- Volume 20 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
An Empirical Analysis on the Spillover Effects of R&D Investment in the ICT industry
ICT 산업의 R&D 투자가 타 산업에 미치는 파급효과 측정
- Received : 2018.11.12
- Accepted : 2019.01.25
- Published : 2019.03.31
This paper examines spillover effects of R&D investment in the ICT industry to other industries by analyzing panel data composed of 6 manufacturing industries for the period of 1983~2011. Major findings are as follows; (1) The increase of R&D investment in ICT industry has a significantly positive relationship with the increase in the value-added of the remaining 5 industries with 3~10 year lags, depending on the source of R&D funds and R&D stage. (2) More specifically, public R&D shows the spillover effects during 3~7-year lag periods, whereas private R&D started to exert spillover effects from 9-year lag. The result implies that the public R&D appropriately targets projects with more spillover effects. (3) Basic research, applied research, and development showed the spillover effects for the period of 9~10, 7~10, and 10-year lag, respectively. (4) The R&D investment in 5 other industries such as machinery, chemicals, and materials does not have positive spillover effects to the remaining industries. Few studies have been done to analyze the R&D spillover effects to other industries, with certain limitations. This study contributes to the existing literature by analyzing the spillover effects of the different R&D funds and R&D stages, and by considering various time-lag effects.
- 강두룡 2002. "정보화와 한국경제성장 및 생산성 변화," 국제경제연구 (8:2), pp. 211-243.
- 김정언, 강성진, 정현준, 이경남, 임순옥 2011. 방송통신 R&D 투자의 파급효과 분석과 정책방향, 정책연구 11-27, 정보통신정책연구원.
- 송준기 1994. "R&D 자본과 생산성관계에 관한 실증적 분석," 한국산업조직학회, 산업조직연구, 제3집, pp. 37-56.
- 윤충한, 장화탁 2000. 정보통신 연구개발투자의 경제적 효과 연구, 정책연구 00-16, 정보통신정책연구원.
- 이기동 2001. "산업별 데이터를 이용한 정보통신기술 투자의 생산성 분석," 국제경제연구 (7:2), pp. 163-193.
- 이원기, 김봉기 2003. "연구개발투자의 생산성 파급효과 분석," 조사통계월보, 한국은행 5월호, pp. 24-51.
- 조신, 김희선 2014. "ICT 산업에서의 연구개발투자: 성과 평가와 시사점," Telecommunication Review, 한국이동통신 30년 특집호, pp. 48-75.
- 조윤애 1994. 한국 제조업의 연구개발투자효과, 연세대학교 대학원 박사학위논문.
- Bailey, M. N., and Lawrence, R. 2001. "Do We Have a New E-conomy?," American Economic Review, Papers and Proceedings (91: 2), pp. 308-313. https://doi.org/10.1257/aer.91.2.308
- Chang, Y. B., and Gurbaxani, V. 2012. "The impact of IT-related Spillovers on Long-run Productivity: An Empirical Analysis," Information Systems Research (23:3), pp. 868-886. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1110.0381
- Cheng, Z., and Nault, B. 2007. "Industry level supplier-driven IT spillovers," Management Science (53:8), pp. 1199-1216. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1060.0657
- Cheng, Z., and Nault, B. 2012. "Relative industry concentration and customer-driven IT spillovers," Information Systems Research (23:2), pp. 340-355. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1100.0345
- Clark, K., and Griliches, Z. 1984. "Productivity growth and R&D at the Business Level: Results from the PIMS Data Base," in Griliches, Z. ed., R&D, Patents, & Productivity, University of Chicago Press, pp. 393-416.
- Coe, D. T., and Helpman, E. 1995. "International R&D spillovers," European Economic Review (39:5), pp. 859-887. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-2921(94)00100-E
- Dutta, D., and Otsuka, K. 2006. "An analysis of knowledge spillover from information and communication technology in Australia, Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan," Working Paper, University of Sydney.
- Griliches, Z. 1979. "Issues in Assessing the Contribution of Research and Development to Productivity Growth," Bell Journal of Economics (10:1), pp. 92-116. https://doi.org/10.2307/3003321
- Griliches, Z. 1992. "The Search for R&D Spillovers," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 94, S29-547. https://doi.org/10.2307/3440244
- Griliches, Z., and Lichtenberg, F. 1984. "R&D and Productivity Growth at the Industry Level: Is There Still a Relationship?," in Griliches, Z. ed., R&D, Patents, & Productivity, University of Chicago Press, pp.465-496
- Gujarati, D., and Porter, D. 2009. Basic Econometrics (5th ed.), McGraw Hill.
- Jorgenson, D. W., and Stiroh, K. J. 2000. "Raising the Speed Limit: U.S. Economic Growth in the Information Age," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, pp. 125-211.
- Kennedy, P. 2002. "Oh No! I Got the Wrong Sign! What Should I Do?," Discussion Paper 02-3, Simon Fraser University.
- Los, B., and Verspagen, B. 2000. "R&D Spillovers and Productivity: Evidence from U.S. Manufacturing Microdata," Empirical Economics, 25, pp. 127-148 https://doi.org/10.1007/s001810050007
- Mairesse, J., and Griliches, Z. 1990. "R&D and Productivity Growth: Comparing Japanese and U.S. Manufacturing Firms," in Hulten, C. ed., Productivity Growth in Japan and the United States, University of Chicago Press, pp. 317-340.
- Mohnen, P. 1996. "R&D Externality and Productivity Growth," STI Review, No. 7, OECD, Paris.
- Monjon, S., and Waelbroeck, P. 2003. "Assessing spillovers from universities to firms: Evidence from French firm-level data," International Journal of Industrial Organization (21:9), pp. 1255-1270. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-7187(03)00082-1
- Nadiri, E. 1993. "Innovations and technological spillovers," NBER Working Paper 4423.
- Nordhaus, W. D. 2002. "Productivity Growth and the New Economy," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, 2
- OECD, 2015. Frascati Manual 2015: Guidelines for collecting and reporting data on research and experimental development.
- Oliner, S. D., and Sichel, D. E. 2000. "The resurgence of growth in the late 1990s: is information technology the story?," Journal of Economic Perspectives (14:4), pp. 3-22. https://doi.org/10.1257/jep.14.4.3
- Romer, P. M. 1994. "The Origins of Endogenous Growth," Journal of Economic Perspectives (8:1), pp. 3-22. https://doi.org/10.1257/jep.8.1.3
- Solow, R. 1956. "A contribution to the theory of economic growth," Quarterly Journal of Economics (70:1), pp. 64-94.
- Stiroh, K. J. 2000. The Economic Impact of Information Technology, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Stiroh, K. J. 2002. "Are ICT Spillovers Driving the New Economy?," Review of Income and Wealth (48:1), pp. 33-57. https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-4991.00039
- Tambe, P., and Hitt, L. M. 2014. "Job Hopping, Information Technology Spillovers, and Productivity Growth," Management Science (60:2), pp. 338-355. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.2013.1764
- Wakelin, K. 2001. "Productivity Growth and R&D Expenditure in UK Manufacturing Firms," Research Policy (30:7), pp. 1079-1090. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-7333(00)00136-0
- Wieser, R. 2005. "Research and development productivity and spillovers: Empirical evidence at the firm level," Journal of Economic Surveys (19:4), pp. 587-621. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0950-0804.2005.00260.x
- Wolff, E. N. 2002. "Productivity, Computerization, and Skill Change," NBER Working Paper, 8743