- Volume 10 Issue 4
The purpose of this study was to investigate the main results of the nursing intervention program for reducing depression in menopausal women in Korea and to investigate the effects of systematic review of literature. Research methods were searched for RISS, KMbase, KoreaMed and KISS as domestic databases and limited to domestic papers published in last 10 years from 2006 to 2015. The analysis of 14 articles showed that exercised therapy among the various nursing intervention programs provided significant effects on reducing depression. The intervention methods provided oral education, demonstration training, and practical training, 6 sessions, 60 sessions per session, 5~10 weeks for intervention, and 6~12 weeks for intervention. Depression in menopausal women is not a temporary or short-term emotional state. So it is necessary to provide appropriate exercises that can be applied for their own, regardless of daily life.
Complement alternative therapy;Climacteric Women;Exercise;Menopause;Middle-aged women;Systematic Review
- Korean Statistical information Service. (2017). 2017 life table. KOSIS [Online]. http://kosis.kr/statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId=101&tblId=DT_1B41&conn_path=I2
- C. Penn, D. Lekan-Rutledge, A. M. Joers, J. M. Stolley & N. V. Amhof. (1996). Assessment of urinary incontinence. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 22(1), 8-19. https://doi.org/10.3928/0098-9134-19960101-04
- P. A. van Keep & J. M. Kellerhals. (1975). The ageing woman: about the influence of some social and cultural factors on the changes in attitude and behaviour that occur during and after the menopause. Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, 54(51 Suppl), 18-27.
- N. Parand avar, L. Mosalanejad, S. Ramezanli & F. Ghavi. (2014). Menopause and crisis? Fake or real: comprehensive search to the depth of crisis experienced: a mixed-method study. Global Journal of Health Science, 6(2), 246-255. DOI: 10.5539/gjhs.v6n2p246
- A. Y. Park & S. H. Lee. (2012). The effects of reiki self-healing on climacteric symptoms of middle-aged women. Korean Journal of Woman Psychology, 17(2), 95-114. https://doi.org/10.18205/kpa.2012.17.2.001
- C. S. McClain, B. Rosenfeld & W. Breitbart. (2003). Effect of spiritual well-being on end-of-life despair in terminally-ill cancer patients. Lancet, 361(9369), 1603-1607. DOI: 10.1016/s0140-6736(03)13310-7 https://doi.org/10.1016/s0140-6736(03)13310-7
- C. Y. Hong & M. Yoon. (2013). The effect of spirituality on happiness and depression of women in midlife. Korean Journal of Woman Psychology, 18(1), 219-242. https://doi.org/10.18205/kpa.2013.18.1.010
- H. K. Jang & B. K. Cha. (2003). Influencing factors of climacteric women's depression. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 33(7), 972-980. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.7.972
- A. H. Clayton & P. T. Ninan. (2010). Depression or menopause? Presentation and management of major depressive disorder in perimenopausal and postmenopausal women. Primary Care Companion to the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 12(1), PCC.08r00747. DOI: 10.4088/PCC.08r00747blu https://doi.org/10.4088/PCC.08r00747blu
- R. C. Kessler. (2003). Epidemiology of women and depression. Journal of Affective Disorders, 74(1), 5-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-0327(02)00426-3
- N. Rasgon, S. Shelton & U. Halbreich. (2005). Perimenopausal mental disorders: epidemiology and phenomenology. CNS Spectrums, 10(6), 471-478. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1092852900023166
- L. Hoga, J. Rodolpho, B. Goncalves & B. Quirino. (2015). Women's experience of menopause: a systematic review of qualitative evidence. JBI Database of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports, 13(8), 250-337. DOI: 10.11124/jbisrir-2015-1948 https://doi.org/10.11124/jbisrir-2015-1948
- A. R. Song. (2005). Health factors related to management of menopause among climacteric women. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 11(1), 12-19.
- H. Y. Chiu, C. H. Pan, Y. K. Shyu, B. C. Han & P. S. Tsai. (2015). Effects of acupuncture on menopause-related symptoms and quality of life in women in natural menopause: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Menopause, 22(2), 234-244. DOI: 10.1097/gme.0000000000000260 https://doi.org/10.1097/gme.0000000000000260
- M. C. Wilmoth. (1996). The middle years: women, sexuality, and the self. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing, 25(7), 615-621. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1552-6909.1996.tb02121.x
- S. Y. Kim et al. (2011). NECA's guidance for undertaking systematic reviews and meta-analyses for intervention. Seoul: National Evidence-based Healthcare Collaborating Agency.
