- Volume 23 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on the relationship among alcohol levels, and impact of event, occupational stress, and distress disclosure among fire officials
소방공무원의 음주수준과 사건충격, 직무스트레스, 자기노출 간의 관계 연구
Sim, Gyu-Sik;Kim, Yeon-Jung
- Received : 2019.03.12
- Accepted : 2019.04.14
- Published : 2019.04.30
Purpose: The aims of this study were to identify the relationships among alcohol level, impact of event, occupational stress, and distress disclosure and to determine the influences on alcohol level among fire officials. Methods: Participants in this cross-sectional, descriptive study were 241 fire officials. Data were collected from June 2018 to July 2018 using self-reported questionnaires and were analyzed using IBM SPSS 22.0 software (IBM, Armonk, NY, USA). Results: The results revealed significant positive relationships between alcohol level and impact of event, and impact of event and occupational stress, and a negative relationships between occupational stress and distress disclosure. Regression analysis revealed that alcohol level accounted for 9.2% of the variance by gender, and impact of event(e.g., sleep problems and emotional numbness). Conclusion: These findings provide information that can be used in the development of mental health promotion programs for fire officials.
Fire officials;Occupational stress;Alcohol level
- Lee NY, Ha YS. Post-traumatic stress experienced by firefighters and paramedics. Perspectives in Nursing Science 2012;9(2):83-93.
- Bang CH, Hong WS. A study on occupational stress for the injured firefighter: focusing on Gyeongbuk province. Fire Sci & Eng 2010;24(4):79-85.
- Oh JU, Ko MA, Song HR, Hong MH, Kim HS, Kim WJ. Factors affecting sleep quality of firefighters. Korean J Psychosom Med 2018;26(1):19-25.
- National Fire Agency. (2014). 2014 National fire service personnel psychological assessment questionnaire analysis. Available at: http://www.mpss.go.kr/home/news/notice/?boardId=bbs_0000000000000049&mode=view&cntId=62&category=&pageIdx=24
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2017). National Mental Health Statics Pilot Study Report.
- Kim YH, Ryu SI, Kwon SA, Lee JH, Hyeon SH, Lee MK. The effect of sports activities of public workers on stress : focusing on firefighters. Journal of Korean Public Police and Security Studies 2018;15(3):43-68.
- Jo SD, Park JB. The relationship between job stress and alcohol-use disorders among firemen. Journal of the Korean Society of Hazard Mitigation 2012;12(1):133-40.
- Levenson RW, Sher KJ, Grossman LM, Newman J, Newman DB. Alcohol and stress response dampening: pharmacological effects, expectancy, and tension reduction. J Abnorm Psychol 1980;89:528-38. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-843X.89.4.528
- Cox WM, Klinger E. A motivational model of alcohol use. J Abnorm Psychol 1988; 97:168-80. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-843X.97.2.168
- Moonat S, Starkman BG, Sakharkar A, Pandey SC. Neuroscience of alcoholism: molecular and cellular mechanisms. Cell Mol Life Sci 2010;67:73-88. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00018-009-0135-y https://doi.org/10.1007/s00018-009-0135-y
- Clark DB, Thatcher DL, Tapert SF. Alcohol, psychological dysregulation, and adolescent brain development. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2008;32:375-85. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1530-0277.2007.00601.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1530-0277.2007.00601.x
- Perry JL, Joseph JE, Jiang Y, Zimmerman RS, Kelly TH, Darna M, et al. Prefrontal cortex and drug abuse vulnerability: translation to prevention and treatment interventions. Brain Res Rev 2010;65(2):124-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brainresrev.2010.09.001
- Oh HJ, Beak HS, Chae JH, Ahn YS, Jeong KS, Park JE, et al. The relationship between alcohol consumption and Eexposure to traumatic events in male firefighters. Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatric Association 2011;50(4):316-22.
