- Volume 10 Issue 4
This study analyzes whether Income Contingent Loan achieves the policy goal of reducing the burden on higher education expenses with the emphasis on the repayment structure of the loan system and suggest ways to improve the incumbent policy. The study found that the voluntary repayment amount of the loan is much higher than the mandatory repayment amount. Therefore, various policy improvement measures are needed to activate the original purpose of the loan. We proposes improvements to the repayment, such as diversification of the repayment base rate, introduction of the loan integration, and analysis of loan default probability. In addition, this study has policy and academic implications in that it has suggested policy improvement measures by analyzing various overseas cases.
Income Contingent Loan(ICL);Student Loan;Tuition;Scholarship;Human Capital
- College Tuition and Debt Burden. (2018.10.23.). The Seoul Shinmun. www.seoul.co.kr/news/newsView.php?id=20181024009006
- Youngsters with 59bn debts. (2018.11.3.). Joongang Iibo. news.joins.com/article/23091118
- No house for me. (2018.9.7.). The Chosun Ilbo. biz.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2018/09/07/2018090700290.html
- Korea Higher Education Research Institute. (2015). Student loans trippled in 4 years.
- More debts to buy a house. (2018.3.23.). The Hankyoreh. www.hani.co.kr/arti/society/society_general/837368.html)
- B. S. Han, & H. G. Kang. (2013). Analysis of Efficacy of The National Scholarship System and Policy Suggestions. Journal of The Korea Convergence Society, 9(12), 259-264.
- S. R. Park, & B. S. Han. (2018). History of Financial Support for Human Capital with Emphasis on Student Aid Policy. The Review of Business History, 28(3), 45-79.
- B. S. Han, & H. G. Kang. (2015). History of Derivatives Contracting on Student Loan. The Review of Business History, 30(2), 163-183.
- Korea Institute of Finance(2016). Analysis of Long-term Equilibrium for Student Loans
- Australian Taxation Office. (2013). Taxation Statistics 2010-2011
- Ionescu, F. A. (2008). Consolidation of student loan repayments and default incentives. The BE Journal of Macroeconomics, 8(1).
- Han, B. S., Kang, H. G., & Jun, S. G. (2015). Student loan and credit risk in Korea. Economics Letters, 135, 121-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.econlet.2015.08.018
- Chapman, B., Rodrigues, M., and Ryan, C., 2004, HECS for TAFE: The case for extending income contingent loans to the vocational education and training sector, Treasury Working Paper
- Schrag, P. G. (2007). Federal student loan repayment assistance for public interest lawyers and other employees of governments and nonprofit organizations. Hofstra L. Rev., 36, 27.
- Johnston, A., & Barr, N. (2013). Student loan reform, interest subsidies and costly technicalities: lessons from the UK experience. Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management, 35(2), 167-178. https://doi.org/10.1080/1360080X.2013.775925