- W. W. K. Zung. (1965). A self-rating depression scale. Archives of General Psychiatry, 12(1), 63-70. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1965.01720310065008
- L. S. Radloff. (1977). The CES-D scale: a self-report depression scale for research in the general population. Applied Psychological Measurment, 1(3), 385-401. https://doi.org/10.1177/014662167700100306
- A. T. Beck. (1967). Depression: clinical, experimental, and theoretical aspects. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press.
- C. D. Spielberger, R. L. Gorsuch, R. Lushene, P. R. Vagg & G. A. Jacobs. (1983). Manual for the state-trait anxiety inventory. Palo Alto: Consulting Psychologists Press.
- Y. S. Lee. (2004). Medical evaluation of the complementary and alternative medicine. Korean Journal of Law and Medicine, 5(1), 45-65.
- J. Oh & J. H. Lee. (2003). An analysis of nursing research related to the mother-child interaction in Korea. Korean Journal of Child Health Nursing, 9(2), 149-161.
- S. Bench, T. Day & A. Metcalfe. (2013). Randomised controlled trials: An introduction for nurse researchers. Nurse Researcher, 20(5), 38-44. https://doi.org/10.7748/nr2013.05.20.5.38.e312
- Y. K. Kim & S. H. Lim. (2011). The relationship between leisure attitude and depression of yoga exercise participants. Korean Journal of Sport, 9(2), 205-214.
- S. Shim & K. Choi. (2013). An implementation of sample size and power calculations in testing differences of normal means. Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 24(3), 477-485. https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2013.24.3.477
- D. Scully, J. Kremer, M. M. Meade, R. Graham & K. Dudgeon. (1998). Physical exercise and psychological well being: a critical review. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 32(2), 111-120. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.32.2.111
- M. W. Beets & E. Mitchell. (2010). Effects of yoga on stress, depression, and health-related quality of life in a nonclinical, bi-ethnic sample of adolescents: a pilot study. Hispanic Health Care International, 8(1), 47-53. https://doi.org/10.1891/1540-418.104.22.168
- D. Crews, M. R. Lochbaum & D. M. Landers. (2004). Aerobic physical activity effects on psychological well-being in low-income hispanic children 1, 2. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 98(1), 319-324. https://doi.org/10.2466/pms.98.1.319-324
- T. Mendelson, M. T. Greenberg, J. K. Dariotis, L. F. Gould, B. L. Rhoades & P. J. Leaf. (2010). Feasibility and preliminary outcomes of a school-based mindfulness intervention for urban youth. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 38(7), 985-994. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10802-010-9418-x
- J. S. Park & C. H. Cho. (2000). Effects of dan-jun breathing training and sport activities on the youngsters' mental health. Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, 14, 155-165.
- H. Y. Kim, J. Y. Koo & M. S. Lee. (2012). Effect of horticultural activity on reduction of stress in climacteric urban housewives. Journal of People Plants and Environment, 15(6), 435-440. https://doi.org/10.11628/ksppe.2012.15.6.435
- R. Kaplan. (2001). The nature of the view from home psychological benefits. Environment and Behavior, 33(4), 507-542. https://doi.org/10.1177/00139160121973115
- M. S. Koh, H. C. Koh, H. S. Kim, M. W. Park & K. H. Lee. (1992). Trends in Korean nursing research related to womens' health. Nursing Science, 4, 5-16.
- H. J. Hwang, Y. A. Lee, J. E. Song & K. C. Son. (2007). Effect of horticultural therapy based upon reality therapy on the reduction of depression, the change in parental sense of competence, and stress coping types of elementary student's mother. Korean Journal of Horticultural Science & Technology, 25(3), 268-276.
- S. H. Lee. (2002). Effects of aromatherapy program on depression and fatigue in middle aged women. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 8(3), 435-445.
- H. S. Oh & S. A. Ahn. (2006). The effects of foot reflexology on pain and depression of middle-aged women with osteoarthritis. Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Nursing, 9(1), 25-33.
- S. G. Back. (2015). Effects of using convergence circuit weight training on the blood lipids and oxygen-carrying factors in middle-aged women. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 6(5), 329-336. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.329
- S. G. Back. (2015). Effects of using prop for convergence pilates met exercise on the immunoglobulin in middle-aged women. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 6(5), 329-336. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.329
- H. S. Park, G. Y. Cho, M. O. Kim & S. R. Lee. (2005). A study on use of complementary-alternative therapy in middle-aged women. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 11(3), 193-201.