- Volume 20 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Firms' Foreign Market Focus on the Bias of Analysts' Earnings Forecasts: Focusing on CEO Characteristics
기업의 해외시장 집중화가 애널리스트 성과예측정보에 미치는 영향: 최고경영자 특성의 조절효과
- Received : 2019.02.07
- Accepted : 2019.03.03
- Published : 2019.03.31
This paper investigates the effects of firms' foreign market focus on the optimistic bias of analysts' earnings forecasts. Based on a sample of 852 U.S. manufacturing firms between 1994 and 2015, our empirical results suggest that higher growth of foreign market focus is associated with greater levels of analysts' forecast optimism. Drawing on the CEO career horizon and the upper echelon theory literature, we find evidence that CEOs' career horizon and functional background as a CFO moderates the relationship between the growth rate of foreign market focus and analysts' forecast optimism. This shows that while financial analysts perceive internationalization strategies as signaling growth potential, such perception can vary depending on CEOs' individual characteristics.
Supported by : 고려대학교
- 강현모 2017. "투자자의 손실회피 성향과 해석수준이 금융상품 태도에 미치는 영향," 지식경영연구 (18:1), pp. 49-65. https://doi.org/10.15813/kmr.2017.18.1.003
- 박종훈, 이호욱 2004. "최고경영진의 다양성과 기업의 국제화 수준 간의 관계: 국제적 제휴의 매개효과," 국제경영연구 (15:2), pp. 1-29.
- 박종훈, 성연달, 이동현 2014. "최고경영자(CEO)의 경험과 기업의 국제화: CEO 영향력의 조절효과," 국제경영리뷰 (25:1), pp. 29-58.
- 송민섭, 변상혁 2013. "2008년 금융위기와 애널리스트의 예측 성향의 변화," 경영학연구 (42:5), pp. 1187-1218.
- 이종래, 서희열 2017. "기업의 해외매출이 이익조정에 미치는 영향," 세무회계연구 (54:0), pp. 49-71.
- 전성일, 이기세 2012. "코스닥 신규상장 기업의 특성에 따른 재무분석가의 이익예측력에 관한 연구," 지식경영연구 (13:5), pp. 1-13.
- 한병섭 2009. "Born-global 기업의 해외투자 실행속도 결정요인에 관한 실증연구," 국제경영리뷰 (13:1), pp. 23-43.
- Ahmed, A. S., Song, M., and Stevens, D. E. 2009. "Earnings Characteristics and Analysts' Differential Interpretation of Earnings Announcements: An Empirical Analysis," Accounting & Finance (49:2), pp.223-246. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-629X.2008.00292.x
- Antia, M., Pantzalis, C., and Park, J. C. 2010. "CEO Decision Horizon and Firm Performance: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Corporate Finance (16:3), pp.288-301. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcorpfin.2010.01.005
- Atiase, R. 1985. "Predisclosure Information, Firm Capitalization, and Security Price Behavior Around Earnings Announcements," Journal of Accounting Research (23:1), pp.21-36. https://doi.org/10.2307/2490905
- Barron, O. E., Byard, D., Kile, C., and Riedl, E. J. 2002. "High-Technology Intangibles and Analysts' Forecasts," Journal of Accounting Research (40:2), pp.289-312. https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-679X.00048
- Bartov, E., Givoly, D., and Hayn, C. 2002. "The rewards to meeting or beating earnings expectations," Journal of Accounting and Economics (33:2), pp.173-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-4101(02)00045-9
- Bodnar, G. M., and Weintrop, J. 1997. "The Valuation of the Foreign Income of US Multinational Firms: A Growth Opportunities Perspective," Journal of Accounting and Economics (24:1), pp.69-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-4101(97)00016-5
- Brickley, J. A., Linck, J. S., and Coles, J. L. 1999. "What Happens to CEOs After They Retire? New Evidence on Career Concerns, Horizon Problems, and CEO Incentives," Journal of Financial Economics (52:3), pp.341-377. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-405X(99)00012-4
- Callen, J., Hope, O. K., and Segal, D. 2005. "Domestic and Foreign Earnings, Stock Return Variability, and the Impact of Investor Sophistication," Journal of Accounting Research (43:3), pp.377-412. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-679x.2005.00175.x
- Carr, J. C., Haggard, S., Hmieleski, K. M., and Zahra, S. A. 2010. "A Study of the Moderating Effects of Firm Age at Internationalization on Firm Survival and Short-Term Growth," Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal (4:2), pp.183-192. https://doi.org/10.1002/sej.90
- Clark, T. S., and Linzer, D. A. 2015. "Should I Use Fixed or Random Effects?," Political Science Research and Methods (3:2), pp.399-408. https://doi.org/10.1017/psrm.2014.32
- Das, S., Levine, C., and Sivaramakrishanan, K. 1998. "Earnings Predictability and Bias in A nalysts' Earnings Forecasts," The Accounting Review (73:2), pp.277-294.
