- Volume 20 Issue 4
An Overview of Blockchain Technology: Concepts, Consensus, Standardization, and Security Threats
블록체인 기술 동향에 관한 연구
- Park, Roy C. (Department of Information Communication Engineering, Sangji University) ;
- Lee, Young Sil (Division of Computer Engineering, Dongseo University)
- Received : 2019.12.09
- Accepted : 2019.12.30
- Published : 2019.12.31
Since the publication of Satoshi Nakamoto's white paper on Bitcoin in 2008, blockchain is in the spotlight as one of the core technologies of the Fouth Industrial Revolution, which can be used in various industries beyond simple cryptocurrency. various researches and developments are being conducted worldwide to utilize blockchain technology, and a global blockchain consortium is formed. In addition, attempts are being made to apply to various industries such as logistics, distribution, and medical care as well as the financial sector. However, blockchain tecnology developments still do not reach the level that meets these concerns and expectations. In this paper, we presents a comprehensive overview of blockchain technology by giving its brief concepts, consensus algorithms, standardization, and security threats.
Grant : Dongseo Cluster Project
Supported by : Dongseo University
- World Economic Forum, The future of financial infrastructure, 2016.8.12.
- Young-young Lee(2017), Blockchain Technology Trends and Implications. Trends and Issues(34), 1-21.
- Cointelegraph (2017.4.16.). US Government Invests in Blockchain to Protect Healthcare Companies from hackers.
- Reuters (2016.6.16.), Sweden tests blockchain technology for land registry.
- Govlnsider (2016.6.7.), singapore Government builds blockchain system to protect banks.
- Ministry of Public Administration and Press release (January 2, 2017). E-Government Gets Smarter with High Tech Convergence. Avaliable: http://www.korea.kr/news/pressReleaseView.do?newsId=156178437
- Young-young Lee, Cheong-won Woo, (2018). Prospects, Limitations, and Implications of Blockchain Technology. Future Horizon(38), 12-15.
- Heeyoul Kim. (2018). Analysis of Security Threats and Countermeasures on Blockchain Platforms, Journal of KIIT. vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 103-112.
- Shamistha Dash, Anirban Majumdar, Presanna Gunikkar, "Blockchain: A Healthcare Industry View," Gapgemini. 2017(7).
- Thomson Reuters (2016.1.16.). Blockchain technology: Is 2016 the year of the blockchain?. Avaliable: https://blogs.thomsonreuters.com/answerson/blockchain-technology/
- Leslie Lamport, Robert Shostak, Marshall Pease. (1982). "The Byzantine Generals Problem," Journal of ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems (TOPLAS), vol. 4. issue 3, pp. 382-401. https://doi.org/10.1145/357172.357176
- Wikipedia, Proof of Work, Avaliable: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_of_work
- V. Buterin and V. Griffith. (2017). "Casper the Friendly Gadget", Avaliable: https://ethresear.ch/uploads/default/original/1X/fdbebd67c8a9671efabf4e53d6267789cd91d96c.pdf.
- M. Castro and B. Liskov. (2002). "Practical Byzantine Fault Tolerance and Proactive Recovery", ACM Transactions on Computer Systems, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 398-461. https://doi.org/10.1145/571637.571640
- J. Kwon. (2014). "Tendermint: Consensus without Mining", Avaliable: https://tendermint.com/static/docs/tendermint.pdf.
- ISO/TC 307. Avaliable: https://www.iso.org/committee/6266604/x/catalogue/p/0/u/1/w/0/d/0
- ITU-T. Avaliable: https://www.itu.int/en/Pages/default.aspx
- W3C Blockchain Community Group. Avaliable: https://www.w3.org/community/blockchain/
- W3C Web Payments Working Group, Avaliable: https://www.w3.org/Payments/WG/
- W3C Interledger Payments Community Group, Avaliable: https://www.w3.org/community/interledger/
- IEEE Blockchain. Avaliable: https://blockchain.ieee.org/standards
- Jamal Hayat Mosakheil. (2018). "Security Threats Classification in Blockchains," Culminating Projects in Information Assurance. 48. Avaliable: https://repository.stcloudstate.edu/msia_etds/48
- Xiaoqi Li, Peng Liang, Ting Chen, Xiapu Luo, Qiaoyan Wen. (2017). "A survey on the security of blockchain system," Future Generation Computer system. Avaliable: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.future.2017.08.020.
- Xiaochun Yun, Weiping Wen, Bo Lang, Hanbing Yan, Li Ding, Jia Li, Yu Zhou. (2018). Cyber Security, Communications in Computer and Information Science. Avaliable: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-6621-5
- Atzei, N., Bartoletti, M., & Cimoli, T. (2016). A survey of attacks on Ethereum smart contracts (No. 1007). Retrieved from http://eprint.iacr.org/2016/1007.
- Tapscott D, Tapscott A. (2016), "The Impact of the Blockchain Goes Beyond Financial Services," Harvard Business Review.