- Volume 25 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Mediating and Moderating Effects of Multicultural Efficacy in the Relationship between Cultural Empathy and Cultural Competence in Child Care Teachers
보육교사의 문화적 공감과 문화적 역량에 대한 다문화 효능감의 매개효과와 조절효과
- Oh, Won-Oak (College of Nursing, Korea University) ;
- Park, Il Tae (College of Nursing, Korea University) ;
- Song, Minju (College of Nursing, Korea University)
- Received : 2019.01.24
- Accepted : 2019.04.05
- Published : 2019.04.30
Purpose: This study examined the mediating and moderating effects of multicultural efficacy in the relationship between cultural empathy and cultural competence in child care teachers. Methods: A cross-sectional descriptive survey design was used. The participants were 277 child care teachers at private and public daycare centers in G and S districts of Seoul. The survey instruments included a cultural empathy questionnaire, a multicultural efficacy scale, and a cultural competence scale. Data were analyzed using the SPSS and AMOS programs. For data analysis, descriptive statistics, correlation, and mediating and moderating effect analyses were performed. Bootstrapping was implemented to verify the mediating effect of the model developed herein. Results: Positive correlations among cultural empathy, multicultural efficacy, and cultural competence were noted. Multicultural efficacy showed a significant mediating effect on the relationships between cultural empathy and cultural competence. However, there was no moderating effect. Conclusion: In order to enhance the cultural competence of child care teachers, it is necessary to develop a strategy that can promote their cultural empathy and multicultural efficacy. Furthermore, these results will ultimately enhance the role of child care teachers, thus contributing to the normal growth and development of multicultural children.
Supported by : 성북구, 구로구 보육지원센터
- Ministry of Gender Equality and Familly. Number of international marriage by country [Internet]. Seoul: Ministry of Gender Equality and Familly; 2017 [cited 2018 April 30]. Available from: http://index.go.kr/potal/main/EachDtlPageDetail.do?idx_cd=2430.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. 2017 Korea childcare statistics [Internet]. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2017 [cited 2018 March 30]. Avilable from: http://www.korea.kr/archive/expDocView.do?docId=38011.
- Banks JA. An introduction to multicultural education. 4th ed. Mo KH, Choi CO, Kim MJ, Lim JS, translators. Seoul: Acadamy Press; 2008. p. 225.
- Lee GR, Kim YO. The mediating effect of multicultural teaching efficacy on the relationships among early childhood teachers' sensitivity, understanding, and attitudes toward multicultural education. Korean Journal of Early Childhood Education. 2012;32(3):197-223. https://doi.org/10.18023/kjece.2012.32.3.009
- Campinha-Bacote J. The process of cultural competence in the delivery of healthcare services: A model of care. Journal of Transcultural Nursing. 2002;13(3):181-184. https://doi.org/10.1177/10459602013003003 https://doi.org/10.1177/10459602013003003
- McClelland DC. Testing for cultural competence rather than 'intelligence'. American Psychologist. 1973;28(1):1-14. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0034092 https://doi.org/10.1037/h0034092
- Yoon GJ. The effects of cultural empathy, critical thinking disposition and problem-solving on the cultural competence of early childhood preservice teachers. Korean Journal of Culture and Arts Education Studies. 2014;9(3);105-129. https://doi.org/10.15815/kjcaes.2014.9.3.105
- Park JY, Cho KJ. Empathy and cultural impact of the pre-service early childhood teachers on multicultural education and multicultural sensitivity and understanding attitude. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. 2016;17(10):439-448. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.10.439 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.10.439
- Kim YI. Background of nursery teacher and the influence multi- culture environment has on multi-culture efficacy [master's thesis]. Suwon: Kyonggi University; 2010. p. 1-76.
- Yang SY. The study on relationship between characteristics of cultural exchanges, self-efficacy, and cultural competency of nursing students. Journal of The Korea Contents Association. 2014;14(7):334-345. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.07.334
- Park EJ, Lee HR. The relationship between pre-service early childhood teachers' cultural competency and multicultural teaching efficacy. Journal of Parent Education. 2016;8(3):203-217.
