- Volume 39 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Interaction of Porcine Myofibrillar Proteins and Various Gelatins: Impacts on Gel Properties
- Noh, Sin-Woo (Department of Animal Science & Biotechnology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Song, Dong-Heon (Department of Animal Science & Biotechnology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Ham, Youn-Kyung (Department of Animal Resources Technology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Tae-Kyung (Food Processing Research Center, Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Choi, Yun-Sang (Food Processing Research Center, Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Hyun-Wook (Department of Animal Science & Biotechnology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2018.11.28
- Accepted : 2019.02.25
- Published : 2019.04.30
The objectives of this study were to determine the interaction between porcine myofibrillar proteins and various gelatins (bovine hide, porcine skin, fish skin, and duck skin gelatins) and their impacts on gel properties of porcine myofibrillar proteins. Porcine myofibrillar protein was isolated from pork loin muscle (M. longissimus dorsi thoracis et lumborum). Control was prepared with only myofibrillar protein (60 mg/mL), and gelatin treatments were formulated with myofibrillar protein and each gelatin (9:1) at the same protein concentration. The myofibrillar protein-gelatin mixtures were heated from
differential scanning calorimetry;duck skin;gelatin;myofibrillar protein gel;porcine
Supported by : Ministry of Agriculture, Food, and Rural Affairs
- Abedinia A, Ariffin F, Huda N, Nafchi AM. 2017. Extraction and characterization of gelatin from the feet of Pekin duck (Anas platyrhynchos domestica) as affected by acid, alkaline, and enzyme pretreatment. Int J Biol Macromol 98:586-594. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2017.01.139
- American Meat Science Association [AMSA]. 2012. Meat color measurement guidelines. American Meat Science Association, Champaign, IL, USA.
- Asgar MA, Fazilah A, Huda N, Bhat R, Karim AA. 2010. Nonmeat protein alternatives as meat extenders and meat analogs. Compr Rev Food Sci Food Saf 9:513-529. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1541-4337.2010.00124.x
- Aykin-Dincer E, Koc A, Erbas M. 2017. Extraction and physicochemical characterization of broiler (Gallus gallus domesticus) skin gelatin compared to commercial bovine gelatin. Poult Sci 96:4124-4131. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps/pex237
- Bourne MC. 1978. Texture profile analysis. Food Technol 32:62-66.
- Brewer MS, Peterson WJ, Carr TC, Mccusker R, Novakofski J. 2005. Thermal gelation properties of myofibrillar protein and gelatin combinations. J Muscle Food Banner 16:126-140. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4573.2005.09204.x
- Doerscher DR, Briggs JL, Lonergan SM. 2004. Effects of pork collagen on thermal and viscoelastic properties of purified porcine myofibrillar protein gels. Meat Sci 66:181-188. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(03)00082-2
- Gomez-Guillen MC, Gimenez B, Lopez-Caballero ME, Montero MP. 2011. Functional and bioactive properties of collagen and gelatin from alternative sources: A review. Food Hydrocoll 25:1813-1827. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2011.02.007
- Gomez-Guillen MC, Turnay J, Fernandez-Diaz MD, Ulmo N, Lizarbe MA, Montero P. 2002. Structural and physical properties of gelatin extracted from different marine species: A comparative study. Food Hydrocoll 16:25-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0268-005X(01)00035-2
- Gornall AG, Bardawill CJ, David MM. 1949. Determination of serum proteins by means of the biuret reaction. J Biol Chem 177:751-766.
- Jridi M, Abdelhedi O, Souissi N, Kammoun M, Nasri M, Ayadi MA. 2015. Improvement of the physicochemical, textural and sensory properties of meat sausage by edible cuttlefish gelatin addition. Food Biosci 12:67-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fbio.2015.07.007
- Karim AA, Bhat R. 2009. Fish gelatin: Properties, challenges, and prospects as an alternative to mammalian gelatins. Food Hydrocoll 23:563-576. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2008.07.002
- Kim HW, Park JH, Yeo EJ, Hwang KE, Song DH, Kim YJ, Ham YK, Jeong TJ, Choi YS, Kim CJ. 2014. Effect of duck feet gelatin concentration on physicochemical, textural, and sensory properties of duck meat jellies. Korean J Food Sci Anim Resour 34:387-394. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2014.34.3.387
- Laemmli UK. 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227:680-685. https://doi.org/10.1038/227680a0
- Lan Y. 1994. Comparison of thermal gelation properties of pork, beef, fish, chicken and turkey. Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL, USA.
- Lee CH, Chin KB. 2016. Effects of pork gelatin levels on the physicochemical and textural properties of model sausages at different fat levels. LWT-Food Sci Technol 74:325-330. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2016.07.032
- Liu D, Nikoo M, Boran G, Zhou P, Regenstein JM. 2015. Collagen and gelatin. Annu Rev Food Sci Technol 6:527-557. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-food-031414-111800
- Liu G, Xiong YL, Butterfield, DA. 2000. Chemical, physical, and gel-forming properties of oxidized myofibrils and wheyand soy-protein isolates. J Food Sci 65:811-818. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2000.tb13592.x
- Ockerman HW, Hansen CL. 1988. Glue and gelatin animal by-product processing. Ellis Horwood Ser Food Sci Technol, New York, NY, USA. pp 132-157.
- Park JH, Choe JH, Kim HW, Hwang KE, Song DH, Yeo EJ, Kim HY, Choi YS, Lee SH, Kim CJ. 2013. Effects of various extraction methods on quality characteristics of duck feet gelatin. Korean J Food Sci Anim Resour 33:162-169. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2013.33.2.162
- Park SY, Kim GW, Kim HY. 2016. Study on physicochemical properties of emulsion-type sausage added with pork skin gelatin. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 45:209-214. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.2.209
- Sun XD, Holley RA. 2011. Factors influencing gel formation by myofibrillar proteins in muscle foods. Compr Rev Food Sci Food Saf 10:33-51. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1541-4337.2010.00137.x
- Wu M, Xiong YL, Chen J, Tang X, Zhou G. 2009. Rheological and microstructural properties of porcine myofibrillar proteinlipid emulsion composite gels. J Food Sci 74:E207-E217. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2009.01140.x
- Xia X, Kong B, Xiong Y, Ren Y. 2010. Decreased gelling and emulsifying properties of myofibrillar protein from repeatedly frozen-thawed porcine longissimus muscle are due to protein denaturation and susceptibility to aggregation. Meat Sci 85:481-486. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.02.019
- Yang YL, Zhou GH, Xu XL, Wang Y. 2007. Rheological properties of myosin-gelatin mixtures. J Food Sci 72:C270-C275. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2007.00390.x
- Yeo EJ, Kim HW, Hwang KE, Song DH, Kim YJ, Ham YK, He FY, Park JH, Kim CJ. 2014. Effect of duck feet gelatin on physicochemical, textural, and sensory properties of low-fat frankfurters. Korean J Food Sci Anim Resour 34:415-422. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2014.34.4.415