- Volume 23 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A feasibility study of audio-video communication application using mobile telecommunication in inter-hospital transfer situations
병원 간 전원 상황에서 이동통신망을 이용한 음성화상정보통신 애플리케이션의 유용성에 관한 연구
Jeong, Joo;Kim, Tae-Han;Kang, Saee-Byel
- Received : 2019.03.09
- Accepted : 2019.04.14
- Published : 2019.04.30
Purpose: The aim of this study was to evaluate the usefulness of video communication with medical staff located at a remote location, through a communication application connected to a long term evolution (LTE) mobile communication network in a moving ambulance. Methods: In this study, we recruited patients who were transferred by mobile intensive care unit ambulance from one hospital to another. In the moving ambulance, the information of the patient was transferred to a physician using the application in real time. Recorded video files were evaluated by emergency physicians with experience in video direct medical control. Results: A total of 18 patients were evaluated, and the average score was 5.9 out of a possible 9. It was expected that applying the use of the technology to actual clinical sites would enable the sites to provide assistance. Conclusion: In this study, we confirmed the possibility of benefiting from the clinical field when using the video-audio communication application which is connected to the remote location in real time through the current LTE mobile communication network in the ambulance.
Telemedicine;Transportation of patients;Ambulances
- C. Crawford Mechem. Emergency Medical Services. In: Tintinalli JE, Stapczynski JS, Ma OJ, Yearly DM, Meckler GD, Cline DM. Tintinalli's emergency medicine A comprehensive study guide. 8th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2016. 1-2.
- National Fire Agency. The standard protocols for 119 emergency medical services providers.
- Manz D. Legislation, regulation, and ordinance. In: Cone DC, Brice JH, Dellbridge TR, Myers JB. Emergency medical services: clinical practice and system oversight. 2nd ed. WILEY, 2015. Volume 2. 36-7.
- Park SW, Cho SJ, Kim YI, Park MR, Min MG, Lee SH et al. Direct medical direction performed in an emergency medical information center. J Korean Soc Emerg Med 2011;22(1):9-15.
- Park KJ, Yun YH, Jeong J, Lee JH, Chung JY, Han SK et al. Efficacy and necessity of the certification program for emergency medical system directors on the actual on-line medical direction. J Korean Soc Emerg Med 2012;23(4):449-54.
- Jung SH, Jeong J, Chung JY, Yun YH, Lee JH. Communication for medical advices between prehospital providers and physician medical directors. J Korean Soc Emerg Med 2015;26(5):430-6. http://www.jksem.org/journal/view.php?number=1970
- Lee KW. Clinical analysis of direct medical oversight in a Korean metropolitan city. J Korean Soc Emerg Med 2017;28(4):362-73. http://www.jksem.org/journal/view.php?number=2156
- Amadi-Obi A, Gilligan P, Owens N, O'Donnell C. Telemedicine in pre-hospital care: a review of telemedicine applications in the pre-hospital environment. Int J Emerg Med 2014;7:29. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12245-014-0029-0 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12245-014-0029-0
- Kwak MJ, Kim JM, Shin IH, Shin SD, Song KJ, Suh GJ, Kim HC. Real-time medical control using a wireless audio-video transmission device in a pre-hospital emergency service in Korea. J Telemed Telecare 2009;15(8):404-8. https://doi.org/10.1258/jtt.2009.090504
- Kim C, Choi HJ, Moon H, Kim G, Lee C, Cho JS et al. Prehospital advanced cardiac life support by EMT with a smartphone-based direct medical control for nursing home cardiac arrest. Am J Emerg Med 2019;37(4):585-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajem.2018.06.031 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajem.2018.06.031
- Park YJ, Lee KW, Jeong J, Jang IW, Ahn KO, Ro YS et al. Effect of critical care transport on patients' survival after inter-hospital transport of critically ill patients. J Korean Soc Emerg Med 2017;28(1):1-16.
- Emergency medical service act (Enforcement date 25. Apr, 2018.)(Act No. 14927, 24. Oct, 2017, Partial amendment)
- Act on 119 rescue and emergency medical services (Enforcement date 27. Jun, 2018.) (Act No. 15298, 26. Dec. 2017, Partial amendment)
- Cho SJ, Kwon IH, Jeong J. Application of Telemedicine system to prehospital medical control. Healthcare Inform Res 2015;21(3):196-200. https://doi.org/10.4258/hir.2015.21.3.196
Grant : 긴급 재난현장 대응 구급장비 패키지 기술개발
Supported by : 소방청