- Volume 16 Issue 3
Obelisks are historical monuments. There are several obelisks dating from ancient Egyptian period, located around various parts of the world. The city of Istanbul is a home to the Obelisk of Theodosius at the Hippodrome. Due to the expectation of a large event in the near future, the evaluation of seismic response of the Obelisk gets importance. Therefore, in this study structural dynamic behavior of the Obelisk was investigated using discrete element approach. Nonlinear dynamic analyses were performed using real and synthetic time series. Real and synthetic ground motions analyzed from this study seems consistent with the earthquake hazard levels that would be expected at the site of the Obelisk in the occurrence of an event of moment magnitude above 7.0 near Istanbul. Results are evaluated in terms of variation of displacement, relative displacement of adjacent blocks, normal stress and shear stress in time.
obelisk;discrete element modelling;nonlinear dynamic analysis
- Abdel-Gawwad, A.K., El-Kady, H.M. and Shalaby, A.M. (2011), "Three dimensional dynamic analysis of ancient Egyptian obelisks to investigate their behavior under Aqaba earthquake", J. Emerg. Trend. Eng. Appl. Sci. (JETEAS), 2(2), 266-272.
- Arslan, P.Y. (2016), "Towards a new honorific column: The column of Constantine in early Byzantine urban landscape", METU J. Faculty Archit., 33(1), 121-145. https://doi.org/10.4305/METU.JFA.2016.1.5
- Barka, A.A. (1992), "The north Anatolian fault zone", Annales Tectonicae, 6(Suppl), 164-195.
- Bilen, C.A., Erisis, S., Er, S., Yilmaz, M., Angi, S. and Tugrul, A. (2016), "Deterioration types of stones used in Suleymaniye mosque (Istanbul, Turkey)", IOP Conf. Series: Earth and Environmental Science, 44, Bristol, UK.
- Bongiovanni, G., Clemente, P., Rinaldis, D. and Saitta, F. (2011), "Traffic-induced vibrations in historical buildings", Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Structural Dynamics, EURODYN 2011, Leuven, Belgium, July.
- Borghi, A., Angelici, D., Borla, M., Castelli, D., d'Atri, A. Gariani, G. Giudice, A. Lo., Martire, L., Re, A. and Vaggelli, G. (2015), "The stones of the statuary of the Egyptian Museum of Torino (Italy): Geologic and petrographic characterization", Rendiconti Lincei, 26(4), 385-398.
- Borghi, A., D'Amicone, E., Serra, M., Vaggelli, G. and Vigna, L. (2011), "Ramses II in majesty: A minero-petrographic and provenance rockstudy", Proceedings of the 37th Int. Symp. on Archaeometry, Ed. I. Turbanti-Memmi, Springer, Berlin, 193-198.
- Cakti, E., Saygili, O., Lemos, J.V. and Oliveira, C.S. (2016), "Discrete element modeling of a scaled masonry structure and its validation", Eng. Struct., 126, 224-236. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2016.07.044
- Cundall, P.A. and Hart, R.D. (1992), "Numerical modeling of discontinua", Eng. Comput., 9(2), 101-113. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb023851
- Cundall, P.A. and Strack, O.D.L. (1979), "A discrete numerical model for granular assemblies", Geotechnique, 29, 47-65. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.1922.214.171.124
- Darwish, M. and Rashwan, M. (2018), "Structural dynamic characteristics of Ancient Egyptian obelisks and their responses to earthquake loads", Pract. Period. Struct. Des. Constr., 23(2), 04018004
- Engelbach, R. (1923), The Problem of the Obelisks from A Study of the Unfinished Obelisk in Aswan, T. Fisher Unwin Ltd., London.
- Erdik, M. (2000), Report on 1999 Kocaeli and Duzce (Turkey) Earthquakes.
- Geological (2007), Geotechnical Study Report According To The Construction Plans as a Result of Settlement Purposed Microzonation Works, Istanbul Metropolitan Municipalty Department Of Earthquake Risk Management And Urban Development Directorate Of Earthquake And Ground Analysis Istanbul.
- Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality (IMM) (2007), "Geologicalgeotechnical study report according to the construction plans as a result of settlement purposed microzonation works".
- Itasca (2016), 3DEC (3-Dimensional Distinct Element Code) Version 5.2, Itasca Consulting Group, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Kelany, A., Negem, M., Tohami, A. and Heldal, T. (2009), "Granite quarry survey in the Aswan region, Egypt: Shedding new light on ancient quarrying", Quarryscapes: Ancient stone quarry landscapes in the Eastern Mediterranean, Eds. N. Abu-Jaber, E. Bloxam, P. Degryse, and T. Heldal, Geological Survey of Norway, Oslo.
- Klemm, D.D. and Klemm, R. (2001), "The building stones of ancient Egypt-A gift of its geology", J. Afr. Earth Sci., 33(3-4), 631-642. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0899-5362(01)00085-9
- Klemm, R. and Klemm, D. (2008), Stones and Quarries in Ancient Egypt, British Museum Press, London.
- Lemos, J.V., Oliveira, C.S. and Navarro, M. (2015) "3-D nonlinear behavior of an obelisk subjected to the Lorca May 11, 2011 strong motion record", Eng. Fail. Anal., 58, 212-228. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2015.09.001
- Ludovico-Marques, M. (2008), "Contribution to the knowledge of the effect of crystallization of salts in the weathering of sandstones", Ph.D. Dissertation, Universidade Nova de Lisboa. Lisbon.
- Mehrotra, A., Arede, A. and Dejong, M.J. (2015), "Discrete element modeling of a post-tensioned masonry arch", Proceedings of The Fifteenth International Conference On Civil, Structural And Environmental Engineering Computing, Prague, Czech Republic, September.
- Nakano, M., Citak, S.O. and Kalafat, D. (2015) "Focal mechanism determinations of earthquakes along the North Anatolian fault, beneath the Sea of Marmara and the Aegean Sea", Earth, Plan. Space J., 67, 159. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40623-015-0330-z
- National Research Council (1982), Conservation of Historic Stone Buildings and Monuments, The National Academies Press, Washington, DC.
- Polat, G., O zel, N.M. and Koulakov, I. (2016), "Investigating Pand S-wave velocity structure beneath the Marmara region (Turkey) and the surrounding area from local earthquake tomography", Earth, Plan. Space Earth, 68, 132. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40623-016-0503-4
- Pulatsu, B., Bretas, E.M. and Lourenco, P.B. (2016), "Discrete element modeling of masonry structures: Validation and application", Geomech. Eng., 11(4), 563-582.
- Quigley, M.C., Van Dissen, R., Litchfield, N., Villamor, P., Duffy, B. Barrell, D., Furlong, K., Stahl, T., Bilderback, E. and Noble, D. (2012), "Surface rupture during the 2010 Mw 7.1 Darfield (Canterbury) earthquake: implications for fault rupture dynamics and seismic-hazard analysis", Geology, 40, 5558.
- Sadan, O.B., Bal, I.E. and Smyrou, E. (2007), "Structural analysis of Istanbul Beyazit II Mosque retrofitted by Mimar Sinan, SHH'07", International Symposium on Studies on Historical Heritage, Antalya, Turkey.
- Safran, L. (1993) "Points of view: the theodosian obelisk base in context", Greek, Rom. Byzant. Stud., 34, 409-435.
- Sengor, A.M.C. and Yilmaz, Y. (1995), "Tethyan evolution of turkey: A plate tectonic approach", Tectonophys., 181-241.
- Taliercio, A. and Binda, L. (2007) "The Basilica of San Vitale in Ravenna: Investigation on the current structural faults and their mid-term evolution", J. Cult. Herit., 8, 99-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.culher.2006.09.005
- Vasconcelos, G. (2005), "Experimental Investigations on the mechanics of stone masonry: characterization of ancient granites and behavior of masonry shear walls", Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Minho.
- Waters, M.J. (2016), "Reviving antiquity with granite: Spolia and the development of Roman Renaissance architecture", Archit. Hist., 59, 149-179. https://doi.org/10.1017/arh.2016.5