 77:20-26. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022029909990161
- Jung J, Paik HD, Yoon HJ, Jang HJ, Jeewanthi RKC, Jee HS, Li X, Lee NK, Lee SK. 2016. Physicochemical characteristics and antioxidant capacity in yogurt fortified with red ginseng extract. Korean J Food Sci Anim Resour 36:412-420. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2016.36.3.412
- Jung NP, Jin SH. 1996. Studies on the physiological and biochemical effects of Korean ginseng. J Ginseng Res 20:431-471.
- Kim SI, Ko SH, Lee YJ, Choi HY, Han YS. 2008. Antioxidant activity of yogurt supplemented with red ginseng extract. Korean J Food Cook Sci 24:358-366.
- Lee JK, Jeong JH, Lim JK. 2011. Quality characteristics of Topokki Garaedduk added with ginseng powder. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40:426-434. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.3.426
- Lee JS, Bae I. 2018. Quality characteristics, changes in physiochemical properties and functional properties of camembert cheese containing red ginseng powder. Korean J Food Sci Anim Resour 38:64-77.
- Lee JS, Kim GN, Jang HD. 2008. Effect of red ginseng extract on storage and antioxidant activity of tofu. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37:1497-1506. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.11.1497
- Lee NK, Jeewanthi RKC, Park EH, Paik HD. 2016. Short communication: Physicochemical and antioxidant properties of Cheddar-type cheese fortified with Inula britannica extract. J Dairy Sci 99:83-88. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2015-9935
- Ng M, Lawlor JB, Chandra S, Chaya C, Hewson L, Hort J. 2012. Using quantitative descriptive analysis and temporal dominance of sensations analysis as complementary methods for profiling commercial blackcurrant squashes. Food Qual Prefer 25:121-134. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodqual.2012.02.004
- Park H, Lee M, Kim KT, Park E, Paik HD. 2018. Antioxidant and antigenotoxic effect of dairy products supplemented with red ginseng extract. J Dairy Sci 101:8702-8710. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2018-14690
- Ramesh T, Kim SW, Sung JH, Hwang SY, Sohn SH, Yoo SK, Kim SK. 2012. Effect of fermented Panax ginseng extract (GINST) on oxidative stress and antioxidant activities in major organs of aged rats. Exp Gerontol 47:77-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.exger.2011.10.007
- Re R, Pellegrini N, Proteggente A, Pannala A, Yang M, Rice-Evans C. 1999. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay. Free Radic Biol Med 26:1231-1237. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(98)00315-3
- Song MR, Lee KS, Lee BC, Oh MJ. 2007. Quality and sensory characteristics of white bread added with various ginseng products. Korean J Food Preserv 14:369-377.
- Swensson C, Lindmark-Mansson H, Smedman A, Henriksson M, Edman AKM. 2017. Protein efficiency in intensive dairy production: A Swedish example. J Sci Food Agric 97:4890-4897. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.8362
- Yang SJ, Lee JE, Lim SM, Kim YJ, Lee NK, Paik HD. 2019. Antioxidant and immune-enhancing effects of probiotic Lactobacillus plantarum 200655 isolated from kimchi. Food Sci Biotechnol 28:491-499. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-018-0473-3