- Volume 39 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of Humic Acid and Blueberry Leaf Powder Supplementation in Feeds on the Productivity, Blood and Meat Quality of Finishing Pigs
- Kim, Kwonjung (Department of Animal Science, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Bae, Inkyu (Department of Animal Science, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Cho, Jinho (Department of Animal Science, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Choi, Yangil (Department of Animal Science, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Ha, Jungheun (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Dankook University) ;
- Choi, Jungseok (Department of Physiology, Maastricht University)
- Received : 2018.12.21
- Accepted : 2019.03.25
- Published : 2019.04.30
The objective of this study was to determine effects of humic acid (HA) and blueberry leaf powder (BLP) supplementation in pig feed on productivity, blood profiles, and meat quality characteristics of longissimus muscle. The experimental design included six treatments: 1) CON, no addition; 2) T1, BLP 0.1%; 3) T2, BLP 0.2%; 4) T3, humic acid 2%; 5) T4: humic acid 2%+BLP 0.1%; and 6) T5: humic acid 2%+BLP 0.2%. HA and BLP supplementation in pig feed significantly increased average daily feed intake (ADFI) values (p<0.05). HA supplementation in pig feed had beneficial effects in lipid profiles without altering feed efficiency rate (FER). HA and BLP co-supplementation in pig feed decreased pH in longissimus thoracis (p<0.05). In addition, sensory characteristics were enhanced when pig feed was supplemented with HA and BLP without causing adverse effects in meat quality. Taken together, addition of HA and BLP in pig feed may produce functional meat products.
humic acid;blueberry leaf;organic acid;meat quality characteristics
Supported by : Green Cross Veterinary Products Co., Ltd.
- AOAC. 2012. Official methods of analysis of AOAC International. 19th ed. AOAC International. Gaithersburg, MD, USA. p 931.
- Brownmiller C, Howard LR, Prior RL. 2008. Processing and storage effects on monomeric anthocyanins, percent polymeric color, and antioxidant capacity of processed blueberry products. J Food Sci 73:H72-H79. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2008.00761.x
- Castellini C, Mugnai C, Bosco AD. 2002. Effect of organic production system on broiler carcass and meat quality. Meat Sci 60:219-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(01)00124-3
- Chung YK, Choi JS, Yu SB, Choi YI. 2018. Physicochemical and storage characteristics of Hanwoo Tteokgalbi treated with onion skin powder and blackcurrant powder. Korean J Food Sci Anim Resour 38:737-748.
- David PP, Nelson PV, Sanders DC. 1994. A humic acid improves growth of tomato seedling in solution culture. J Plant Nutr 17:173-184. https://doi.org/10.1080/01904169409364717
- Esenbuga N, Macit M, Karaoglu M, Aksu MI, Bilgin OC. 2008. Effects of dietary humate supplementation to broilers on performance, slaughter, carcass and meat colour. J Sci Food Agric 88:1201-1207. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.3199
- Griban VG, Stepchenko LM, Zhorina LV. 1988. The live weight gain and disease resistence of young cattle and poultry stock as influenced by physiologically active peat preparation. Proceedings 8th International Peat Congress, Leningrad, Russia. pp 45-50.
- Huck TA, Porter N, Bushell ME. 1991. Positive selection of antibiotic-producing soil isolates. J Gen Microbiol 137:2321-2329. https://doi.org/10.1099/00221287-137-10-2321
- Ji F, McGlone JJ, Kim SW. 2006. Effects of dietary humic substances on pig growth performance, carcass characteristics, and ammonia emission. J Anim Sci 84:2482-2490. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2005-206
- Jimenez-Aguilar DM, Ortega-Regules AE, Lozada-Ramirez JD, Perez-Perez MCI, Vernon-Carter EJ, Welti-Chanes J. 2011. Color and chemical stability of spray-dried blueberry extract using mesquite gum as wall material. J Food Compost Anal 24:889-894. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2011.04.012
- Joven M, Pintos E, Latorre MA, Suarez-Belloch J, Guada JA, Fondevila M. 2014. Effect of replacing barley by increasing levels of olive cake in the diet of finishing pigs: Growth performances, digestibility, carcass, meat and fat quality. Anim Feed Sci Technol 197:185-193. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2014.08.007
- Kim IS, Jin SK, Mandal PK, Kang SN. 2011. Quality of low-fat pork sausages with tomato powder as colour and functional additive during refrigerated storage. J Food Sci Technol 48:591-597. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-010-0182-2
- Klocking R. 1994. Humic substances as potential therapeutics. In Humic substances in the global environment and implications on human health. Senesi N, Miano TM (ed). Elsevier, Amsterdam, the Netherlands. pp 1245-1257.
