- Volume 20 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Influence of External Environmental Factors on Technology Transfer between Foreign MNCs and Local Subsidiaries: Based on SCP Paradigm
해외자회사 환경요인이 국제기술이전 및 혁신성과에 미치는 영향 : S-C-P 패러다임 관점에서
- 정재휘 (대구대학교 경상대학 무역학과)
- Received : 2019.02.26
- Accepted : 2019.03.18
- Published : 2019.03.31
Technology transfer from a multinational company to a local subsidiary is essential for successful local market operations. This study aims to analyze the impact of market, cultural and institutional environmental factors on international technology transfer and innovation performance based on the S-C-P paradigm. We collected data from one hundred ninety-five subsidiaries of Korean parent firms located in seventeen countries and used structural equation modeling to test hypotheses. The analysis findings are as follow; First, both market and cultural environment directly affect international technology transfer. However, institutional environment such as protection of intellectual property does not affect international technology transfer. Due to the less risk of technology disclosure involved in technology transfer within the MNE organization can be not relationship between protection of intellectual property in the host country and the foreign subsidiary's transfer of technology. The risk of infringement of intellectual property is relatively low in intra-firm transfer of technology. Second, the technology introduced from the parent company has a positive effect on the innovation performance of local subsidiaries. This implies that multinational companies that have entered unfamiliar overseas markets should be able to effectively transfer the inherent advantages of the parent company to their overseas subsidiaries, and that their ability to adapt to the local environment is important.
Supported by : 대구대학교
- 이지원, 강인원, 박경신 2013, "다국적기업 네트워크내 관계활동이 지식이전 및 자회사 성과에 미치는 영향," 지식경영연구 (14:3), pp. 1-13.
- 신건철, 이지원, 강인원 2011. "다국적기업 R&D센터의 지식이전과 혁신성과에 관한 연구," 지식경영연구 (12:1), pp. 111-121.
- Agarwal, S., and Ramaswami, S. N. 1992. "Choice of foreign market entry mode: Impact of ownership, location and internalization factors," Journal of International business studies (23:1), pp. 1-27. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8490257
- Bagozzi, R., and Yi, Y. 1998. "On the evaluation of structural equation models," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science (16:1), pp. 74-94. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02723327
- Bartlett, C., and Ghoshal, S. 1986. "Tap your subsidiaries for global reach," Harvard business review (64:6), pp. 87-94.
- Bjorkman, I., Barner-Rasmussen, W., and Li, L. 2004. "Managing knowledge transfer in MNCs: the impact of headquarters control mechanisms," Journal of International Business Studies (35:5), pp. 443-455. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400094
- Bresman, H., Birkinshaw, J., and Nobel, R. 1999. "Knowledge transfer in international acquisitions," Journal of international business studies (30:3), pp. 439-462. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8490078
- Chang, S. J., van Witteloostujin, A., and Eden, L. 2010. "From the Editors: Common method variance in international business research," Journal of International Business Studies (41:2), pp. 178-184. https://doi.org/10.1057/jibs.2009.88
- Cote, J. A., and Buckley, M. R. 1987. "Estimating trait, method, and error variance: Generalizing across 70 construct validation studies," Journal of Marketing Research (24:3), pp. 315-318. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224378702400308
- Cui, A. S., Griffith, D. A., Cavusgil, S. T., and Dabic, M. 2006. "The influence of market and cultural environmental factors on technology transfer between foreign MNCs and local subsidiaries: a Croatian illustration," Journal of World Business (41:2), pp. 100-111. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jwb.2006.01.011
- Dhanaraj, C., Lyles, M. A., Steensma, H. K., and Tihanyi, L. 2004. "Managing tacit and explicit knowledge transfer in IJVs: the role of relational embeddedness and the impact on performance," Journal of International Business Studies (35:5), pp. 428-442. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400098
- Frost, T. S., Birkinshaw, J. M., and Ensign, P. C. 2002. "Centers of excellence in multinational corporations," Strategic Management Journal (23:11), pp. 997-1018. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.273
- Flatten, T. C., Engelen, A., Zahra, S. A., and Brettel, M. 2011. "A measure of absorptive capacity: Scale development and validation," European Management Journal (29:2), pp. 98-116. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.emj.2010.11.002
- Govindarajan, V. 1988. "A contingency approach to strategy implementation at the business-unit level: integrating administrative mechanisms with strategy," Academy of Management Journal (31:4), pp. 828-853. https://doi.org/10.2307/256341
- Grosse, R. 1996. "International technology transfer in services," Journal of International Business Studies (27:4), pp. 781-800. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8490153
- Gupta, A. K., and Govindarajan, V. 2000. "Knowledge flows within multinational corporations," Strategic Management Journal (21:4), pp. 473-496. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(200004)21:4<473::AID-SMJ84>3.0.CO;2-I
- Hair, J. F., Anderson, R. E., Tahtam, R. L., and Black, W. C. 1998. Multivariate Data Analysis (5th ed.), Prentice-Hall, pp. 654-667.
