- Volume 16 Issue 3
This study investigated the possibility of using the recorded micro tremor data on ground level as ambient vibration input excitation data for investigation and application Operational Modal Analysis (OMA) on the bench-scale earthquake simulator (The Quanser Shake Table) for model chimney. As known OMA methods (such as EFDD, SSI and so on) are supposed to deal with the ambient responses. For this purpose, analytical and experimental modal analysis of a model chimney for dynamic characteristics was performed. 3D Finite element model of the chimney was evaluated based on the design drawing. Ambient excitation was provided by shake table from the recorded micro tremor ambient vibration data on ground level. Enhanced Frequency Domain Decomposition is used for the output only modal identification. From this study, best correlation is found between mode shapes. Natural frequencies and analytical frequencies in average (only) 1.996% are different.
experimental modal analysis;chimney;modal parameter;EFDD;shake table
- Aliev, F.A. and Larin, V.B. (1998), Optimization of Linear Control Systems: Analytical Methods and Computational Algorithms, CRC Press.
- Altunisik, A.C., Bayraktar, A., Sevim, B., Kartal, M.E. and Adanur, S. (2010), "Finite element model updating of an arch type steel laboratory bridge model using semi-rigid connection", Steel Compos. Struct., 10(6), 541-561. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2010.10.6.541
- Alvin, K.F. and Park, K.C. (1994), "Second-order structural identification procedure via state-space-based system identification", AIAA J., 32(2), 397-406. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.11997
- ANSI S2.47 (1990), Vibration of Buildings-Guidelines for the Measurement of Vibrations and Evaluation of Their Effects on Buildings.
- ARTeMIS Extractor (1999), Structural Vibration Solutions, Aalborg, Denmark.
- Balmes, E. (1997), "New results on the identification of normal modes from experimental complex modes", Mech. Syst. Signal Pr., 11(2), 229-243. https://doi.org/10.1006/mssp.1996.0058
- Bendat, J.S. (1998), Nonlinear Systems Techniques and Applications, Wiley.
- Brincker, R., Zhang, L. and Andersen, P. (2000), "Modal identification from ambient responses using frequency domain decomposition", Proceedings of the 18th International Modal Analysis Conference (IMAC), San Antonio, Texas, USA, February.
- Cunha, A., Caetano, E., Magalhaes, F. and Moutinho, C. (2005), "From input-output to output-only modal identification of civil engineering structures", 1st International Operational Modal Analysis Conference (IOMAC), Copenhagen, Denmark, April.
- Friswell, M. and Mottershead, J.E. (1995), Finite Element Model Updating In Structural Dynamics, Springer Science-Business Media.
- Gorski, P. (2017), "Dynamic characteristic of tall industrial chimney estimated from GPS measurement and frequency domain decomposition", Eng. Struct., 148, 277-292. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2017.06.066
- HO, B. and Kalman, R.E. (1966), "Effective construction of linear state-variable models from input/output functions", at-Automatisierungstechnik, 14(1-12), 545-548.
- Ibrahim, S.R. (1977), "Random decrement technique for modal identification of structures", J. Spacecraft Rock., 14(11), 696-700. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.57251
- Ibrahim, S.R. and Miculcik, E.C. (1977), "A method for the direct identification of vibration parameters from the free response", Shock Vib. Bull., 47(4), 183-194.
- Jacobsen, N.J., Andersen, P. and Brincker, R. (2006), "Using enhanced frequency domain decomposition as a robust technique to harmonic excitation in operational modal analysis", International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering (ISMA), Leuven, Belgium, September.
- Juang, J.N. (1994), Applied System Identification, Prentice Hall.
- Juang, J.N. and Pappa, R.S. (1985), "An eigensystem realization algorithm for modal parameter identification and model reduction", J. Guid. Control Dyn., 8(5), 620-627. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.20031
- Juang, J.N., Cooper, J.E. and Wright, J.R. (1988), "An eigensystem realization algorithm using data correlations (ERA/DC) for modal parameter identification", Control-Theor. Adv. Technol., 4(1), 5-14.
- Juang, J.N., Phan, M., Horta, L.G. and Longman, R.W. (1993), "Identification of observer/kalman filter markov parameterstheory and experiments", J. Guid. Control Dyn., 16(2), 320-329. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.21006
- Kalman, R.E. (1960), "A new approach to linear filtering and prediction problems", J. Basic Eng., 82(1), 35-45. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3662552
- Kasimzade, A.A. (2006), "Coupling of the control system and the system identification toolboxes with application in structural dynamics", International Control Conference (ICC2006), Glasgow, Scotland, UK, September.
