- Volume 10 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Self-Regulating Learning Ability of General English and Spanish Learners in the Flipped Learning Strategy
거꾸로 학습 전략에 있어서 교양영어와 교양스페인어 학습자의 자기조절 학습능력에 관한 연구
Shin, Myeong-Hee;Kang, Pil Woon
- Received : 2019.03.05
- Accepted : 2019.04.20
- Published : 2019.04.28
The purpose of this study was to examine how flipped learning strategy affects learners' self-regulating ability in both general English and Spanish, based on the study hypothesis that self-regulating learning ability of general English learners will make a meaningful difference in comparison to that of traditional learning. The study was also focused on how flipped learning was related to learners' self-regulating ability. From September 10, 2018 to December 10, 2018, a total of 81 students in general English and Spanish were surveyed in which three sub areas of self-regulating learning (cognitive, motivational, and behavioral control) were considered, and which were divided into six sub-domains, a total of 65 items were composed. Although not very significant results were shown in the case of motivational control, both English and Spanish classes have statistically significant differences in cognitive and behavioral self-regulating learning abilities.
Self-regulating learning;Flipped learning;Traditional learning;Cognitive control;Behavioral control;Motivation control
- B. J. Zimmerman. (1986). Becoming a self-regulated learner: Which are the key subprocess. Contemporary, Educational Psychology, 11, 307-313. DOI: org/10.1080/00461520.1991.9653139 https://doi.org/10.1016/0361-476X(86)90027-5
- D. W. Brooks. (1997). Web-teaching. Plenum Press. New York & London.
- D. H. Schunk. (1995). Inherent details of self-regulated learning including student perceptions. Educational Psychologist, 26, 207-23.
- J. M. Magogwe & R. Oliver. (2007). The relationship between language learning strategies, proficiency, age and self-efficacy beliefs: A study of language learners in Botswana. System, 35, 338-352. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.system.2007.01.003
- M. H. Yang. (2002). The Study on Conceptualization of Self-Regulated Learning using LISREL. The Society of Educational Psychology, 6(2), 259-290.
- J. Kuhl. (1985). Volitional mediators of cognition-behavior consistency: Self- regulatory processes and action versus state orientation. In: J. Kuhl and J. Beckmann, Editors, Action control: From cognition to behavior Springer- Verlag, Berlin, 101-128.
- H. J. Kim. (2011). The Structural Relationship among Teacher-student Relationships, Learning Motivation and Learning Flow. Sookmyung Women's University Ph.D. thesis.
- J. Bergmann, & A. Sam. (2012). Flip Your Classroom: Research Every Student in Every Class Every Day. Washington DC: International Society for Technology in Education.
- N. Hamdan, K. Mcknight & K. M. Arfstrom. (2018). The flipped learning model: A white paper based on the literature review titled a review of flipped learning. Retrieved October 11, 2018 from http://researchnetwork.pearson.com/wp-content/uploads/WhitePaper_FlippedLearning.pdf.
- M. H. Shin. (2018). An Analysis of the Effects of On-Off line Convergence Learning Activities Based on Students' Learning Styles. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 9(2), 86.
- J. Strayer. (2012). How learning in an inverted classroom influences cooperation, innovation and task orientation. Learning Environments, 15(2), 2012.Society for education technology, 20(3), 103-135. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10984-012-9108-4
- M. K. Lee. (2014). Signification of Flipped classroom by sociology of classroom: Focusing on the experience of teachers, Korean Journal of Sociology of Education, 24(2), 181-207. https://doi.org/10.32465/ksocio.2014.24.2.007
- J. B. Choi & C. Kang. (2016). A Study on Elements and Procedure of Instruction Consulting for Successful Flipped Learning, Journal of Engineering Education Research, 19(2).
- B. K. Kim. (2014). Development of Flipped Classroom Model for Teaching Profession Courses, The Journal of Educational Research, 12(2), 25-56.
- S. H. Yang. (2003). Materiales de multimedia para la ensenanza de la destreza de expresion oral del espanol, The Journal of Latin America, Seoul National University, 14, 134-151.
- J. B. Choi. (2013). The Development and Effectiveness of Smart Learning-Based Intrapersonal Intelligence Enhancement Program using NLP Coaching Method, Chungbuk National University, Ph. D. Thesis.
- J. B. Choi & C. Kang. (2016). A Study on Elements and Procedure of Instruction Consulting for Successful Flipped Learning. Journal of Engineering Education Research, 19(2).