- Hamel, G. 1991. "Competition for competence and inter partner learning within international strategic alliances," Strategic Management Journal (12:S1), pp. 83-103.
- Inkpen, A. C., and Dinur, A. 1998. "Knowledge management processes and international joint ventures," Organization Science (9:4), pp. 454-468. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.9.4.454
- Kale, P., Singh, H., and Perlmutter, H. 2000. "Learning and protection of proprietary assets in strategic alliances: building relational capital," Strategic Management Journal (21:1), pp. 83-103.
- Katsikeas, C. S., Skarmeas, D., and Bello, D. C. 2009. "Developing successful trust-based international exchange relationship," Journal of International Business Studies (40:2), pp. 132-208. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400401
- Kogut, B., and Zander, U. 1995. "Knowledge, market failure and the multinational enterprise: A reply," Journal of International Business Studies (26:2), pp. 417-426. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8490182
- Kotabe, M., Martin, X., and Domoto, H. 2003. "Gaining from vertical partnerships: knowledge transfer, relationship duration, and supplier performance improvement in the US and Japanese automotive industries," Strategic Management Journal (24:4), pp. 293-316. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.297
- Kotabe, M., Dunlap-Hinkler, D., Parente, R., and Mishra, H. A. 2007. "Determinants of cross-national knowledge transfer and its effect on firm innovation," Journal of International Business Studies (38:2), pp. 259-282. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400261
- Lane, P. J., Salk, J. E., and Lyles, M. A. 2001. "Absorptive capacity, learning, and performance in international joint ventures," Strategic Management Journal (22:12), pp. 1139-1161. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.206
- Lane, P. J., Koka, B. R., and Pathak, S. 2006. "The reification of absorptive capacity: a critical review and rejuvenation of the construct," Academy of Management Review (31:4), pp. 833-863. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2006.22527456
- Lin, B. W. 2003. " Technology transfer as technological learning: a source of competitive advantage for firms with limited R&D resources," R&D Management (33:3), pp. 327-341. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9310.00301
- Lin, W. B. 2007. "Factors affecting the correlation between interactive mechanism of strategic alliance and technological knowledge transfer performance," The Journal of High Technology Management Research (17:2), pp. 139-155. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hitech.2006.11.003
- Lyles, M. A., and Salk, J. E. 1996. "Knowledge acquisition from foreign parents in international joint ventures: An empirical examination in the Hungarian context," Journal of International Business Studies (27:5), pp. 877-903. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8490155
- Martin, X., and Salomon, R. 2003. "Knowledge transfer capacity and its implications for the theory of the multinational corporation," Journal of International Business Studies (34:4), pp. 356-373. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400037
- McCalman, P. 2004. "Foreign direct investment and intellectual property rights: evidence from Hollywood's global distribution of movies and videos," Journal of International Economics (62:1), pp. 107-123. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jinteco.2003.06.002
- Noorderhaven, N., and Harzing, A. W. 2009. "Knowledge-sharing and social interaction within MNEs," Journal of International Business Studies (40:5), pp. 719-741. https://doi.org/10.1057/jibs.2008.106
- Parent, R., Roy, M., and St-Jacques, D. 2007. "A systems-based dynamic knowledge transfer capacity model," Journal of Knowledge Management (11:6), pp. 81-93. https://doi.org/10.1108/13673270710832181
