- Volume 35 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effect on Colony Growth Inhibition of Soil-Borne Fungal Pathogens by Available Chlorine Content in Sodium Hypochlorite
Lee, Sung-Hee;Shin, Hyunman;Kim, Ju-Hyoung;Ryu, Kyoung-Yul;Kim, Heung Tae;Cha, Byeongjin;Cha, Jae-Soon
- Received : 2018.07.04
- Accepted : 2018.12.09
- Published : 2019.04.01
Our study investigated the available chlorine content, contact time and difference among strains of each pathogen for sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) to control chemically against soil-borne fungal pathogens, such as Phytophthora rot by Phytophthora cactorum, violet root rot by Helicobasidium mompa, and white root rot by Rosellinia necatrix, causing die-back symptom on apple trees. As a result, the colony growth of Phytophthora cactorum was inhibited completely by soaking over 5 s in 31.25 ml/l available chlorine content of NaOCl. Those of H. mompa and R. necatrix were inhibited entirely by soaking over 160 s in 62.5 and 125 ml/l available chlorine content in NaOCl, respectively. Also, inhibition effect on available chlorine in NaOCl among strains of each soil-borne pathogen showed no significant difference and was similar to or better than that of fungicides.
apple tree die-back;disease control;sodium hypochlorite;soil-borne diseases
- Bisessar, S. and Mcllveen, W. D. 1992. Effects of swimming pool sanitizing chemicals on turf grass. Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 49:295-299.
- Cayanan, D. F., Zhang, P., Liu, W., Dixon, M. and Zheng, Y. 2009. Efficacy of chlorine in controlling five common plant pathogens. HortScience 44:157-163. https://doi.org/10.21273/HORTSCI.44.1.157
- Chun, S. C., Schneider, R. W. and Cohn, M. A. 1997. Sodium hypochlorite: Effect of solution pH on rice seed disinfestation and its direct effect on seedling growth. Plant Dis. 81:821-824. https://doi.org/10.1094/PDIS.19184.108.40.2061
- Copes, W. E., Chastagner, G. A. and Hummel, R. L. 2001. Influence of select inorganic elements and pH on the fungicidal activity of chlorine dioxide in water. SNA Res. Conf. Proc. 46:284-286.
- Datnoff, L. E., Kroll, T. K. and Lacy, G. H. 1987. Efficacy of chlorine for decontaminating water infested with resting spores of Plasmodiophora brassicae. Plant Dis. 71:734-736. https://doi.org/10.1094/PD-71-0734
- Eguchi, N., Kawai, Y. and Yamagishi, N. 2008. Long-term evaluation of fluazinam soil drench against white root rot on Japanese pear. Annu. Rep. Kanto Tosan Plant Prot. Soc. 55:159-163.
- Fernandez-Ortuno, D. and Schnabel, G. 2012. First report of thiophanate-methyl resistance in Botrytis cinerea on strawberry from South Carolina. Plant Dis. 96:1700.2
- FRAC. 2017. FRAC Code List 2017: Fungicides sorted by mode of action (including FRAC Code numbering). URL https://cpb-us-w2.wpmucdn.com/u.osu.edu/dist/b/28945/files/2017/04/frac-code-list-2017-final-1juq211.pdf [26 February 2019].
- Hong, C. X., Richardson, P. A., Kong, P. and Bush, E. A. 2003. Efficacy of chlorine on multiple species of Phytophthora in recycled nursery irrigation water. Plant Dis. 87:1183-1189. https://doi.org/10.1094/PDIS.2003.87.10.1183
- Ishii, H. and Hollomon, D. W. 2015. Fungicide resistance in plant pathogens. Springer Japan, Ibaraki, Japan. 490 pp.
- Jeffers, S. N. 1992. Preplant root treatments to reduce the incidence of Phytophthora species on dormant apple rootstocks. Plant Dis. 76:12-19. https://doi.org/10.1094/PD-76-0012
- Johnson, C. H., Rice, E. W. and Reasoner, D. J. 1997. Inactivation of Helicobacter pylori by chlorination. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 63:4969-4970.
- Kim, S.-I., Lee, S.-B. and Choi, Y.-M. 1995. Isolation and identification of antagonistic microorganisms for biological control of apple root rot disease. RDA J. Agric. Sci. 37:29-42 (in Korean).
- Komori, S. and Nakamura, M. 1985. Effects of several kind of fungicides on apple white root rot. Proc. Kanto-Tosan Plant Prot. Soc. 32:135-136.
- KSPP. 2009. List of plant diseases in Korea. 5th ed. The Korean Society of Plant Pathology, Suwon, Korea (in Korean).
- Lee, D. H. 2002. Etiology and ecology of apple white root rot, caused by Rosellinia necatrix and its biological control. Ph.D. thesis. Kyungpook National University, Daegu, Korea.
