- Volume 10 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Association between cardiovascular disease and Periodontal Disease on Convergence Study in Adults over Age 40.
40세이상 성인의 심혈관질환과 치주질환 관련성에 관한 융합적 연구
Lee, Yeon-Kyoung;Kim, Min-A
- Received : 2019.01.28
- Accepted : 2019.04.20
- Published : 2019.04.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate the relationship between cardiovascular disease and periodontal disease. The subjects were 3,149 adults over 40 years of age using the third year National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (2015). Data were analyzed using the SPSS 22.0 program. As a result, the relationship between cardiovascular disease and periodontal disease was 1.27 times higher in obesity group compared to normal group, when adjusted for disturbance variables (age, smoking status, drinking status, income) In hypertensive patients, the hypertension group had a 1.32-fold higher risk of periodontal disease when the disturbance variables (age, smoking status, drinking status, income) were adjusted compared to those without hypertension. Therefore, cardiovascular disease is associated with periodontal disease, and it can be used as a good basis for educational and preventive measures to reduce or prevent the incidence of cardiovascular disease and periodontal disease in the future.
Adults;cardiovascular disease;Periodontal Disease;Oral;Convergence
- LN. Borrel & PN. Papapanou.(2005). Analytical epidemiology of periodontitis. J Clin Periodontol. 32(6), 132-158. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2005.00799.x
- KS. Kornman. & GW. Duff.(2001). Candidate genes as potential links between periodontal and cardiovascular diseases. Ann Periodontol. 6, 48-57. DOI: 10.1902/annals.2001.6.1.48 https://doi.org/10.1902/annals.2001.6.1.48
- G. Pizzo et al.(2011). Dentistry and internal medicine: from the focal infection theory to the periodontal medicine concept, Journal of Internal Medicine 11(6), 209-220. DIO:10.1016/j.ejim.2011.02.010 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejim.2011.02.010
- R. C. Page.(2013). Diabetes and periodontal diseases: consensus report of the Joint EFP/AAP Workshop on Periodontitis and Systemic Diseases. J. Clin Periodontol 40(14), S106-S112. DIO: 10.1111/jcpe.12077 https://doi.org/10.1111/jcpe.12077
- X. Li. et al (2000). Systemic diseases caused by oral infection. Clin Microbiol Rev,(13), 547-558. DIO: 10.1128/CMR.13.4.547-558.2000 https://doi.org/10.1128/CMR.13.4.547-558.2000
- D. F. .Kinane.(1998). Periodontal diseases contributions to cardiovascular disease: an overview of potential mechanisms. Ann Periodontol,(3), 142-150. DOI: 10.1902/annals.19184.108.40.206 https://doi.org/10.1902/annals.19220.127.116.11
- J. Beck, S. Offenbacher. (1998). Oral health and systemic disease: periodontitis and cardiovascular disease. J. Dent Education, (62), 859-870.
- J .Beck et al. (1998). Periodontitis: a risk factor for coronary heart disease. Ann Periodontol,(3), 127-141. https://doi.org/10.1902/annals.1918.104.22.168
- W. Loescheman.(2000). The assessing the relationship between dental disease and coronary heart disease in elderly US veterans. J. Am Dent Assoc, (129), 301-311.
- De Stefano et al. (1998). Dental disease and risk of coronary heart disease and mortality. Br Med J. (306),688-691.
- S. Malthaner et al. (2002). Investigation of the association between angiographically defined coronary artery disease and periodontal disease. J. Periodontol, (73), 1169-1176 https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2002.73.10.1169
- P. Hujoel, et al. (2001). Examining the link between coronary heart disease and the elimination of chronic dental infections. J Am Dent Assoc, (132), 883-889. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2001.0300
- P. Hujoel. et, al. (2002). Pre - existing cardiovascular disease and periodontitis: a follow-up study. J Dent Res, (81), 186-191. https://doi.org/10.1177/0810186
- K. J. Mattila. et, al. (1999). Association between dental health and acute myocardial infarction. Br Med J, (298), 779-781.
- G. Emingil. et, al. (2000). Association between periodontal disease and acute myocardial infarction. J Periodontol, (71), 1882-1886. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2000.71.12.1882
- K. Mattila. et, al. (2011). Dental infection and the risk of new coronary events: prospective study of patients with documented coronary artery disease. Clin Infec Dis, (20), :588-592.
- K. Joshipura. et, al. (1996). Poor oral health and coronary heart disease. J Dent Res, (9), 1631-1636.
- https://knhanes.cdc.go.kr (2015)
- W. S, Orgnakke. et, al. (2013).Effect of periodontal disease ondiabetes: systematic review ofepidemiologic observationalevidence. J Periodonto,l 84(4), 135-152. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2013.132001
- P. P. Katz. et, al. (2001). Epidemiology and prevention of periodontal disease in individuals with disbetes. Diabetes care, 14(5), 375-385 https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.14.5.375
- Y. H. Choi. (2001), Associations of missing teeth with medical status. J of Korean Academy of Oral Health, 26(2), 169-179
- M. D. Ryan et al. (2010). Periodontal bacteria and hypertension: the oral infections and vascular disease epidemiology study (INVEST). J Hypertens, (28)1413-1421. DIO: 10.1097/HJH.0b013e328338cd36 https://doi.org/10.1097/HJH.0b013e328338cd36
- K. J. Joshipura. et, al.(1996). Poor oral health and coronary heart disease. J Dent Res, 75(6), 1631-1636. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345960750090301
- T. Saito. (2001). Relationship between upper body obesity and periodontitis. Journal of Dental Research, 80(7), 1631-1636. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345010800070701
- Y. O. Nam & I. A. Kim. (2018). Association between two major oral diseases and cardiovascular diseases. Journal of Korean Society of Dental Hygiene, 18(5), 653-664. DIO: 10.13065/jksdh.20180056 https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.20180056
- P. Bullon. et, al. (2009). Metabolic syndrome and periodontitis: is oxidative stress a common link. Journal of Dental Research, 8(6), 503-518. DIO: 10.1177/0022034509337479 https://doi.org/10.1177/0022034509337479
- T. Saito, Y. Shimazaki, M. Sakamoto. (1998). Obesity and periodontitis. New England Journal of medicine, 339(7), 482-483. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199808133390717
- T. Saito. et, al. (2001). Relationship between upper body obesity and periodontitis. Journal of Dental Research, 80(7), 1631-1636. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345010800070701
- Y. H. Kim. (2016). The association between periodontitis and systemic disease among Korean adults. Journal of Korean Academy of Oral Health 40(4):244-249 https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2016.40.4.244
Supported by : Songho University