- Volume 20 Issue 1
Variety of data have been opened or connected by several levels of government. In smart city initiatives, open data become the source of a new business model. This paper is to foster ways of public open data (POD) by analyzing the start-up company that utilizes POD. In order to fulfill it, this paper adapts the case study research. Findings say that POD has potential to validate and further enrich the platform business. But to find which types of public open data are most prevalent is insufficient. To do this, it is more needed that sophisticated and many cases should be examined. However, this paper shows that platform business by using POD could lead to reduce the cost and increase the benefits for both providers and customers. From the findings, this paper shows that public open data has an important role not only to boost new venture creations which are prevalent ways of smart city but also to foster different platforms enabling new value capture and creation according to development of internet of things based on ICT technology.
Supported by : Hongik University
- Ahokangas, P., Ailila, H., Hellaakoski, H., Kyllonen, V., Lehtimaki, T., Peltomaa, I., Seppanen, V., and Tanner, H. 2015. Collaborative Business Networks of the Future" VTT Value Network 2.0. VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland.
- Al-Debei, M. M., and Avison, D. 2010. "Developing a unified framework of the business model concept," European Journal of Information Systems (19), pp. 359-376. https://doi.org/10.1057/ejis.2010.21
- Altman, E. J. 2015. "Platform and ecosystem transitions: strategic and organizational implications," doctoral dissertation, Harvard Business School, available at: http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:HUL.InstRepos:16881891.
- Amit, R., and Zott, C. 2015. "Crafting business architecture: the antecedents of business model design," Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal (9:4), pp. 331-350. https://doi.org/10.1002/sej.1200
- Amit, R., and Zott, C. 2001, "Value creation in e-business," Strategic Management Journal (22:6-7), pp. 493-520. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.187
- Applegate, L. M. 2001. Emerging networked business models: lessons from the field. HBS No. 9-801-172, Harvard Business School, Boston, MA.
- Armstrong, M., and Wright, J. 2007. "Two-sided markets, competitive bottlenecks and exclusive contracts," Economic Theory (32:2), pp. 353-380. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00199-006-0114-6
- Attard, J., Orlandi, F., Scerri, S., and Auer, S. 2015. "A systematic review of open government data initiatives, Government information Quarterly (32:4), pp. 399-418. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.giq.2015.07.006
- Berners-Lee, T. Linked data. 2010. http://www.w3org/DesignIssues/linkedData.html.
- Benson-Rea, M., Brodie, R. J., and Sima, H. 2013. "The plurality of co-existing business models: investigating the complexity of value drivers," Industrial Marketing Management (42:5), pp. 717-729. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2013.05.011
- Borins, S. 2014. The Persistence of innovation in government, Cambridge: Brookings Institution Press with Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation.
- Breidbach, C. F., and Brodie, R. J. 2017. "Engagement platforms in the sharing economy: conceptual foundations and research directions," Journal of Service Theory and Practice (27:4), pp. 761-777. https://doi.org/10.1108/JSTP-04-2016-0071
- Chesbrough, H., and Rosenbloom, R.S. 2002. "The role of the business model in capturing value from innovatsion: evidence from Xerox Corporation's technology spin-off companies," Industrial and corporate change (11:3), pp. 529-555. https://doi.org/10.1093/icc/11.3.529
- Creswell, J. W. 2007. Qualitative inquiry and research design: Choosing among five approaches (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA:Sage.
- Cusumano, M. A., and Gawer, A. 2002. "The elements of platform leadership," MIT Sloan Management Review (43:3), pp. 51-58.
- Cusumano, M. A. 2010a. "Technology strategy and management The evolution of platform thinking," Communications of the ACM (53:1), pp. 32-34. https://doi.org/10.1145/1629175.1629189
- Danneels, L., and Viaene, S. 2015. "Simple rules strategy to transform government: An ADR approach," Government information Quarterly (32:4), pp. 516-525. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.giq.2015.09.006
- Eisenmann, T., Hallowell, R., and Tripsas, M. 2001, "Internet business models: texts and cases." New York: McGraw-Hill Eduction.
- Eisenmann, T., Parker, G., and Van Alstyne, M. 2006. "Platform envelopment," Strategic Management Journal (32:12), pp. 1270-1285. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.935
- Eisenhardt, K. M. 1989. "Building theories from case study research," Academy of Management Review (14:4), pp. 532-550. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1989.4308385
- Eisenmann, T., Parker, G., and Van Alstyne, M. 2011. 'Platform envelopment', Strategic Management Journal (32:12), pp. 1270-1285. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.935
- Evans, D. S. 2003. "Some empirical aspects of multi-sided platform industries," Review of Network Economics (2:3).
