- Volume 10 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Affecting Factors on Performance of Standard Precaution for Healthcare associated Infection Control and Prevention in Nursing Students: focused on Patient Safety Attitude, Empowerment, Awareness
간호대학생의 의료관련감염 관리를 위한 표준주의지침 수행도 영향요인 : 환자안전에 대한 태도, 임파워먼트, 인지도를 중심으로
Park, Min Kyoung;Ahn, Mi Na
- Received : 2019.02.07
- Accepted : 2019.04.20
- Published : 2019.04.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate the relationship between attitude toward patient safety, empowerment and awareness, performance of standard precaution for healthcare associated infection control and prevention and to identify the influencing factors of the performance in nursing students. The participants were 185 nursing students on one college in J city, Data collection was conducted from september 10 to 21, 2018. The collected data were analyzed with independent t-test, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficient and stepwise multiple regression using SPSS Statistics 22.0 program. As a result of multiple regression analysis showed that the factors influencing the performance of the standard precaution were awareness, empowerment, participation in the patient safety campaign and the performance was explained by 51.0%. Therefore, In order to improve the performance of standard precaution for nursing students, various convergent education programs should be applied to raise awareness and improve empowerment, and it is necessary to seek ways for nursing students to participate actively in patient safety campaigns.
Patient safety attitude;Empowerment;Standard precaution;Awareness;Performance
- L, Adler et al. (2018). Impact of inpatient harms on hospital finances and patient clinical outcomes. Journal of patient safety, 14(2), 1-7. DOI: 10.1097/PTS.0000000000000171 https://doi.org/10.1097/PTS.0000000000000171
- K, Yum. (2013). Management and perspectives of patient safety in healthcare. Journal of the Korean Medical Association, 56(6), 454-458. DOI: 10.5124/jkma.2013.56.6.454 https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2013.56.6.454
- KCDC (2017). Guidelines for prevention and control of Healthcare associated infections. Seoul : Hanmibook.
- S. J. Lee, J. Y. Park and N. Jo. (2017). Influence of Knowledge and Awareness on Nursing Students' Performance of Standard Infection Control Guidelines. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration 23(4), 347-358. DOI: 10.11111/jkana.2017.23.4.347 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2017.23.4.347
- M. R. Kim. (2011). Concept Analysis of Patient Safety. Jnournal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 41(1), 1-8. DOI: 10.4040/jkan.2011.41.1.1 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.1.1
- WHO (2018). "patient safety." Retrieved 6th. Aug., 2018, from http://www.who.int/patientsafety/en/.
- J-H., Yoo. (2018). Principle and perspective of healthcare-associated infection control. Journal of the Korean Medical Association, 61(1), 5-12 DOI: 10.5124/jkma.2018.61.1.5 https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2018.61.1.5
- J. P. Burke. (2003). Infection control-a problem for patient safety. The New England journal of medicine, 348(7), 651-656. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMhpr020557
- R. D, Scott. (2009). The direct medical costs of healthcare-associated infections in US hospitals and the benefits of prevention. Atlanta : CDC. DHQP
- E-C, Kim. (2011). Current Status of Healthcareassociated Infections in Korea. Hanyang Medical Reviews, 31(3), 135-140. https://doi.org/10.7599/hmr.2011.31.3.135
- B, Allegranzi .& D, Pittet. (2009). Role of hand hygiene in healthcare-associated infection prevention. Journal of Hospital Infection, 73(4), 305-315. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhin.2009.04.019 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2009.04.019
- WHO. (2004). Practical guidelines for infection control in health care facilities. Manila : WPRO Regional Publication.
- S. Y. Jeong. (2008). Standard Precaution among the latest isolation guidelines. Korean Journal of Nosocomial Infection Control, 3-8.
- B. Bolton .& J. Brookings. (1998). Development of a measure of intrapersonal empowerment. Rehabilitation Psychology, 43(2), 131-142. https://doi.org/10.1037/0090-55220.127.116.11
- C. H. Gibson(1991). A concept analysis of empowerment. Journal of advanced nursing, 16(3), 354-361. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.1991.tb01660.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.1991.tb01660.x
- I-S. Park & H-Y. Lee. (2013). The Relationship of Self-Empowerment, Academic Self-Efficacy, Learning Motivation and Outcome among Nursing Students. Health Service Management Review, 7(4), 13-26.