- Daily, C. M., and Johnson, J. L. 1997. "Sources of CEO Power and Firm Financial Performance: A Longitudinal Assessment," Journal of Management (23:2), pp. 97-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0149-2063(97)90039-8
- Davidson III, W. N., Xie, B., Xu, W., and Ning, Y. 2007. "The Influence of Executive Age, Career Horizon and Incentives on Pre-Turnover Earnings Management," Journal of Management and Governance (11:1), pp.45-60. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10997-007-9015-8
- Dechow, P. M., and Sloan, R. G. 1991. "Executives Incentives and the Horizon Problem: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Accounting and Economics (14:1), pp.51-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-7187(91)90058-S
- Dougherty, D. 1992. "Interpretive Barriers to Successful Product Innovation in Large Firms," Organization Science (3:2), pp.159-299. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.3.2.159
- Duru, A., and Reeb, D. M. 2002. "International Diversif ication and Analysts' Forecast Accuracy and Bias," The Accounting Review (77:2), pp.415-433. https://doi.org/10.2308/accr.2002.77.2.415
- Finkelstein, S., Hambrick, D. C., and Cannella, A. A. 2008. "Strategic Leadership: Theory and Research on Executives, Top Management Teams, and Boards," Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Freeman, R. 1987. "The Association Between Accounting Earnings and Security Returns for Large and Small Firms," Journal of Accounting and Economics (9:2), pp.195-228. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-4101(87)90005-X
- Gao, H. 2010. "Market Misvaluation, Managerial Horizon, and Acquisitions," Financial Management (39:2), pp.833-850. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1755-053X.2010.01094.x
- Geletkanycz, M. A., and Black, S. S. 2001. "Bound by the Past? Experience-Based Effects on Commitment to the Strategic Status Quo," Journal of Management (27:1), pp.3-21. https://doi.org/10.1177/014920630102700103
- Gentry, R. J. and Shen, W. 2012. "The impact of performance relative to analyst forecasts and analyst coverage on firm R&D intensity," Strategic Management Journal (34:1), pp.121-130. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.1997
- Hambrick, D. C., and D'Aveni, R. A. 1992. "Top Team Deterioration as Part of the Downward Spiral of Large Corporate Bankruptcies," Management Science (38:10), pp.1371-1523. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.38.10.1371
- Hambrick, D. C., and Mason, P. A. 1984. "Upper Echelons: The Organization As a Reflection of Its Top Managers," Academy of Management Review (9:2), pp.193-206. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1984.4277628
- Henderson, A. D., Miller, D., and Hambrick, D. C. 2006. "How Quickly Do CEOs Become Obsolete? Industry Dynamism, CEO Tenure, and Company Performance," Strategic Management Journal (27:5), pp. 447-460. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.524
- Herrmann, D. R., Hope, O. K., and Thomas, W. B. 2008. "International Diversification and Forecast Optimism: The Effects of Reg FD," Accounting Horizon (22:2), pp.179-197. https://doi.org/10.2308/acch.2008.22.2.179
- Hitt, M. A. and Tyler, B. B. 1991. "Strategic Decision Models: Integrating Different Perspectives," Strategic Management Journal (12:5), pp.327-351. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250120502
- Hunton, J. E. and McEwen, R. A. 1997. "An Assessment of the Relation Between Analysts' Earnings Forecast Accuracy, Motivational Incentives, and Cognitive Information Search Strategy," The Accounting Review (72:4), pp.497-515.
