- Volume 39 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Comparison on Dry Matter Yield and Feed Value of Winter Forage Crops Cultivated after Rice Harvest in the Central Inland Region
중부내륙지방에서 벼 수확 후 재배한 월동 사료작물들의 생산성 및 사료가치 비교
- Lee, Sang Moo (Department of Animal Science, Kyungpook National University)
- 이상무 (경북대학교 축산학과)
- Received : 2019.02.20
- Accepted : 2019.03.12
- Published : 2019.03.31
This study was carried out to investigate the growth characteristics, yield, and chemical compositions of winter forage crops cultivated after rice harvest in the central inland region. The experimental design was arranged in a randomized block design with three replications. The treatments consisted of 4 species (Rye, Oat, Triticale and Italian ryegrass), and varieties were "Marton", "Donghan", "Shinyoung" and "Kowinnearly", respectively. As a result, dry matter yield and TDN yield were higher in rye than in the other winter forage crops, and lowest in Oat(p<0.05). Crude protein and crude fat content were significantly higher in Italian ryegrass(p<0.05). However, Crude ash and ADF content did not show significant difference among winter forage crops. NDF content was higher in order of Rye > Triticale > Oat > Italian ryegrass(p<0.05). TDN and total amino acid content (EAA+NEAA) were higher in order of winter forage crop with high crude protein content (Italian ryegrass > Oat > Triticale > Rye). Total mineral content was higher in order of Rye > Triticale > Oat > Italian ryegrass(p<0.05), and total free sugar content was higher in order of Oat > Italian Ryegrass > Triticale > Rye(p<0.05). Compared with the results above, Italian ryegrass and Oat are high in crude protein, TDN, amino acid and free sugar content. Rye and Triticale have the merit that feed value is decreased but high yield(dry matter and TDN yield) can be maintained. Therefore, it is advantageous to grow Rye and Triticale as winter forage crops after rice harvest in the central inland region.
- AOAC. 1995. Official methods of analysis. 16th ed. Association of analytical chemist, Washington, DC., USA.
- Choi, G.J., Choi, K.C., Hwang, T.Y., Jung, J.S., Kim, J.H., Kim, W.H., Lee, E.J., Sung, K.L. and Lee, K.W. 2018. Impact of different environmental conditions and production techniques on forage productivity of italian rtegrass in central and southern regions of Korea. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 38:231-244. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2018.38.4.231
- Chun, W.B. and Chung, W.T. 1988. Study on productivity and cutting management in orchardgrass pasture. IV. Mineral contents and grass tatany hazard of grasses in mountain pasture. Korean Journal of Animal Science. 30:370-374.
- Cui, Y., Kim, E.J. and Lee, S.M. 2016. Growth characteristics, yield and nutritive values of new Teosinte, 'Geukdong 6'. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 36:150-158. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2016.36.2.150
- Davies, D.R., Merry, R.J., Williams, A.P., Bakewell, E.L., Leemans, D.K. and Tweed, J.K.S. 1998. Proteolysis during ensilage of forage varying in soluble sugar content. Journal of Dairy Science. 81:444-454. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(98)75596-1
- Do, G.H., Kim, E.J. and Lee, S.M. 2012. Effects of harvest stage on agronomic characteristics, yield and feed value of silage corn in the newly reclaimed hilly land. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 32:1-10. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2012.32.1.1
- Esen, A. and Celik, N. 1997. Effect of cutting stage on yield and quality of triticale (x Triticosecale Witt.) cultivars. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland Science. 17:89-92.
- Goring, H.K. and Van Soest, P.J. 1970. Forage fiber analysis. Agic. handbook. No. 379. ARS. USDA. Washington DC.
- Heo, H.Y., Park, H.H., Kim, M.J., Choi, S.U., Park, K.G., Nam, J.H., Kim, J.G., Lee, C.K and Keon, Y.U. 2003. A new cold tolerant, high forage and grain yielding winter oat cultivars "Samhan". Korean Journal of Breeding Science. 35:331-332.
- Hwang, J.H. and Lee, S.M. 2015. Effects of mixed application of chemical fertilizer with liquid swine manure on agronomic characteristic, yield and feed value of sorghum x sorghum hybrid for silage in paddy field cultivation. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 34:290-296.