- J-Y. Yun, S-O. Kim & I-S. Kim. (2014). Influencing Factors on Practice of Healthcare-associated Infection Control among Clinical Nurses. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing. 23(4), 208-218. DOI: 10.5807/kjohn.2014.23.4.208 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2014.23.4.208
- S. J. Weaver, K. Weeks, J. C. Pham & P. J, Pronovost. (2014). On the CUSP: Stop BSI: Evaluating the relationship between central line-associated bloodstream infection rate and patient safety climate profile. American journal of infection control, 42(10), 203-208. DOI: 10.1016 /j.ajic.2014.05.020 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2014.05.020
- M. Vaismoradi, M. Salsali, & P. Marck. (2011). Patient safety: nursing students' perspectives and the role of nursing education to provide safe care. International Nursing Review, 58(4), 434-442. DOI: 10.1111 / j.1466-7657.2011.00882.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1466-7657.2011.00882.x
- H-S. Jeong, J-H Kong. & Mi-Y. Jeon. (2017). Factors Influencing Confidence in Patient Safety Management in Nursing Students. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 8(6), 121-130. DOI: 10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.6.121 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.6.121
- J. Park. & M. Park. (2014). Knowledge, Attitude, and Confidence on Patient Safety of Undergraduate Nursing Students. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 20(1), 5-14 DOI: 10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.1.5 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.1.5
- S-U. Wie. (2019). Attitude and Confidence on Patient Safety of Undergraduate Healthcare profession students. Journal of Digital Convergence. 17(2), 1-9. DOI: 10.14400/JDC.2019.17.2.265 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2019.17.2.265
- J-Y. Oh, J-Y. Mun. & H-K. Oh. (2016). Affecting Factors on Performance of Nursing Students regarding Standard Precautions for Healthcare associated Infection Control and Prevention. Journal of Health Informatics and Statistics, 41(3), 270-277. DOI: 10.21032/jhis.2016.41.3.270 https://doi.org/10.21032/jhis.2016.41.3.270
- S-Y. Hong, Y-S. Kwon. & H-O. Park. (2012). Nursing Students Awareness and Performance on Standard Precautions of Infection Control in the Hospital. The Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education, 18(2), 293-302. DOI: 10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.2.293 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.2.293
- M-R. Jung. (2018). Effects of Empowerment and Regarding Standard Precautions for Healthcare associated Infection Control in Healthcare Workers on Performances. Journal of Digital Convergence. 16(2), 243-250. DOI: 10.14400/JDC.2018.16.2.243 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2018.16.2.243
- E-J. Yoon & Y. Park. (2018). Factors Influencing Nursing Students' Performance of Standard Precaution for Healthcare-Associated Infection Control. Journal of Convergence for Information Technology. 8(5), 19-27. DOI: 10.22156/CS4SMB.2018.8.5.019 https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2018.8.5.019
- Y. Hyeon. (2015). The Relationship Among Self-Efficacy, Attitude of Patient Safty and Safty Care Performance, in Nursing Students. Doctoral dissertation. Place Department of Nursing Graduate School, Keimyng University. Daegu-si.
- W. S. Madigosky, L. A. Headrick, K. Nelson, K. R. Cox & T. Anderson. (2006). Changing and sustaining medical students' knowledge, skills, and attitudes about patient safety and medical fallibility. Academic Medicine, 81(1), 94-101. https://doi.org/10.1097/00001888-200601000-00022
- H. Safarpour, M. Tofighi, L. Malekyan, J. Bazyar, S. Varasteh & R. Anvary. (,2017). Patient Safety Attitudes, Skills, Knowledge and Barriers Related to Reporting Medical Errors by Nursing Students. International Journal of Clinical Medicine, 8(01), 1-11. DOI: 10.4236/ijcm.2017.81001 https://doi.org/10.4236/ijcm.2017.81001
- H-K. Kwon, J-S. Jeong, B-I Lee and J-H. Kim. (2015). Awareness and correlation of patient safety culture and standard precautions among health care personnel. Quality Improvement in Health Care, 21(2), 58-72. DOI: 10.14371/QIH.2015.21.2.58 https://doi.org/10.14371/QIH.2015.21.2.58
- H. S. Kim. (2002). Development of a measure of Youth Empowerment. Journal of the Korean society of child welfare, (14), 91-113.
- R. Schnall, P. Stone. L. Currie, K. Desjardins R. M. John & S. Bakken. (2008). Development of a self-report instrument to measure patient safety attitudes, skills, and knowledge. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 40(4), 391-394. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2008.00256.x
- K. C. Lim, M. Park & G. Shin. (2017). Influences of Sense of Ethics and Attitude toward Patient Safety in the Confidence in Patient Safety in Nursing Students. Journal of Muscle and Joint Health., 24(2), 140-149. DOI: 10.5953/JMJH.2017.24.2.140 https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2017.24.2.140
- N-J. Lee, H. Jang & S. Y. Park. (2016). Patient safety education and baccalaureate nursing students' patient safety competency: A cross-sectional study. Nursing & health sciences, 18(2), 163-171. DOI: 10.11111/jkana.2017.23.4.347 https://doi.org/10.1111/nhs.12237
- C. M. Ko. (2017). Effects of empowerment and emotional intelligence in the relationship between clinical practicum stress and burnout among nursing college students. Korean Journal of Stress Research, 25(2), 120-127. DOI: 10.17547/kjsr.2017.25.2.120 https://doi.org/10.17547/kjsr.2017.25.2.120
- J-H. Shim, T-H. Cha & D-W. Oh. (2009). A Study on Empowerment, Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment Perceived by Clinical Occupational Therapists. The Journal of Korean Society of Occupational Therapy, 17(3), 111-120.
- J-Y. Choi, E-K. Kim & S. Y. Kim. (2014). Effects of Empowerment and Job Satisfaction on Nursing Performance of Clinical Nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Admonistration, 20(4), 426-436. DOI: 10.11111/jkana.2014.20.4.426 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.4.426
- MOHW (2018). Comprehensive Plan for Healthcare-Related Preventive Management ['18-22]. Sejong.-si.