- Volume 39 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Correlations of Sensory Quality Characteristics with Intramuscular Fat Content and Bundle Characteristics in Bovine Longissimus Thoracis Muscle
- Choi, Young Min (Department of Animal Sciences, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Garcia, Lyda Guadalupe (Department of Animal Sciences, The Ohio State University) ;
- Lee, Kichoon (Department of Animal Sciences, The Ohio State University)
- Received : 2019.01.02
- Accepted : 2019.02.20
- Published : 2019.04.30
The aim of this study was to investigate the relation of sensory quality traits of cooked beef to fresh meat quality and histochemical characteristics, especially muscle bundle traits, in the longissimus thoracis muscle of Hanwoo steers. Cooking loss negatively correlated with softness, initial tenderness, chewiness, rate of breakdown (RB), and amount of perceptible residue (AR) after chewing (p<0.05), and drip loss showed negative correlation with RB and AR (p<0.05). All the attributes of tenderness exhibited negative correlation with the Warner-Bratzler shear force value (p<0.05). Marbling score and the intramuscular fat (IMF) content showed positive correlation with all the organoleptic characteristics, including tenderness attributes, juiciness, and flavor (p<0.05). Regarding histochemical characteristics, muscle fiber size did not have a significant correlation with all the sensory quality traits, although the area percentage of type I fiber was related with softness, initial tenderness, and chewiness (p<0.05). On the contrary, the characteristics of muscle bundle were related to all the sensory tenderness attributes (p<0.05), and the sensory tenderness increased with smaller muscle bundle size (p<0.05). These results suggest that the IMF content and bundle characteristics can be used as indicators for explaining the variations in sensory tenderness in well-marbled beef.
sensory quality;meat quality;intramuscular fat content;muscle bundle;Hanwoo beef
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- Albrecht E, Gotoh T, Ebara F, Xu JX, Viergutz T, Nurnberg G, Maak S, Wegner J. 2011. Cellular conditions for intramuscular fat deposition in Japanese Black and Holstein steers. Meat Sci 89:13-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2011.03.012
- Albrecht E, Teuscher F, Ender K, Wegner J. 2006. Growth- and breed-related changes of muscle bundle structure in cattle. J Anim Sci 84:2959-2964. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-345
- American Meat Science Association. 1995. Research guidelines for cookery, sensory evaluation, and instrumental tenderness measurements of fresh meat. American Meat Science Association, Chicago, IL, USA.
- AOAC. 2012. Official methods of analysis of AOAC international. 19th ed. AOAC International, Gaithersburg, MD, USA.
- Borgogno M, Sacca E, Corazzin M, Favotto S, Bovolenta S, Piasentier E. 2016. Eating quality prediction of beef from Italian Simmental cattle based on experts' steak assessment. Meat Sci 118:1-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2016.03.015
- Brooke MH, Kaiser KK. 1970. Three "myosin adenosine triphosphatase" systems: The nature of their pH lability and sulfhydryl dependence. J Histochem Cytochem 18:670-672. https://doi.org/10.1177/18.9.670
- Chandraratne MR, Samarasinghe S, Kulasiri D, Bickerstaffe R. 2006. Prediction of lamb tenderness using image surface texture features. J Food Eng 77:492-499. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2005.06.063
- Cho SH, Kim J, Park BY, Seong PN, Kang GH, Kim JH, Jung SG, Im SK, Kim DH. 2010. Assessment of meat quality properties and development of a palatability prediction model for Korean Hanwoo steer beef. Meat Sci 86:236-242. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.05.011
- Choi YM, Kim BC. 2009. Muscle fiber characteristics, myofibrillar protein isoforms, and meat quality. Livest Sci 122:105-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2008.08.015
- Choi YM, Nam KW, Choe JH, Ryu YC, Wick MP, Lee K, Kim BC. 2013. Growth, carcass, fiber type, and meat quality characteristics in Large White pigs with different live weights. Livest Sci 155:123-129. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2013.02.009
- Choi YM, Oh HK. 2016. Carcass performance, muscle fiber, meat quality, and sensory quality characteristics of crossbred pigs with different live weights. Korean J Food Sci Anim Resour 36:389-396. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2016.36.3.389
- Commission Internationale de l'Eclairage (CIE). 1978. Recommendations on uniform color spaces - Color differences equations, psychrometic color terms, Supplement 2 to CIE publication 15 (E1.3.1) 1971/(TC1.3). Central Bureau of the Commission Internationale de l'Eclairage, Vienna, Austria.