- Jackson, G. and Deeg, R. 2008. "Comparing Capitalisms: Understanding Institutional Diversity and Its Implications for International Business," Journal of International Business Studies (39:4), pp.540-561. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400375
- Jensen, M., and Zajac, E. J. 2004. "Corporate Elites and Corporate Strategy : How Demographic Preferences and Structural Position Shape the Scope of the Firm," Strategic Management Journal (25:6), pp.507-524. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.393
- Jonsson, A., and Foss, N. J. 2011. "International Expansion through Flexible Replication: Learning from the Internationalization Experience of IKEA," Journal of International Business Studies (42:9), pp.1089-1102.
- Kasznik, R., and McNichols, M. F. 2002. "Does Meeting Earnings Expectations Matter? Evidence from Analyst Forecast Revisions and Share Prices," Journal o f Accounting Research (40:3), pp.727-759. https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-679X.00069
- Khurana, I. K., Pereira, R., and Raman, K. K. 2003. "Does Analyst Behavior Explain Market Mispricing of Foreign Earning for U.S. Multinational Firms?," Journal of Accounting, Auditing & Finance (18:4), pp.453-477. https://doi.org/10.1177/0148558X0301800403
- King, R., Pownall, G., and Waymire G. 1990. "Expectations Adjustment Via Timely Management Forecasts: Review, Synthesis, and Suggestions for Future Research," Journal of Accounting Literature (9), pp.113-144.
- Lys, T., and Soo, L. 1995. "Analysts' Forecast Precision as a Response to Competition," Journal of Accounting, Auditing, and Finance (10), pp.751-763. https://doi.org/10.1177/0148558X9501000404
- Matta, E., and Beamish, P. W. 2008. "The Accentuated CEO Career Horizon Problem: Evidence from International Acquisitions," Strategic Management Journal (29:7), p p. 683-700. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.680
- McClelland, P. L., Barker III, V. L., and Oh, W. Y. 2012. "CEO Career Horizon and Tenure: Future Performance Implications Under Different Contingencies," Journal of Business Research (65:9), pp.1387-1393. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2011.09.003
- Miller, D. 1991. "Stale in the Saddle: CEO Tenure and the Match Between Organization," Management Science (37:1), pp. 34-52. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.37.1.34
- Musteen, M., Barker III, V. L., and Baeten, V. L. 2006. "CEO Attributes Associated with Attitude Toward Change: The Direct and Moderating Effects of CEO Tenure," Journal of Business Research (59:5), pp.604-612. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2005.10.008
- Pellegrino, J. M., and McNaughton, R. B. 2015. "The Co-evolution of Learning and Internationalization Strategy in International New Ventures," Management International Review (55:4), pp.457-483. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11575-015-0246-7
- Platikanova P., and Mattei, M. M. 2016. "Firm Geographic Dispersion and Financial Analysts' Forecasts," Journal of Banking & Finance (64), pp.71-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbankfin.2015.11.012
- Sapienza, H. J., Autio, E., George, G., and Zahra, S. A. 2006. "A Capabilities Perspective on the Effects of Early Internationalization on Firm Survival and Growth," Academy of Management Review (31:4), pp.914-933. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2006.22527465
- Schipper, K. 1991. "Analysts' Forecasts," Accounting Horizon (5:4), pp.105-121.
- Sun, W., Price, J., and Ding, Y. 2019. "The Longitudinal Effects of Internationalization on Firm Performance: The Moderating Role of Market Capability," Journal of Business Research (95), pp.326-337. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2018.08.014
- Thomas, W. B. 1999. "A Test of the Market's Mispricing of Domestic and Foreign Earnings," Journal of Accounting and Economics (28:3), pp.243-267. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-4101(00)00007-0
- Tihanyi, L., and Thomas, W. B. 2005. "Information-Processing Demands and the Multinational Enterprise: A Comparison of Foreign and Domestic Earnings Estimates," Journal of Business Research (58:3) pp.285-292. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(03)00133-4
- Zorn, D. M. 2004. "Here a Chief, There a Chief: The Rise of the CFO in the American Firm," American Sociological Review (69:3), pp.345-364. https://doi.org/10.1177/000312240406900302