- Kwon OS, Kim IH, Kim JH, Hong JW, Min BJ, Min WB, Lee WB. 2003. The effects of dietary herbal plant mixture on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, serological changes and carcass characteristics in finishing pigs. J Korea Acad Ind Coop Soc 4:334-340.
- Laakkonen E, Wellington GH, Sherbon JN. 1970. Low-temperature, long-time heating of bovine muscle I. Changes in tenderness, water-binding capacity, pH and amount of water-soluble components. J Food Sci 35:175-177. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1970.tb12131.x
- Leusink G, Rempel H, Skura B, Berkyto M, White W, Yang Y, Rhee JY, Xuan SY, Chiu S, Silversides F, Fitzpatrick S, Diarra MS. 2010. Growth performance, meat quality, and gut microflora of broiler chickens fed with cranberry extract. Poult Sci 89:1514-1523. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2009-00364
- Ministry of Agriculture Food and Rural Affairs. 2017. Key statistics of agriculture. Forestry and Livestock Food, Korea. p 382.
- Muramatsu K, Fukuyo M, Hara Y. 1986. Effect of green tea catechins on plasma cholesterol level in cholesterol-fed rats. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 32:613-622. https://doi.org/10.3177/jnsv.32.613
- National Research Council. 2012 Nutrient requirements of swine. National Academies Press. Washington, DC, USA.
- Oh HJ, Kim IH, Song MH, Kwak WG, Yun W, Lee JH, Lee CH, Oh SY, Liu S, An JS, Kim HB, Cho JH. 2018. Effects of microencapsulated complex of organic acids and essential oils on growth performance, nutrient retention, blood profiles, fecal microflora, and lean meat percentage in weaning to finishing pigs. Can J Anim Sci 99:41-49.
- Ozturk E, Ocak N, Turan A, Erener G, Altop A, Cankaya S. 2012. Performance, carcass, gastrointestinal tract and meat quality traits, and selected blood parameters of broilers fed diets supplemented with humic substances. J Sci Food Agric 92:59-65. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.4541
- Pisarikova B, Zraly Z, Herzig I. 2010. The effect of dietary sodium humate supplementation on nutrient digestibility in growing pigs. Acta Vet Brno 79:349-353. https://doi.org/10.2754/avb201079030349
- Qiao M, Fletcher DL, Smith DP, Northcutt JK. 2001. The effect of broiler breast meat color on pH, moisture, water-holding capacity, and emulsification capacity. Poult Sci 80:676-680. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/80.5.676
- Rywotycki R. 2002. The effect of selected functional additives and heat treatment on nitrosamine content in pasteurized pork ham. Meat Sci 60:335-339. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(01)00138-3
- SAS. 2012. SAS/STAT software for PC. Release 9.2, SAS Institute, Cary, NC, USA.
- Skupien K. 2006. Chemical composition of selected cultivars of highbush blueberry fruit (Vaccinium corymbosum L.). Folta Hortic 18:47-56.
- Smith MAL, Marley KA, Seigler D, Singletary KW, Meline B. 2000. Bioactive properties of wild blueberry fruits. J Food Sci 65:352-356. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2000.tb16006.x
- Wanapat M, Mapato C, Pilajun R, Toburan W. 2011. Effects of vegetable oil supplementation on feed intake, rumen fermentation, growth performance, and carcass characteristic of growing swamp buffaloes. Livest Sci 135:32-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2010.06.006
- Wang Q, Chen YJ, Yoo JS, Kim HJ, Cho JH, Kim IH. 2008. Effects of supplemental humic substances on growth performance, blood characteristics and meat quality in finishing pigs. Livest Sci 117:270-274. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.12.024
- Wenk C. 2003. Herbs and botanicals as feed additives in monogastric animals. Asian-Austalas J Anim Sci 16:282-289. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2003.282
- Yang G, Yue J, Gong X, Qian B, Wang H, Deng Y, Zhao Y. 2014. Blueberry leaf extracts incorporated chitosan coatings for preserving postharvest quality of fresh blueberries. Postharvest Biol Technol 92:46-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.postharvbio.2014.01.018
- Zhang X, Yang Y, Zhao D. 2011. Effect of blueberry on spreadable processed cheese. J Northeast Agric Univ 18:73-78.