- Kang KH, Lee KS, Kim SI, Meng KH, Hong HS, Jeong CH. The relationship between alcohol use and job stress among firemen. Korean Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 2001;13(4):401-12.
- Jo SD, Park JB. The relationship between job stress and alcohol-use disorders among firemen. Journal of Korean Society of Hazard Mitigation 2012;12(1):133-40.
- Park JH. Effects of rumination and self-disclosure about the stressful life event on emotion. The Korean Journal of Health Psychology 2009;14(1):125-45. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2009.14.1.008
- Hahn DW, Park JH. Effects of rumination and self-disclosure about the stressful life event on well-being and health. The Korean Journal of Health Psychology 2005;10(2):183-209.
- Lee BW, Lee CH, Lee PG, Choi MJ, NG K. Development of korean version of alcohol use disorders identification test(AUDIT-K):Its Reliability and Validity. J Korean Academy of Addiction Psychiatry 2000;4(2):83-92.
- Weiss DS, Marmar CR. The impact of event scale-revised. In: Wilson JP, Keane TM, editors. Assessing psychological trauma and PTSD. New York:Guilford Press, 1997. 399-411.
- Eun HJ, Kwon TW, Lee SM, Kim TH, Choi MR, Cho SJ. A study on reliability and validity of the korean version of impact of event scale-revised. Journal of The Korean Neuropsychiatric Association 2005;44(3):303-10.
- Kim SR. The relationship of life satisfaction and job stress for firefighters: focus on the moderation effect of family resilience and social support. Unpublished doctoral dissertation. Seoul Women's University 2017, Seoul, Korea.
- Kahn JH, Hessling RM. Measuring the tendency to conceal versus disclose psychological distress. Journal of Social and Clinical Psycholog 2001;20:41-65. https://doi.org/10.1521/jscp.18.104.22.16854
- Shin YH. (2004). The relative importance of approach factors and avoidance factors in predicting professional help seeking behavior. Unpublished master thesis, Pusan National University 2004, Busan, Korea.
- Lee HS, Lim JH. SPSS 22 Manual. Seoul : Jibhyeonje, 2016.
- Berninger A, Webber MP, Cohen HW, Gustave J, Lee R, Niles JK, et al. Trends of elevated PTSD risk in firefighters exposed to the world trade center disaster: 2001-2005. Public Health Rep 2010;125(4):556-66. https://doi.org/10.1177/003335491012500411 https://doi.org/10.1177/003335491012500411
- Yook YS. The Effects of mindfulness based body-psychological exercise program on the reduction of post-traumatic stress(PTSD) symptoms in fire officials. Korean Journal of Sport Psychology 2018;29(4):57-73.
- Lee JS, Ahn YS, Jeong KS, Chae JH, Choi KS. Resilience buffers the impact of traumatic events on the development of PTSD symptoms in firefighters. J Affect Disord 2014;162:128-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2014.02.031 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2014.02.031
- Pfefferbaum B, North CS, Bunch K, Wilson TG, Tucker P, Schorr JK. The impact of the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing on the partners of firefighters. J Urban Health 2002;79(3):364-72. https://doi.org/10.1093/jurban/79.3.364 https://doi.org/10.1093/jurban/79.3.364
- Choi MG, Park JH. Effect of self-disclosure type on emotion, subjective well-being and health perception : focusing on the behavioral and integrated self-disclosure effects. The Korean Psychological Association Conference 2016. 212.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. The 2011 epidemiological survey of psychiatric disorders in Korea. Available at: http://www.prism.go.kr/homepage/theme/retrieveThemeDetail.do;jsessionid=8C0E78708F3DAB1DD75E9C6186430BE8.node02?cond_research_name=&cond_organ_id=&cond_research_year_start=&cond_research_year_end=&cond_brm_super_id=NB000120061201100060495&research_id=1351000-201100132&pageIndex=6&leftMenuLevel=110
Supported by : 나사렛대학교