- Ju, J.L., Lee, D.H., Han, O.K., Song, T.H., Kim, C.H. and Lee, H.B. 2011. Comparisons of characteristics, yield and feed quality of oat varieties sown in spring and autumn. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 31:25-32. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2011.31.1.25
- Ju, J.L., Lee, D.H., Seong, Y.G., Han, O.K., Song, T.H., Lee, K.W. and Kim, C.H. 2010. Comparisons of growth, yield and feed quality at spring sowing among five winter cereals for whole-crop silage use. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 30:205-216. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2010.30.3.205
- Kim, C.H. and Chae, J.C. 1994. Effects of nitrogen fertilizer application level and cutting time on forage yield and feed value of rye in paddy field. Korean Journal of Crop Science. 39:373-381.
- Kim, H.Y., Chu, G.M., Kim, S.C., Ha, J.H., Kim, J.H., Lee, S.D. and Song, Y.M. 2012. The nutritive value of grains from barly cultivars (Wooho, Youngyang, Yuyeon). Joural of Agriculture and Life Science. 46:69-78.
- Kim, J.G., Liu, C., Zhao, G., Kim, H.J., Kim, M.J., Kim, C.M. and Ahn, E.K. 2018. Study on the forage cropping system linked to whole crop rice and winter crop in southern region. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 38:202-209. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2018.38.4.202
- Kim, K.S. and Kang, B.K. 1987. Studies on the hypomagnesemia of ruminants. II. Mineral contents of grasses in Chonnam district. II. Mineral contents of grasses in Chonnam district. Korean Journal of Animal Science. 29:208-214.
- Kim, W.H., Kim, K.Y., Jung, M.W., Ji, H.C., Lim, Y.C., Seo, S., Kim, J.D., Yoon, B.K. and Lee, H.W. 2011. Dry matter yield and forage quality at mixture of annual legumes and Italian ryegrass on paddy field. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 31:33-38. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2011.31.1.33
- Ko, H.J., Park, H.S., Kim, S.G. and Kim, D.A. 2002. Yield and quality of forage mixture as affected by maturity of rye cultivar and oat-rye seeding rate. Journal of Animal Science and Technology. 44:239-250. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2002.44.2.239
- Lee, S.M. 2011. Effects of application of fermented swine manure on the growth characteristics and yields of Italian ryegrass in paddy field. Journal of Ecology and Environmental Science. 3:162-167.
- Lee, S.M. 2013. Effects of seeding dates on yield and feed value of Italian ryegrass in paddy field cultivation. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 33:185-192. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2013.33.3.185
- Lee, S.M. and Kim, E.J. 2013. Study on nutritive values of whole crop barley varieties grown in paddy field. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 33:30-38. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2013.33.1.30
- Lee, S.M. and Kim, E.J. 2017. Growth characteristics and nutritional composition of Italian ryegrass(Lolium multiflorum Lam.) cultivars grown in a paddy field. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 37(2):185-190.
- Lee, S.S., Park, C.H. and Chang, Y.D. 1985. Forage productivity and quality of triticale and rye. Korean Journal of Crop Science. 30:388-397.
- Park, H.H., Heo, H.Y., Park, K.H., Park, T.L., Seo, J.H., Cheong, Y.K., Choi, J.S., Kim, J.G., Kwon, Y.U., Ju, J.L., Rye, I.M., Hong, Y.G., Jung, K.Y. and Han, O.K. 2007. A new early-heading and high-yielding forage winter oat cultivar, "Chohan". Korean Journal of Breeding Science. 39:124-125.
- SAS. 2002. SAS/ STAT user's guide ver. 9.2 SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- Song, T.H., Park, T.L., Park, H.H., Cho, S.K., Oh, Y.J., Jang, Y.W., Rho, J.H., Park, K.G. and Kang, H.J. 2014. Study of the use of winter forage crops, early maturing rice and summer oats in triple cropping systems at paddy field in south region. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 34:227-233. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2014.34.4.227
- Yun, S.G. and Ataku, K. 2000. Effects of maturing stages on chemical composition for feed and in vitro dry matter digestibility of triticale. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland Science. 20:227-232.
- Menke, K.H. und W. Huss. 1980. Tierernaehrung und futtermittel-kunde. UTB Ulmer. pp. 38-41.