- Volume 10 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Relationships between Health Promoting Lifestyle, Health Belief about Emerging Infectious Disease and Hygiene Behavior of College Students
대학생의 건강증진 생활양식, 신종전염병 감염에 대한 건강신념 및 위생행위 간의 관계
- Received : 2019.02.11
- Accepted : 2019.04.20
- Published : 2019.04.28
This study was performed to examine relationships between the levels of health promoting lifestyle, health beliefs about emerging infectious disease and hygiene behavior of college students. A descriptive research design was used, and 252 subjects were recruited from an university in Seoul. Data were collected from August to November, 2018. As result, health promoting lifestyle differed significantly depending on gender and perceived health status. Hygiene behavior were significantly influenced by major, health promoting lifestyle, and health beliefs about emerging infectious disease. In providing health-related education to college students, it is necessary to include content that can establish health beliefs about emerging infectious disease, and to develop a program that comprehensively deals with hygiene activities that can prevent these diseases.
Health Promoting Lifestyle;Health Belief;Emerging Infectious disease;Hygiene Behavior
- H. S. Choi. (2015). Comparison of hygiene behavior between college students and adults. Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, 5(4), 315-322.
- K. Glanz, B. K. Rimer & K. Viswanath. (2008). Health behavior and health education: Theory, research and practice. 4th ed. San Francisco : Jossey-Bass, pp.45-62.
- O. Erkin & S. Ozsoy. (2012). Validity and reliability of health belief model applied to influenza. Academic Research International, 2(3), 31-40.
- G. Guvenc, A. Akyuz & C. H. Acikel. (2011). Health belief model scale for cervical cancer and Pap smear test: psychometric testing. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 67(2), 428-437. DOI : 10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05450.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05450.x
- N. H. Choi, H. S. Ahn & S. Lee. (2011). Comparison of health belife levels and health behavior practices according to lifestyle among adults residing in Seoul. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition, 16(6), 683-696. DOI : 10.5720/kjcn.2011.16.6.683 https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2011.16.6.683
- O. H. Bae & S. O. Hong. (2008). The study of the effect of self-differentiation degree on stress level and stress coping strategies in college students. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 17(1), 27-34. DOI : 10.5934/KJHE.2008.17.1.027 https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2008.17.1.027
- H. K. Kim. (2007). Gender differences in health promoting behavior and related factors among university students using Pender's health promotion model. The Journal of Educational Research, 21, 201-222.
- J. H. Lee & W. Hu. (2017). Body image perception, weight control and dietary behavior of university students in Daejeon. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 26(4), 353-367. DOI : 10.5934/kjhe.2017.26.4.353 https://doi.org/10.5934/kjhe.2017.26.4.353
- M. R. Lee. (2012). The relationship between alcohol use and drinking problems among college students. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 13(10), 4619-4628. DOI : 10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.10.4619 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.10.4619
- H. S. Kim, E-G. Oh, H-K. Hyong & E. S. Cho. (2008). A study on factors influencing health promotion lifestyle in college students. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, 19(3), 506-520.
- M. S. Lee & M. K. Woo. (2003). Differences in the dietary and health-related habits and quality of diet in university students living in Deajeon. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition, 8(1), 33-40.
- N. J. Pender. (1987). Health promotion in nursing practice. First edition. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- M. S. Ko & J. N. Jeong. (2012). The mediating effects of health promoting lifestyle in the relationship between life stress and adaptation to college life of health department college students. The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, 6(4), 131-142. DOI : 10.12811/kshsm.2012.6.4.131 https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2012.6.4.131
- World Health Organization. (2018). Pandemic (H1N1). http://www.who.int/en
- Wikipedia. (2017). Hygiene. https://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/%EC%9C%84%EC%83%9D
- A. Main, Q. Zhou, Y. Ma, L. J. Luecken & X. Liu. (2011). Relations of SARS-related stressors and coping to Chines college students' psychological adjustment during the 2003 Beijing SARS epidemic. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 58(3), 410-423. DOI : 10.1037/a0023632 https://doi.org/10.1037/a0023632
- W. J. Kim. (2009). Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, and management of pandemic novel Influenza A (H1N1). The Korean Journal of Medicine, 77(2), 157-164.
- D. H. Lee, J. Y. Kim & H. S. Kang. (2016). The emotional distress and fear of contagion related to middle east respiratory syndrome (MERS) on general public in Korea. The Korean Journal of Psychology: General, 35(2), 355-383. https://doi.org/10.22257/kjp.2016.06.35.2.355
- B. J. Cowling, K. H. Chan, V. J. Fang, C. K. Cheng, R. O. Fung, W. Wai, J. Sin, W. H. Seto, R. Yung, D. W. Chu, B. C. Chiu, P. W. Lee, M. C. Chiu, H. C. Lee, T. M. Uyeki, P. M. Houck, J. S. Peiris & G. M. Leung. (2009). Facemasks and hand hygiene to prevent influenza transmission in households: a cluster randomized trial. Annals Internal Medicine, 151(7), 437-446. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-151-7-200910060-00142
- R. I. Ejemot-Nwadiaro, J. E. Ehiri, D. Arikpo, M. M. Meremikwu & J. A. Critchley. (2015). Hand washing promotion for preventing diarrhoea. Cochrane Database Systematic Reviews, Sep 3(9), CD004265. DOI : 10.1002/14651858.CD004265.pub3 https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD004265.pub3
- A. E. Aiello, E. L. Larson & R. Sedlak. (2008). Personal health bringing good hygiene home. American Journal of Infection Control, 36(10 Suppl), 152-165. DOI : 10.1016/j.ajic.2008.09.009 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2008.09.009
- K. S. Kim, J. S. Jeong & S. H. Choi. (2012). Survey for hygiene behavior on healthcare personnel by hygiene inventory 23. Journal of Nosocomial Infection Control, 17(1), 40-51.
- J. H. Kim, D. H. Byeon, M. J. Kim, S. S. Sim, H. S. Choo, G. J. Chai & C. Y. Gawk. (2011). Handwashing and prevention measures for new types of influenza. Journal of Korean Biology Nursing Science, 13(1), 16-22.
- S. N. Yun & J. H. Kim. (1999). Health-promoting behaviors of the women workers at the manufacturing industry-based on the Pender's health promotion model-. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, 8(2), 130-140.
- R. J. Stevenson, T. I. Case, D. Hodgson, R. Porzg-Drummond, J. Barouei & M. J. Oaten. (2009). A scale for measuring hygiene behavior: development, reliability and validity. American Journal of Infection Control, 37(7), 557-564. DOI : 10.1016/j.ajic.2009.01.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2009.01.003
- S. H. Hong. (2018). Convergence study of health promoting behaviors between nursing students and general college students. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 9(6), 339-346. DOI : 10.15207/JKCS.2018.9.6.339 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2018.9.6.339
- R. L. Lee & A. J. Loke. (2005). Health-promoting behaviors and psychosocial well-being of university students in Hong Kong. Public Health Nursing. 22(3), 209-220. DOI : 10.1111/j.0737-1209.2005.220304.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0737-1209.2005.220304.x
- S. M. Park, J. Y. Lee & J. S. Choi. (2010). Affecting factors on health behavior of university students during pandemic influenza A (H1N1). Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 16(2), 249-256. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.2.249
- S. O. Bin. (2012). Structure relationships of knowledge, perception, attitude and preventive behavior for communicable diseases. Journal of the Korea Society of Health Informatics and Statistics, 37(2), 57-71.
Supported by : Sahmyook University