- Cooper CC, Breidenstein BB, Cassens RG, Evans G, Bray RW. 1968. Influence of marbling and maturity on the palatability of beef muscle. II. Histological considerations. J Anim Sci 27:1542-1546. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1968.2761542x
- Fortin A, Robertson WM, Tong AKW. 2005. The eating quality of Canadian pork and its relationship with intramuscular fat. Meat Sci 69:297-305. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2004.07.011
- Gil M, Delday MI, Gispert M, Furnols MF, Maltin CM, Plastow GS, Klont R, Sosnicki AA, Carrion D. 2008. Relationships between biochemical characteristics and meat quality of longissimus thoracis and semimembranosus muscles in five porcine lines. Meat Sci 80:927-933. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2008.04.016
- Grunert KG, Bredahl L, Brunso K. 2004. Consumer perception of meat quality and implications for product development in the meat sector-A review. Meat Sci 66:259-272. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(03)00130-X
- Hocquette JF, Gondret F, Baeza E, Medale F, Jurie C, Pethick DW. 2010. Intramuscular fat content in meat-producing animals: Development, genetic and nutritional control, and identification of putative markers. Animal 4:303-319. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731109991091
- Honikel KO. 1998. Reference methods for the assessment of physical characteristics of meat. Meat Sci 49:447-457. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(98)00034-5
- Hunt MR, Garmyn AJ, O'Quinn TG, Corbin CH, Legako JF, Rathmann RJ, Brooks JC, Miller MF. 2014. Consumer assessment of beef palatability from four beef muscles from USDA choice and select graded carcasses. Meat Sci 98:1-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2014.04.004
- Hwang YH, Kim GD, Jeong JY, Hur SJ, Joo ST. 2010. The relationship between muscle fiber characteristics and meat quality traits of highly marbled Hanwoo (Korean native cattle) steers. Meat Sci 86:456-461. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.05.034
- Jeong DW, Choi YM, Lee SH, Choe JH, Hong KC, Park HC, Kim BC. 2010. Correlations of trained panel sensory values of cooked pork with fatty acid composition, muscle fiber type, and pork quality characteristics in Berkshire pigs. Meat Sci 86:607-615. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.04.011
- Kauffman RG, Eikelenboom G, van der Wal PG, Merkus G, Zaar M. 1986. The use of filter paper to estimate drip loss of porcine musculature. Meat Sci 18:191-200. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(86)90033-1
- Korea Institute of Animal Products Quality Evaluation [KAPE]. The beef carcass grading. Available from: https://www.ekape.or.kr/index.do. Accessed at Feb 1, 2017.
- Krichesky B. 1931. A modification of Mallory's triple stain. Stain Technol 6:97-98. https://doi.org/10.3109/10520293109116052
- Lee B, Yoon S, Lee Y, Oh E, Yun YK, Kim BD, Kuchida K, Oh HK, Choe J, Choi YM. 2018a. Comparison of marbling fleck characteristics and objective tenderness parameters with different marbling coarseness within longissimus thoracis muscle of high-marbled Hanwoo steer. Korean J Food Sci Anim Resour 38:606-614.
- Lee B, Yoon S, Choi YM. 2019. Comparison of marbling fleck characteristics between beef marbling grades and its effect on sensory quality characteristics in high-marbled Hanwoo steer. Meat Sci 152:109-115. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2019.02.019
- Lee Y, Lee B, Kim HK, Yun YK, Kang SJ, Kim KT, Kim BD, Kim EJ, Choi YM. 2018b. Sensory quality characteristics with different beef quality grades and surface texture features assessed by dented area and firmness, and the relation to muscle fiber and bundle characteristics. Meat Sci 145:195-201. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2018.06.034
- Lind A, Kernell D. 1991. Myofibrillar ATPase histochemistry of rat skeletal muscles: A "two-dimensional" quantitative approach. J Histochem Cytochem 39:589-597. https://doi.org/10.1177/39.5.1826695
- Liu Y, Lyon BG, Windham WR, Lyon CE, Savage EM. 2004. Principal component analysis of physical, color, and sensory characteristics of chicken breasts deboned at two, four, six, and twenty-four hours postmortem. Poult Sci 83:101-108. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/83.1.101
- Lomiwes D, Farouk MM, Frost DA, Dobbie PM, Young OA. 2013. Small heat shock proteins and toughness in intermediate pHu beef. Meat Sci 95:472-479. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2013.05.022
- Marsh BB, Ringkob TP, Russell RL, Swartz DR, Pagel LA. 1987. Effects of early-postmortem glycolytic rate on beef tenderness. Meat Sci 21:241-248. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(87)90061-1
- Meilgaard M, Civille GV, Carr BT. 1991. Sensory evaluation techniques. 3rd ed. CRC Press Inc. Boca Ranton, FL, USA.
