- Volume 21 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Washing and Satisfaction of Newborn Clothing - Focused on Innerwear -
신생아복 세탁 실태 및 만족도에 관한 연구 -배냇저고리 중심으로-
- Roh, Eui Kyung (Dept. of Clothing & Textiles, Chonbuk National University)
- 노의경 (전북대학교 의류학과)
- Received : 2019.01.18
- Accepted : 2019.02.22
- Published : 2019.04.30
This study analyzed satisfaction with and washing of newborn clothing (especially the innerwear washing behaviors) which are considered to be the most basic items among newborn clothing.The survey was conducted on mothers with children under 24 months old. Using an average of 6.7 innerwear items that were changed average 2.3 times a day with baby formula and breast milk representing the main contaminants. When washing clothes for a newborn, respondents were mainly concerned with: rinsing residual detergent, removing stains and contaminants, and sterilization and disinfection. Items were washed by a laundry label to prevent clothes damage. A baby-friendly or environmentally-friendly detergent was used to wash before being worn after purchase was separated and washed in various washing courses of the washing machine every day, boiled, rinsed an average 3.6 times, and dried mainly in the sun. Environmentally friendly cotton (59.5%) and organic cotton (41.6%) products were mainly used; however, items were washed separately from regular laundry. Respondents were satisfied with methods of washing. Consumers are concerned about washing because they think that washing affects a newborn's health. Therefore, it is necessary to provide consumers with appropriate information on washing and establish regulations for the use of harmful substances in newborn clothing and detergents.
washing newborn clothing;innerwear;washing satisfaction;eco-friendly textile
- 'Baby love washing machine+3kg WA30F1K6QSA'. (2019). Samsung. Retrieved January 16, 2019, from https://www.samsung.com/sec/washing-machines/wa30f1k6qsa/
- Blair, P. S., Sidebotham, P., Evason-Coombe, C., Edmonds, M., Heckstall-Smith, E. M., & Fleming, P. (2009). Hazardous cosleeping environments and risk factors amenable to change: Case-control study of SIDS in south west England. British Medical Journal, 339, b3666. doi:10.1136/bmj.b3666
- 'BN crew neck long-sleeve bodysuit'. (2019). Uniqlo. Retrieved January 17, 2019, from https://store-kr.uniqlo.com/display/showDisplayCache.lecs?goodsNo=NQ31117268&displayNo=NQ1A04A08A03&stonType=P&storeNo=83&siteNo=50706
- Gerard, C. M., Harris, K. A., & Thach, B. T. (2002). Spontaneous arousals in supine infants while swaddled and unswaddled during rapid eye movement and quiet sleep. Pediatrics, 110(6), e70. doi:10.1542/peds.110.6.e70 https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.110.6.e70
- Hanil electric's 'automatic washing boiler', simple baby washing machine, 'popular''. (2015, December 23). Korea Economic. Retrieved February 28, 2018, from http://news.hankyung.com/article/201512237506a?nv=o
- 'Hip-healthy swaddling'. (2018). International hip dysplasia institute. Retrieved February 2, 2018, from https://hipdysplasia.org/developmental-dysplasia-of-the-hip/hip-healthy-swaddling/
- Hong, K. H., & Lee, Y. J. (2007). Consumers' attitude toward care label instructions on children's clothing. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 31(5), 680-691. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2007.31.5.680 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2007.31.5.680
- Jang, E. A. (2009). A study on pattern making & sewing of DIY 'Baenaet Jeogori' goods for a newborn baby. Unpublished master's thesis, Mokpo National University, Mokpo.
- Jang, H. J. (2015). Development of design of naturally-dyed 'jeogori' for a newborn baby with Salvia plebeia R. Brown variegation, which has efficacy in alleviating atopic disease. Journal of Korean Traditional Costume, 18(4), 83-97. doi:10.16885/jktc.2015.12.18.4.83 https://doi.org/10.16885/jktc.2015.12.18.4.83
- Kang, M. G. (2017, February 15). 47 items recalled from 45 electric appliances, kitchen appliances and children's products. Korean Agency for Technology and Standards. Retrieved February 2, 2018, from http://www.kats.go.kr/content.do?cmsid=240&mode=view&page=12&cid=19220
- Kim, H. N. (2018, January 11). Dauyuwinia enters the home washing machine market. Korea Economic. Retrieved February 28, 2018, from http://news.hankyung.com/article/201801116914g
- Kim, S. R. (2000). Textiles (7th ed.). Paju: Gyomoon.
- Kweon, S. A., Han, M. R., & Lee, J. S. (2006). Consumer's behaviors on the purchase and the laundering of baby's clothing. Journal of the Korean Society of Fashion 7 Beauty, 4(4), 33-41.
- Kwon, S. H., & Roh, E. K. (2018). A study on usage and satisfaction of newborn clothing - Focused on Baenaet Jeogori -. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 20(3), 312-322. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2018.20.3.312 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2018.20.3.312
- Lee, B. H. (2017a). The development of DIY product for spreading traditional birth-clothes product. Journal of Korean Traditional Costume, 20(1), 17-30. doi:10.16885/jktc.2017.03.20.1.17 https://doi.org/10.16885/jktc.2017.03.20.1.17
- Lee, D. B. (2017b, November 22). "Open 8 wallets" ... 'Baby and kids marketing' in Home electronics industry. Chosun Biz. Retrieved February 28, 2018, from http://biz.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2017/11/21/2017112102913.html
- Lee, O. K., Pyo, S. Y., Kim H. S., Kim, P. D., & Lee, H. W. (1994). A study of improvement on washing and rinsing efficiency - Effect of the dissolution of detergent on washing and rinsing efficiency -. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 18(1), 23-30.
- Lee, S. Y., & Lee, J. S. (2007). Consumer's behaviors on the laundering of baby's clothing - Comparison of washing machine types -. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 31(8), 1231-1239. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2007.31.8.1231 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2007.31.8.1231
- Roh, E. K., & Kwon, S. H. (2018). A study of current newborn clothing and consumer complaints. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 20(2), 128-142. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2018.20.2.128 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2018.20.2.128
- Ryu, H. S., Roh, E. K., Ju, J. A., Oh, Y. K., Cho, K. H., & Kwak, S. W. (2007). Subjective hand and preference of washed fabrics according to detergent of drum type washer. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 31(1), 57-67. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2007.31.1.057 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2007.31.1.057
- 'Safety policy'. (2012, May 28). Safe Korea-Product Safety Information Center. Retrieved February 28, 2018, from http://www.safetykorea.kr/policy/b_marketGeneralIndustrial
- 'Safety standards for industrial products subject to autonomous safety check'. (2015, April 15). Korean Agency for Technology and Standards. Retrieved February 28, 2018, from http://www.law.go.kr/LSW/admRulInfoP.do?admRulSeq=2200000039025
- Samsung Publishing Co. (2017). Encyclopedia of pregnancy and childbirth. Seoul: Author.
- Song, K. H., Jung, Y. H., & Kim, H. M. (1998). A study on the change of physical properties of lining fabric by washing. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 7(1), 175-182.
- Yoon, H. Y. (2010). Study on the new-born baby wear applying Korean image. Unpublished master's thesis, Dong Eui University, Busan.
- Yu, D. H. (2018, January 25). New clothes that make your skin cry. The Health Kyunghyang. Retrieved February 2, 2018, from http://www.k-health.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=34174