- Peak EH, Park CS. Effects of a multicultural education program on the cultural competence, empathy and self-efficacy of nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2013;43(5):690-696. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.5.690
- Kim TD. A study on the factors affecting multicultural efficacy for child care teacher. Korea Journal of Child Care and Education. 2011;66:89-108.
- Chung HW. The effects of cultural orientation mediated by multicultural teaching efficacy on multicultural teaching competence among early childhood teachers. Early Childhood Education and Care. 2013;8(2):5-27. https://doi.org/10.16978/ecec.2013.8.2.001
- Freire C, Ferradas MDM, Nunez JC, Valle A, Vallejo G. Eudaimonic well-being and coping with stress in university students: The mediating/ moderating role of self-efficacy. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public health. 2018;16(1):48. https://doi.org/doi:10.3390/ijerph16010048 https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph16010048
- Bennett JA. Mediator and moderator variables in nursing research: Conceptual and statistical differences. Research in Nursing and Health. 2000;23(5):415-420. https://doi.org/10.1002/1098-240X(200010)23:5<415::AID-NUR8>3.0.CO;2-H
- Joreskog KG, Sorbom D. Lisrel 7: A guide to the program and applications. 2nd ed. Chicago: SPSS International; 1989. p. 342
- Lee GH. Social science research methodology. 1st ed. Paju: Bobmunsa; 2008. p. 345.
- Wang YW, Davidson MM, Yakushko OF, Savoy HB, Tan JA, Bleier JK. The scale of ethnocultural empathy: Development, validation, and reliability. Journal of Counseling Psychology. 2003;50(2):221-234. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0220.127.116.11 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-018.104.22.168
- Guyton EM, Wesche MV. The multicultural efficacy scale: Development, item selection, and reliability. Multicultural Perspectives. 2005;7(4):21-29. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327892mcp0704_4 https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327892mcp0704_4
- Choi SY. A study on the development of cultural competence measure for helping professions. Journal of Community Welfare. 2010;35:23-53.
- Kang HC. Discussions on the suitable interpretation of model fit indices and the strategies to fit model in structural equation modeling. Journal of The Korean Data Analysis Society. 2013;15(2):653-668.
- Kim JY. A study on color-blind racial attitudes and cultural competence of service providers in multicultural settings: Focusing on moderating effects of cultural empathy and multicultural training [dissertation]. Seoul: The Catholic University of Korea; 2013. p. 1-189.
- Park SY. Relationship between self-reflection, critical thinking disposition, muti cultural experience and cultural competence in nursing students. Journal of Digital Convergence. 2016;14(12):345-355. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.12.345
- Lee HR. Development and effectiveness of multicultural education curriculum for enhancing cultural competence of pre-service early childhood teachers [dissertation]. Daegu: Kyungpook National University; 2014. p. 1-186.
- Kim MS, Shin DS. Factors influencing cultural competence of nursing students. Journal of The Korean Data Analysis Society. 2016;18(6):3437-3450.
- Rasoal C, Eklund J, Hansen EM. Toward a conceptualization of ethnocultural empathy. Journal of Social, Evolutionary, and Cultural Psychology. 2011;5(1):1-13. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0099278 https://doi.org/10.1037/h0099278
- Gallavan NP. Seven perceptions influencing novice teachers' efficacy and cultural competence. Journal of Praxis in Multicultural Education. 2007;2(1):6-22.
- Saks AM. Longitudinal field investigation of the moderating and mediating effects of self-efficacy on the relationship between training and newcomer adjustment. The Journal of Applied Psychology. 1995;80(2):211-225. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.80.2.211
- Chung HW. Influence of cultural orientation on multicultural teaching efficacy among early childhood preservice teachers: Multicultural sensitivity as a mediator. International Journal of Early Childhood Education. 2012;32(3):309-329. https://doi.org/10.18023/kjece.2012.32.3.014