- Perez-Nordtvedt, L., Kedia, B. L., Datta, D. K., and Rasheed, A. A. 2008. "Effectiveness and efficiency of Cross-Border knowledge transfer: An empirical examination," Journal of Management Studies (45:4), pp. 714-744. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.2008.00767.x
- Podsakoff, P. M., MacKenzie, S. B., Lee, J. Y., and Podsakoff, N. P. 2003. "Common method biases in behavioral research: a critical review of the literature and recommended remedies," Journal of applied psychology (88:5), pp. 879. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.88.5.879
- Romijn, H., and A lbaladejo, M. 2002. "Determinants of innovation capability in small electronics and software firms in southeast England," Research Policy (31:7), pp. 1053-1067. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-7333(01)00176-7
- Sarkar, M. B., Echambadi, R., Cavusgil, S. T., and Aulakh, P. S. 2001. "The influence of complementarity, compatibility, and relationship capital on alliance performance," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science (29:4), pp. 358-373. https://doi.org/10.1177/03079450094216
- Simonin, B. L. 1999a. "Ambiguity and the process of knowledge transfer in strategic alliances," Strategic Management Journal (20:7), pp. 595-623. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199907)20:7<595::AID-SMJ47>3.0.CO;2-5
- Simonin, B. L. 1999b. "Transfer of marketing know-how in international strategic alliances: an empirical investigation of the role and antecedents of knowledge ambiguity," Journal of International Business Studies (30:3), pp. 463-490. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8490079
- Simonin, B. L. 2004. "A nempirical investigation of the process of knowledge transfer in international strategic alliances," Journal of International Business Studies (35:5), pp. 407-427. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400091
- Szulanski, G. 1996. "Exploring internal stickiness: Impediments to the transfer of best practice within the firm," Strategic Management Journal (17:1), pp. 27-43. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250171105
- Thuc Anh, P. T., Christopher Baughn, C., Minh Hang, N. T., and Neupert, K. E. 2006. "Knowledge acquisition from foreign parents in international joint ventures: An empirical study in Vietnam," International Business Review (15:5), pp. 463-487. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ibusrev.2006.05.004
- Tsai, W. 2001. "Knowledge transfer in intra organizational networks: effects of network position and absorptive capacity on business unit innovation and performance," Academy of Management Journal (44:5), pp. 996-1004. https://doi.org/10.2307/3069443
- Tsang, E. W. 2002. "Acquiring knowledge by foreign partners from international joint ventures in a transition economy: learning-by-doing and learning myopia," Strategic Management Journal (23:9), pp. 835-854. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.251
- Wang, P., Tong, T. W., and Koh, C. P. 2004. "An integrated model of knowledge transfer from MNC parent to China subsidiary," Journal of World Business (39:2), pp. 168-182. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jwb.2003.08.009
- Zander, U., and Kogut, B. 1995. "Knowledge and the speed of the transfer and imitation of organizational capabilities: An empirical test," Organization Science (6:1), pp. 76-92. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.6.1.76
- Zahra, S. A., Ireland, R. D., and Hitt, M. A. 2000. "International expansion by new venture firms: International diversity, mode of market entry, technological learning, and performance," Academy of Management Journal (43:5), pp. 925-950. https://doi.org/10.2307/1556420
- Zahra, S. A., and George, G. 2002. "Absorptive capacity: A review, reconceptualization, and extension," Academy of Management Review (27:2), pp. 185-203. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2002.6587995