- Volume 34 Issue 2
This study examined the state of awareness, consumption, and purchasing behavior of Kimchi among Chinese adults in Beijing and Shanghai. Two-hundred Chinese individuals in Beijing and Shanghai were included as study subjects. The subjects selected "good Kimchi for Chinese taste" as excellent Kimchi; however, only 13% of the subjects selected "Kimchi from Korea is excellent." The first sites of Kimchi consumption in China included "home" (59.0%) and "restaurants" (40.0%) in Beijing and "restaurants" (57.0%) and "home" (32.0%) in Shanghai. Chinese people primarily purchase 400g pouches of Kimchi more than once a month, and the average price of Kimchi is RMB 12.59 in Beijing and RMB 18.32 in Shanghai. These results suggest that the interest in Kimchi varieties and the countries producing it differ among Chinese consumers depending on the region. Therefore, a sensory evaluation of Kimchi is essential to determine the preferred flavor of Kimchi among Chinese individuals and to promote the consumption of traditional Korean Kimchi.
- Cheigh HS. 2002. Kimchi: nutrition, physiological characteristics and health function. 2002 Seoul International Symposium Korean Kimchi. pp 6-14
- Cho EJ, Rhee SH, Kang KS, Park KY. 1999. In vitro anticancer effect of Chinese cabbage Kimchi fractoins. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr., 28(6):1326-1331
- Choi JM. 2004. Kimchi awareness and preference survey for college students in China. Masters degree thesis. Yeungnam University.
- Han JS, Choi YH, Kim YJ, Kim TS, Han JP, Minamide T, Oka S, Kotsukue E. 1999. A survey of Japanese perception and preference for Kimchi. Korean J. Soc. Food Sci., 15(1):42-49
- Han JS, Han GP, Han GJ, Kim YJ. 2005a. A survey on Chinese in Beijing and Shanghai perception and preference for Korean Kimchi. Korean J. Food Curture, 20(6):744-753
- Han JS, Han GP, Han GJ, Kim YJ. 2007. A survey on Singapore University students' perception and preference for Korean Kimchi. J. East Asian Soc. Dietary Life, 17(6):780-788
- Han JS, Han GP, Lee JS, Kim YJ. 2005b. A survey on Chinese University students' in Beijing perception for Korean Kimchi. Korean J. Food Culture, 20(6):754-760
- Han JS, Han GP, Takahisa M, Lee SE, Kim YJ. 2004. A survey on Chinese University students' in Shanghai perception for Korean Kimchi. Korean J. Food Curture, 19(6):701-709
- Han JS, Hong JH, Suh BS, Byun JO. 2001. Chinese college students perception and preference of Korean Kimchi. J. East Asian Soc. Dietary Life, 11(1):44-59
- Hwang ES, Kim HS, Kim SH, Ko HJ, Lee MY, Yoon EK (2016) Quality and sensory characteristics of commercial Kimchi according to sodium contents. Korean J Food Sci
- Ji BP, Li B, Ji FD. 2002. The flavor of fermented vegetable and the industry in China. 2003 Seoul International Symposium on Korean kimchi. pp 109-121.
- Kim DY, Lee H, CHo Rw. 2013. Comparative study on awareness, perference and sensory evaluation of Kimchi in China and Korean students residing in Korea. Korean J. Food Culture, 28(2):158-166 https://doi.org/10.7318/KJFC/2013.28.2.158
- Kim EM, Kim YJ, Jeong MK. 2004 Preference and eating activities of Chinese for traditional Korean Kimchi. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr., 33(10): 1641-1645 https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.10.1641
- Kim MK. 2015. Consumer awareness on Omija using qualitative consumer research. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 25(3): 396-404. https://doi.org/10.17495/easdl.2015.6.25.3.396
- Kim SJ, Park HJ, Lee KH. 2011. Comparison of food neophobia scale and food involvement scale between Koreans and East-South Asians. Korean J Food Culture 26(5): 429-436.
- Korea Agro-Fisheries & Food Trade Corporation, 2014, Kimchi production, distribution and consumption trend in China (중국 내 김치 생산, 유통 및 소비동향), pp 3-9
- Lee EJ, Park SE, Choi HS, Han GJ, Kang SA, Park KY. 2010. Quality characteristics of kimchi fermented in permeability-controlled polyethylene containers. J Korean Food Preserv, 17, 793-799
- Lee JY, Kim KJ, Park, YH, Kim HR (2010) Preference and perception of Korean foods of foreign consumers by nationality. J Korean Soc Food Culture 25(1): 9-16.
- Lee MA, Choi YJ, Kim MK. 2017. Qualitative consumer preference studies on Korea-style Kimchi on Chinese living in Korea. J. East Asian Soc. Dietary Life, 27(2):185-193 https://doi.org/10.17495/easdl.2017.4.27.2.185
- Lee SR. 1986. Korean fermented foods (한국의 발효 식품). Ewha Women University Publishing. pp 141-193
- Lee YM, Kwon MJ, Kim JK, Suh HS, Choi JS, Song YO. 2004. Isolation and identificatoin of active principle in Chinese cabbage Kimchi responsible for antioxidant effect. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol., 36(1):129-133
- Meng XB, Lee YS, KIm YS, Tho JO. 2013. A study on the perception of the Korean Kimchi by the Chinese international students in Jeonbuk area. J. East Asian Soc. Dietary Life, 23(3):273-281
- Moon SW, Shin HK, Gi GE. 2003. Effects of xylitol and grapefruit sees extract on sensory value and fermentation of baechu Kimchi. Korean J Food Sci Technol 35: 246-253.
- Suh BS. 2001. A study on Korean, Japanese, Chinese, and American University student's perception and preference for Korean Kimchi. PhD. thesis. Yeungnam University. Technol 48(5): 413-417
- Yoo DH. 2015. China's economic main status in the first half of 2015 (2015년 중국 상반기 중국경제 주요 현황). INChinaBrief. Vol. 163: 6-7
Grant : 대중국 수출용 우수김치 품질지준 연구
Supported by : 농림부