- Volume 20 Issue 4
Sleep Management Pillow System
수면 관리 베개 시스템
- Ahn, Dohyun (Department of Biomedical Engineering, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Tran, Minh (Department of Electronic Engineering, Keimyung University) ;
- Park, Jaehee (Department of Electronic Engineering, Keimyung University)
- Received : 2019.12.09
- Accepted : 2019.12.30
- Published : 2019.12.31
In this paper, a sleep management pillow system for snoring detection and respiration measurement is investigated. The sleep management pillow system consists of four force sensing resistor(FSR) sensors, two microphones(MIC), a pillow, a measurement system. Four FSR sensors attached at the bottom part of the pillow are used for respiration measurement and snoring detection. Two microphones located at the middle left and right of the pillow are utilized for only snoring detection. The respiration and the snoring of ten young people were measured using the sleep management pillow system composed of a data acquisition board, interface circuit, and personal computer. The measurement accuracy of the respiration was about 98% and the measurement accuracy of the snoring was about 97%. The experiment results show that the sleep management pillow system can be used for snoring detection and respiration rate measurement during sleeping.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF)
- N. Zuberi, k. Rekab, and H. Nguyen, (2004, Dec). Sleep Apnea Avoidance Pillow Effects on Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome and Snoring. Sleep and Breathing, vol.8, no.4, pp.201-208. Available: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15611895 https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2004-860897
- S. Elliott, M. Kim, J. Beaulieu, and G. Stefano,. (2003, May). Sound therapy induced relaxation: down regulating stress processes and pathologies. Medical Science Monitor. vol.9, pp.116-121. Available: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19129030
- M. David, J. Patrie, R. Felder, and M. Alwan. (2009, JAN). Development and preliminary validation of heart rate and breathing rate detection using a passive, ballistocardiography-based sleep monitoring system. IEEE Tran. Inf. Technol. Biomed. vol.13, pp.111-120. Available: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19129030 https://doi.org/10.1109/TITB.2008.2007194
- J. Kelly, R. Strecker, and M. Bianchi,.(2012, Jul). Recent developments in home sleep-monitoring devices. ISRN Neurol., vol. 2012, pp.1-10. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.5402/2012/768794
- S. Gyualy, D. Gould, B. Sawyer, D. Pond, A. Mant.and N. Saunders. (1987, Apr). Evaluation of a microprocessor-based portable home monitoring system to measure breathing during sleep, Sleep, vol. 10, pp. 130-142.Available:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/35 89326 https://doi.org/10.1093/sleep/10.2.130
- H. Ju, Y. Park, J. Park, B. Lee, J. lee, and J. Lee, (2015). Real-Time Driver's Biological Signal Monitoring System. Sensors Mater. vol. 27, pp.51-59.
- X. Zhu, W. Chen, T. Nemoto, Y. Kanemitsu, K. Kitamura, K. Yamakoshi, and D. Wei. (2006, Dec). Real-time monitoring of respiration rhythm and pulse rate during sleep. IEEE Tran. Biomed. Eng., vol. 53, pp.2553-2563.Available:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17153213 https://doi.org/10.1109/TBME.2006.884641
- S. Eom, J. Park, and J. Lee. (2010, Mar). Optical fiber arterial pulse wave sensor. Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett. vol.52, pp.1318-1321. Available: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/mop.25200
- M. Uenoyama, T. Matsui, K. Yamada, S. Suzuki, and A. Seo. (2006, Sep). Non-Contact Respiratory Monitoring System using a Ceiling-Attached Microwave Antenna. Med. Bio. Eng. Comput.. vol.44, pp.835-840. Available:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16941101 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11517-006-0091-8
- F. Bezombes, M. Lalor, and D. Burton. "Contact microphone using optical fibre bragg gratting technology" J. Phys. Conf. Ser. 2007, pp.1-6.
- D. Ahn, T. Minh, J. Lee, and J. Park, (2017 Jul). Respiration measurement sleeping pillow system. Journal of Sensor Science and Technology. vol. 26, pp.280-285. Available:http://www.koreascience.or.kr/article/JAKO201724655835219.page
- T. Minh, D. Ahn, and J. Park, (2019). Snoring detection sleep pillow. Journal of Convergence Signal Processing. vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 105-110.