- Evans, D. S., and Schmalensee, R. 2013. "The antitrust analysis of multi-sided platform businesses," National Bureau of Economic Research.
- Fu, W., Wang, Q., and Zhao, X. 2017. "The influence of platform service innovation on value co-creation activities and the network effect," Journal of Service Management (28:2), pp. 348-388. https://doi.org/10.1108/JOSM-10-2015-0347
- Gawer, A., and Cusumano, M. A. 2014. "Industry plat forms and ecosystem innovation," Journal of Product Innovation Management (31:3), pp. 417-433. https://doi.org/10.1111/jpim.12105
- Janowski, T. 2015. "Digital government evolution: From transformation to contextualization," Government Information Quarterly (32 :4), pp. 221-236. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.giq.2015.07.001
- Kim, D. J., and Om, K. Y. 2018. "Influence of R&D intensity on innovation performance in the Korean Pharmaceutical Industry: Focusing on the Moderating effects of R&D collaboration," Knowledge Management Research (19:3), pp. 189-223. https://doi.org/10.15813/kmr.2018.19.3.009
- Koo, K. M., Baek, H. M., and Lee. S. R. 2017. "The Impact on Structures of Knowledge Creation and Sharing on Performance of Open Collaboration: Focus on Open Source Software Development Communities," Knowledge Management Research (18:4), pp. 287-306. https://doi.org/10.15813/kmr.2017.18.4.012
- Kucera, J., Chalpek, D., and Necasky, M. 2013. "Open government data catalogs: current approaches and quality perspective, Technology-enabled innovation for democracy. pp. 8061.
- Le Grand, J. 2007. The other invisible hand: Delivering public services through choice and competition, Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Lieseelot, D., Stijn, V., and Joachim, V-den, B. 2017. "Open data platforms: Discussing alternative knowledge epistemologies," Government Information Quarterly (34), pp. 365-378. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.giq.2017.08.007
- Maccani, G., Donnellan, B., and Helfert, M. 2015. "Exploring the factors that influence the diffusion of open data for new service development: An interpretive case study," ECIS 2015: Proceedings of 23rd European conference on information systems, munster.
- Nenonen, S., and Storbacka, K. 2010, "Business model design: conceptualizing networked value co-creation," International Journal of Quality and Service Sciences (2:1), pp. 43-59. https://doi.org/10.1108/17566691011026595
- Nocke, V., Peitz, M., and Stahl, K. 2007. "Platform ownership," Journal of the European Economic Association (5:6), pp. 1130-1160. https://doi.org/10.1162/JEEA.2007.5.6.1130
- Osborne, D., and Gaebler, T. 1992. Reinventing government : How the entrepreneurial spirit is transforming the public sector, Reading: MA: Addison-Wesley.
- Osterwalder, A., Pigneur, Y., and Tucci, C.L. 2005. "Clarifying business models: origins, present, and future of the concept," Communications of AIS (15), pp. 1-43.
- Ranerup, A., Henriksen, H. Z., and Hedman, J. 2016. "An analysis of business models in public Service platforms," Government Information Quarterly (33), pp. 6-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.giq.2016.01.010
- Schramm, W. 1971. "Notes on case studies of instructional medial project," Working paper for the Academy for Educational Development, Washington, DC.
- Schumpeter, J. A. 1942. "Capitalism, Socialism and Democracy." Abingdon: Taylor and Francis.
- Song, P., Xue, L., Rai, A., and Zhang, C. 2018 "The ecosystem of software platform: A study of asymmetric cross-side network effects and platform governance," MIS Quarterly (42:1), pp. 121-142. https://doi.org/10.25300/MISQ/2018/13737
- Styrin, E., Luna-Reyess, L., and Harrison, T. M. 2016. "Open data and open government: From abstract principles to institutionalized practices : Proceedings of 17th annual international conference on digital government research, Shanghia, Chia.
- Tapscott, D., Lowy, A., and Ticoll, D. 2000. Digital Capital: Harnessing the Power of Business Webs, Harvard Business School Press, Boston, MA.
- Teece, D. J. 2010. "Business models, business strategy and innovation," Long Range Plannin (43:2), pp. 172-194. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lrp.2009.07.003
- Timmers, P. 1998. "Business models for electronic markets," Electronic Markets (8:2), pp. 3-8. https://doi.org/10.1080/10196789800000016
- Yin, R. K. 1999. Enhancing the quality of case studies in Health services research, Health Services Research (34), pp. 1209-1224.
- Yin, R. K. 2011. Qualitative research from start to finish, New York: Guilford.
- Zott, C., Amit, R. and Massa, L. 2011. "The business model: recent developments and future research," Journal of Management (37:4), pp. 1019-1042. https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206311406265