- Mwove JK, Gogo LA, Chikamai BN, Omwamba M, Mahungu SM. 2018. Principal component analysis of physicochemical and sensory characteristics of beef rounds extended with gum Arabic from Acacia senegal var. kerensis. Food Sci Nutr 6:474-482. https://doi.org/10.1002/fsn3.576
- Ngapo TM, Martin JF, Dransfield E. 2007. International preferences for pork appearance: II. Factors influencing consumer choice. Food Qual Prefer 18:139-151. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodqual.2005.09.007
- Nishimura T. 2015. Role of extracellular matrix in development of skeletal muscle and postmortem aging of meat. Meat Sci 109:48-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2015.05.015
- Picard B, Gagaoua M, Micol D, Cassar-Malek I, Hocquett JF, Terlouw CEM. 2014. Inverse relationships between biomarkers and beef tenderness according to contractile and metabolic properties of the muscle. J Agric Food Chem 62:9808-9818. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf501528s
- Pulford DJ, Fraga Vazques S, Frost DF, Fraser-Smith E, Dobbie P, Rosenvold K. 2008. The intracellular distribution of small heat shock proteins in post-mortem beef is determined by ultimate pH. Meat Sci 79:623-630. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.10.027
- Purslow PP. 2005. Intramuscular connective tissue and its role in meat quality. Meat Sci 70: 435-447. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2004.06.028
- Rehfeldt C, Henning M, Fiedler I. 2008. Consequences of pig domestication for skeletal muscle growth and cellularity. Livest Sci 116:30-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.08.017
- SAS. 2014. SAS/STAT software for PC. Release 9.4, SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Savell JW, Cross HR, Smith GC. 1986. Percentage ether extractable fat and moisture content of beef longissimus muscle as related to USDA marbling score. J Food Sci 51:838-839. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1986.tb13946.x
- Schiaffino S, Reggiani C. 1996. Molecular diversity of myofibrillar proteins: Gene regulation and functional significance. Physiol Rev 76:371-423. https://doi.org/10.1152/physrev.1922.214.171.1241
- Schleip R, Naylor IL, Ursu D, Melzer W, Zorn A, Wilke HJ, Horn FL, Klingler W. 2006. Passive muscle stiffness may be influenced by active contractility of intramuscular connective tissue. Med Hypotheses 66:66-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mehy.2005.08.025
- Seideman SC, Crouse JD, Cross HR. 1986. The effect of sex condition and growth implants on bovine muscle fiber characteristics. Meat Sci 17:79-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(86)90056-2
- Silva JA, Patarata L, Martins C. 1999. Influence of ultimate pH on bovine meat tenderness during ageing. Meat Sci 52:453-459. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00029-7
- Vestergaard M, Oksbjerg N, Henckel P. 2000. Influence of feeding intensity, grazing and finishing feeding on muscle fibre characteristics and meat colour of semitendinosus, longissimus dorsi and supraspinatus muscles of young bulls. Meat Sci 54:177-185. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00097-2
- Wegner J, Albrecht E, Fiedler I, Teuscher F, Papstein HJ, Ender K. 2000. Growth- and breed-related changes of muscle fiber characteristics in cattle. J Anim Sci 78:1485-1496. https://doi.org/10.2527/2000.7861485x
- Wood JD, Enser M, Fisher AV, Nute GR, Sheard PR, Richardson RI, Hughes SI, Whittington FM. 2008. Fat deposition, fatty acid composition and meat quality: A review. Meat Sci 78:343-358. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.07.019