- Volume 25 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Needs for Pregnancy and Postpartum Adaptation of Chinese Immigrant Women and Vietnamese Immigrant Women in South Korea
중국과 베트남 결혼이주여성의 임신과 산후적응 요구 비교
- Jeong, Geum Hee (Division of Nursing, Hallym University Chuncheon) ;
- Kim, Kyung Won (Department of Nursing, Daegu Haany University) ;
- Baik, Sunghee (Department of Nursing, Baekseok University)
- Received : 2018.10.31
- Accepted : 2018.12.28
- Published : 2019.03.20
Purpose: To identify needs for pregnancy and postpartum adaptation of Chinese immigrant women and Vietnamese immigrant women in South Korea. Methods: A descriptive research design was employed. Data were collected from 244 Chinese immigrant women and Vietnamese immigrant women from 3 provinces, 20 health care centers, and multi-cultural family support centers. Data were analyzed with descriptive statistics, t-test and ANOVA. Results: An average score for needs perceived by Chinese immigrant women was significantly higher than that perceived by Vietnamese immigrant women. There were significantly differences in physical and emotional adaptation after childbirth, nutrition during pregnancy, cross cultural understanding and personal respect, and adaptation daily activity during pregnancy between the 2 groups. The highest score of needs in Chinese immigrant women was for nutrition during pregnancy and that in Vietnamese immigrant women was for baby rearing and family support. Conclusion: Based on needs of pregnancy and postpartum adaption, nursing intervention program in consideration of cultural characteristics of Chinese immigrant women and Vietnam immigrant women need to be developed for their pregnancy and postpartum health care.
- Korea Immigration Service. Statistical yearbook of immigration and foreign policy in 2016. Gwacheon: Ministry of Justice; 2017. p. 1-2.
- Chung HS, Kim YS, Yi TM, Ma KH, Choi YJ, Park GP, et al. Report No. 2016-03. An analysis on the national survey of multicultural families 2015. Sejong: Ministry of Gender Equality and Family; 2016. p. 49-52, 218-220, 223-224.
- Population Trends of the Bureau of Social Statistics. Statistics on multi-cultural population dynamics in 2016 [Internet]. Daejeon: Statistics Korea; 2017 [cited 2018 Aug 24]. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr/assist/synap/preview/skin/doc.html?fn=synapview364679_2&rs=/assist/synap/preview.
- Kim HR, Yeo JY, Jung JJ, Bak SH. Health status of marriage immigrant women and children from multicultural families and health policy recommendations. Sejong: Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs; 2012. p. 131-137.
- Cho SS. Social integration of multicultural families and strengthening protection of marriage immigration [Internet]. Gwacheon: Ministry of Gender Equality and Family; 2016 [cited 2018 Sep 8]. Available from: https://www.dreamstart.go.kr/board/board_view.asp?boardtype=67&idx=105554&intpage=1&keyfield=&keyword.
- Park H, Park M, Chun Y. A study on education needs related to prenatal care programs in married immigrant women. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society. 2015;16(7):4632-4640. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.7.4632
- Kim EH, Lee E, Kim MJ, Park DY, Lee SH. Effects of an educational program of pregnancy and delivery on pregnancy related knowledge, newborn care knowledge, and postpartum care self-efficacy of marriage immigrant women. Korean Society of Nursing Science. 2010;40(1):78-87.
- Jeon MS, Kang KJ, Park SH. A study on pregnancy, delivery, and infant rearing knowledge and educational need of marriage immigrant women. Journal of Agricultural Medicine and Community Health. 2011;36(3):179-190. https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2011.36.3.179
- Kim SH. Pregnancy and childbirth experiences of Chinese marriage immigrant women. Journal of the Korean Society of Maternal and Child Health. 2012;16(2):170-185.
- Kim KW, Jeong GH. Development of a scale to assess immigrant women's needs for pregnancy and postpartum adaptation. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2013;19(4):242-253. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2013.19.4.242
- Roy SC, Andrews HA. The Roy adaptation model. 2nd ed. Stanford: Appleton & Lange; 1999.
- Kim Y, Kim Y. A need analysis of parental education for female marriage immigrants. Journal of Korean Education. 2011;38(1):55-81.
- Choi DH. A Study on the meaning of "becoming a mother" of Vietnamese migrant women. Journal of Diaspora Studies. 2015;9(2):233-256.
- Giger JN. Transcultural nursing assessment and intervention. 7th ed. St Louis: Elsevier; 2017. p. 394, 437-438.
- Kim HR, Bak SH, Jung HW, Lee YR, Kim AJ. Survey on dietary behaviors and needs for nutrition service, and developing contents of nutrition education for female immigrants in multi-cultural families in Korea. Sejong: Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs; 2011. p. 70, 86.
- So JS, Han SN. Diet-related behaviors, perception and food preferences of multicultural families with Vietnamese wives. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition. 2012;17(5):589-602. https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2012.17.5.589
- Oh EJ, Park JS, Kim YK, Lee HS. The meaning of pregnancy and childbirth experience of women in multicultural family. Journal of the Korean Society of Maternal and Child Health. 2013;17(2):256-269. https://doi.org/10.21896/JKSMCH.2013.17.2.256
- Kim HR. Health problems of multi-cultural families and policy task. Health and Welfare Issue & Focus. 2013;(185):1-8.
- Lim HS. The experience of health care in pregnancy and childbirth among married immigrant women in Korea. Journal of Qualitative Research. 2014;15(2):117-129. https://doi.org/10.22284/qr.2014.15.2.117
- Joo YJ. Research on the delivery of the marriage migrant women from Vietnam [master's thesis]. Seoul: Chung-Ang University; 2014. 87 p.
- Lee EJ, Jun MK. A study of Vietnamese immigrant women's 'adaptation experiences', within the sociocultural context of their home country. Journal of Korean Home Management Association. 2014;32(5):63-86. https://doi.org/10.7466/JKHMA.2014.32.5.63
- Du W, Cho J. A life history research on acculturation of Chinese marriage immigrant women in Korea. Journal of Women's Studies. 2017;27(1):109-141.
- Chong SW, Huang HY. A case study on the gender equality experience of Chinese married immigrant women in Korea. Asia-Pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology. 2018;8(2):657-666.