- Volume 10 Issue 4
The purpose of this study is to test whether credit rating agencies highly evaluate the credit ratings of corporate bonds based upon management participation and ownership share by family governance in ownership structure forms. The samples of this study for empirical analysis were 1,449 non-financial companies listed on Korean Exchange from 2011 to 2016, over whose firm/year data this study conducted regression analysis. The results of empirical analysis in this study are as follows. First, family businesses had positive effects on the evaluation of corporate credit ratings. Second, if the ownership share of family businesses was higher, corporate credit ratings were higher. This result means that high ownership share in family businesses has very positive effects on the credit ratings of related businesses. It is meaningful that this study tested the effect that family businesses can alleviate agency problems and reduce information asymmetry. Furthermore, it is also academically meaningful that this study can contribute to future studies on the role of ownership structure.
corporate governance;family businesses;credit ratings;corporate bonds;ownership share
- S. S. Kim & J. I. Yoon. (2013). Effect of the Credit Ratings on the Capital Structure, Association of Business Administration, Korean Jouranl of Business Administration, 26(8), 2003-2019.
- S. H. Ashbaugh, D. W. Collins & R.. LaFond. (2006). The Effect of Corporate Governance on Firm's Credit Ratings, Journal of Accounting and Economics, 42, 203-243. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacceco.2006.02.003
- L. F. Klapper & I. Love. (2004). Corporate Governance Investor Protection and Performance in Emerging Markets, Journal of Corporate Finance, 10, 203-228.
- H. G. Lee & Y. G. Son. (2009). The Effect of Corporate Governance on Financial Performance and Firm Value, Korean Academic Society of Accounting, Korean Journal of Accounting Research, 14(2), 317-339.
- R. A. Cole & J. D. Wolken. (2001). Financial Services Used by Small Businesses, Federal Reserve Bulletin, 18, 630-667.
- S. Bhojraj & P. Sengupta. (2003). Effect of Corporate Governance on Bond Ratings and Yields, Journal of Business, 76, 455-475. https://doi.org/10.1086/344114
- M. T. Kim & C. E. Lee. (2012). The Effects of Earnings Management Characteristics on Credit Evaluation in KOSDAQ, Korea International Accounting Association, Korea International Accounting Review, 41, 17-38.
- R. Morck. A. Shleifer & R. Vishny. (1988). Management and Ownership and Market Valuation, Journal of Financial Economics, 20, 293-315. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(88)90048-7
- J. P. Choi, S. C. Ham &. H. K. Kim. (2003). A Study on the Relationships among Corporate Value, Debt Level, Investment Level and Corporate Ownership of Korean Firms, Association of Korean Economic Studies, Journal of Korean Economics Studies, (11), 5-44.
- M. T. Kim & Y. H. Kim.. (2007). The Impacts of Foreign Ownership and Outside Directors on Bond Grading, Korean Accounting Review, 32(4), 29-58.
- R. Watts. (2003). Conservatism in Accounting Part I, Accounting Horizon, 17, 207-221. https://doi.org/10.2308/acch.2003.17.3.207
- Standard & Poor's. (2002). Standard & Poor's Corporate Governance Scores: Criteria, Methodology and Definitions. McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc., New York.
- D. J. Yang, W. S. Kim & D. Y. Ko. (2011). The Effect of Loan Guarantees on the Guarantor Firm's Bond Rating, Korean Accounting Journal, 20(3), 101-124.
- R. S. Kaplan & G. Urwitz. (1979). Statistical Models of Bond Ratings : A Methodological Inquiry, Journal of Business, 52(2), 231-261. https://doi.org/10.1086/296045
- J. I. Park & H. J. Nam. (2010). The Effect of Income Smoothing, Accounting Conservatism, and Discretionary Accruals on Credit Ratings, Korean Management Review, 40(4), 1015-1053.
- J. Jiang. (2008). Beating Earmings Benchmarks and the Cost of Debt, The Accounting Review, 83(3), 377-416. https://doi.org/10.2308/accr.2008.83.2.377
- K. D. Choi, D. J. Yang & S. C. Seo. (2013) The Effect of BTD on Firm's Bond Rating, Korea International Accounting Association, Korean International Accounting Review, 51, 521-538.
- P. Sengupta. (1998). Corporate Disclosure Quality and The Cost of Debt, The Accounting Review, 73, 459-474.
- M. T. Kim. (2006). The Influence of KOSDAQ Firms' Earnings Management on Corporate Credit Grade, Korean Jouranl of Business Administration, 19(5), 1689-1709.
- S. Y. Ahn & D. J. Park. (2013). The Choice of a CEO and its Impact on Long-term Corporate Performance, Korean Strategic Management Society Journal of Strategic Management, 16(2), 57-87.
- S. Beiner, W. Drobetz, F. Schmid & H. Zimmermann. (2004). Is Board Size an Independent Corporate Governance Mechanism?, Journal of Kyklos, 57, 327-558. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0023-5962.2004.00257.x
- L. H. Ederington & J. Yawitz. (1986). The Bond Rating Process, In Handbook of Financial Markets and Institutions, 6th ed, New York, John Wiley and Sons.
- M. Faccio, L. Lang. & L. Young. (2001). Dividends and Expropriation, The American Economic Review, 9, 54-78.
- Fitch Ratings. (2004). Credit Policy Special Report: Evaluating Corporate Governance, New York.
Supported by : 한세대학교