- Kasimzade, A.A. and Tuhta, S. (2007), "Ambient vibration analysis of steel structure", Experimental Vibration Analysis of Civil Engineering Structures (EVACES'07), Porto, Portugal, October.
- Kasimzade, A.A. and Tuhta, S. (2007), "Particularities of monitoring, identification, model updating hierarchy in experimental vibration analysis of structures", Experimental Vibration Analysis of Civil Engineering Structures (EVACES'07), Porto, Portugal, October.
- Kasimzade, A.A. and Tuhta, S. (2009), "Optimal estimation the building system characteristics for modal identification", 3rd International Operational Modal Analysis Conference (IOMAC), Porto Novo, Ancona, Italy, May.
- Kasimzade, A.A. and Tuhta, S. (2017), "Application of OMA on the bench-scale earthquake simulator using micro tremor data", Struct. Eng. Mech., 61(2), 267-274. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2017.61.2.267
- Lapsiwala, H.D., Dhameliya, H. and Kheni, H. (2014), "A review of analysis of industrial steel chimney", Int. J. Adv. Eng. Res. Develop., 1(12), 169-172
- Ljung, L. (1999), System Identification: Theory for the User, Prentice Hall.
- Lus, H., De Angelis, M., Betti, R. and Longman, R.W. (2003), "Constructing second-order models of mechanical systems from identified state space realizations. Part I: Theoretical discussions", J. Eng. Mech., 129(5), 477-488. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2003)129:5(477)
- Marwala, T. (2010), Finite Element Model Updating Using Computational Intelligence Techniques: Applications to Structural Dynamics, Springer Science-Business Media.
- Peeters, B. (2000), "System identification and damage detection in civil engineering", Ph.D. Dissertation, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium.
- Phan, M.Q., Longman, R.W., Lee, S.C. and Lee, J.W. (2003), "System identification from multiple-trial data corrupted by non-repeating periodic disturbances", Int. J. Appl. Math. Comput. Sci., 13(2), 185-192.
- Quanser (2008), Position Control and Earthquake Analysis. Quanser Shake Table II User Manual, Nr 632, Rev 3.50, Quanser Inc., Markham, Canada.
- Rinki, S.S.S. (2016), "Response of flare base self-supporting steel stack under the static & dynamic wind loads with variable wind speed", Int. J. Eng. Res. General Sci., 4(4), 391-395.
- Roeck, G.D. (2003), "The state-of-the-art of damage detection by vibration monitoring: the SIMCES experience", J. Struct. Control, 10(2), 127-134. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.20
- SAP2000 (1997), Integrated Finite Element Analysis and Design of Structures, Computers and Structures Inc., Berkeley, California, USA.
- Sestieri, A. and Ibrahim, S.R. (1994), "Analysis of errors and approximations in the use of modal coordinates", J. Sound Vib., 177(2), 145-157. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.1994.1424
- Trifunac, M.D. (1972), "Comparisons between ambient and forced vibration experiments", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 1(2), 133-150. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290010203
- Tseng, D.H., Longman, R.W. and Juang, J.N. (1994), "Identification of the structure of the damping matrix in second order mechanical systems", Spaceflight Mech., 167-190.
- Tseng, D.H., Longman, R.W. and Juang, J.N. (1994), "Identification of gyroscopic and nongyroscopic second order mechanical systems including repeated root problems", Spaceflight Mech., 145-165.
- Turkeli, E., Karaca, Z. and Ozturk, H.T. (2017), "On the wind and earthquake response of reinforced concrete chimneys", Earthq. Struct., 12(5), 559-567.
- Turker, T. (2014), "Structural evaluation of Aspendos (Belkis) masonry bridge", Struct. Eng. Mech., 50(4), 419-439. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2014.50.4.419
- Van Overschee, P. and De Moor, B.L. (1996), Subspace Identification for Linear Systems: Theory-Implementation-Applications, Springer Science-Business Media.
- Ventura, C.E. and Schuster, N.D. (1996), "Structural dynamic properties of a reinforced concrete high-rise building during construction", Can. J. Civil Eng., 23(4), 950-972. https://doi.org/10.1139/l96-901
- Wenzel, H. and Pichler, D. (2005), Ambient Vibration Monitoring, John Wiley & Sons.