- Lee, D. H., Lee, S. W., Choi, K. H., Kim, D. A and Uhm, J. Y. 2006. Survey on the occurrence of apple diseases in Korea from 1992 to 2000. Plant Pathol. J. 22:375-380. https://doi.org/10.5423/PPJ.2006.22.4.375
- Lee, S. B. 1995. Etiology and epidemiology of white- and violetroot rot caused by Rosellinia necatrix and Helicobasidium mompa on apple tree and their control in Korea. Ph.D. thesis. Chungbuk National University, Cheongju, Korea (in Korean).
- Lee, S. B., Chung, B. K., Jang, H. I., Kim, K. H. and Choi, Y. M. 1995. Incidence of soil-borne diseases in apple orchards in Korea. Korean J. Plant Pathol. 11:132-138 (in Korean).
- Lee, S.-H., Kwon, Y., Shin, H., Kim, I.-J., Nam, S.-Y., Hong, E. Y., Kwon, S.-I., Kim, D. and Cha, J.-S. 2016. Dieback of apple tree by major soil borne diseases in Chungbuk province from 2013 to 2015. Res. Plant Dis. 22:198-201 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5423/RPD.2016.22.3.198
- Lopez-Herrera, C. J. and Zea-Bonilla, T. 2007. Effects of benomyl, carbendazim, fluazinam and thiophanate methyl on white root rot of avocado. Crop Prot. 26:1186-1192. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cropro.2006.10.015
- RDA. 1993. Compendium of fruit tree diseases with color plates. Rural Development Administration, Suwon, Korea. 286 pp.
- Santos-Rufo, A. and Rodriguez-Jurado, D. 2016. Evaluation of chemical disinfestants in reducing Verticillium dahlia conidia in irrigation water. Crop Prot. 79:105-116. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cropro.2015.10.016
- Sauer, D. B. and Burroughs, R. 1986. Disinfection of seed surfaces with sodium hypochlorite. Phytopathology 76:745-749. https://doi.org/10.1094/Phyto-76-745
- Segall, R. H. 1968. Fungicidal effectiveness of chlorine as influenced by concentration, temperature, pH, and spore exposure time. Phytopathology 58:1412-1414.
- Shao, W., Zhang, Y., Ren, W. and Chen, C. 2015. Physiological and biochemical characteristics of laboratory induced mutants of Botrytis cinerea with resistance to fluazinam. Pestic. Biochem. Physiol. 117:19-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pestbp.2014.10.003
- Shikata, H. and Mitsueda, T. 1978. A method for isolating the white root rot pathogen, Rosellinia necatrix Berl. in soil. J. Seric. Sci. Japan 47:519-526.
- Shin, D. B., Goh, J., Lee, B.-C., Kang, I. J. and Kang, H.-W. 2014. Use of sodium hypochlorite for the control of bakanae disease in rice. Res. Plant Dis. 20:259-263 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5423/RPD.2014.20.4.259
- Singleton, L. L., Mihail, J. D. and Rush, C. M. 1992. Methods for research on soilborne phytopathogenic fungi. 2nd ed. APS Press, St. Paul, MN, USA. 265 pp.
- Tadao, U. I. 1984. Handbook of soil-borne diseases. Japan Plant Protection Association. Tokyo, Japan. 349 pp.
- Takaya, S., Fukuda, T., Kasai, K., Ôike, Y., Yoshida, T., Chikaoka, I. and Kato, S. 1976. Effects of thiophanate-methyl and benomyl against white root rot of tea. Tea Res. J. 44:22-26 (in Japanese).
- Taylor, R. H., Falkinham, J. O. 3rd, Norton, C. D. and LeChevallier, M. W. 2000. Chlorine, chloramine, chlorine dioxide, and ozone susceptibility of Mycobacterium avium. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 66:1702-1705. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.66.4.1702-1705.2000
- Thompson, D. L. 1965. Control of bacterial stalk rot of corn by chlorination of water in sprinkler irrigation. Crop Sci. 5:369-370. https://doi.org/10.2135/cropsci1965.0011183X000500040027x
- Van Bruggen, A. H. C. and Arneson, P. A. 1984. Resistance in Rhizoctonia solani to tolclofos methyl. Neth. J. Plant Pathol. 90:95-106. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01994514
- WHO. 2011. Guidelines for drinking-water quality. 4th ed. World Health Organization, WHO Press, Geneva, Switzerland. 110 pp.
- Yukita, K. 2003. Preventive effects of fluazinam on white and violet root rots of apple trees by dipping method. Annu. Rep. Plant Prot. North Japan 2003:81-84.
Grant : Cooperative Research Program for Agriculture Science and Technology Development
Supported by : Rural Development Administration