- Volume 23 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A survey on job stress, ego-resilience and incident impact on firefighters
소방공무원의 직무스트레스, 자아탄력성 및 사건충격 정도 실태 조사
Cha, Jin-Gyung;Choi, Uk-Jin;Bang, Sung-Hwan
- Received : 2019.03.13
- Accepted : 2019.04.14
- Published : 2019.04.30
Purpose: This study was conducted to analyze job stress, ego-resilience, and results of the impact of event scale in order to verify the actual job stress of firefighters and provide baseline data for developing resolution programs. Methods: Data were collected via e-mail from 270 firefighters working at 119 safety centers and firehouses in the regions of Gyeonggi, Chungcheong, Busan, and Gyeongsang-do between the
Firefighters;Job stress;Ego-resilience;Impact of event
- Moon YS. The level and job-related provoking factors of firefighter's stress. KALGS 2011;15(1):119-41.
- Kim TW, Kim KS, Ahn YS. Relationship between Job stress and depressive symptoms among field firefighters. Korean J Occup Environ Med 2010;22(4):378-87.
- Yu JH, Park KH. Psycho-social variables related to PTSD symptoms in fire-fighters: focusing on depression, anxiety, coping style, and social support. J Korean Acad Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 2009;21(4):282-91.
- Ministry of government legislation. Framework act on fire-fighting services, Article 1, Act No.15532, March 27, 2018.
- Alexander DA, Klein S, Ambulance personnel and critical incidence: Impact of accident and emergency work on mental health and emotional well-being. Bri J Psychiaty 2001;178(1):76-81. PMID: 11136215 https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.178.1.76
- Park E, Kim MD, Son YJ, Song HJ, Hong SC. The Prevalence of depression and related factors among adults. J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs 2009;20(3):277-84.
- Choi JW, Cho JJ, Chang HM, Kim CW, Paek YJ, Song HJ et al. Association between depression and cardiovascular risk factors in workers undergoing comprehensive medical examination in a university based hospital. Korean J Fam Med 2008;29(9):645-50. https://www.kjfm.or.kr/journal/view.php?number=224
- Kwon JS, Nam KK, Bahk WM, Shin MS, Yu BH, Yoon JS et al. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. Seoul: Hakjisa, 2016.
- Sin SW. Comparison of post traumatic stress disorder according to organizational characteristics among police officers. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association 2012;12(9):211-6. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.09.211
- Yi H, Moon HS, Shin M. The influence of workplace violence on anger and post traumatic stress disorder among nurses. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing 2013;22(3): 240-8. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2013.22.3.240 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2013.22.3.240
- The epidemiological survey of mental disorders in Korea. Research and Service Report. Ministry of Health and Welfare 2011;71(5):46.
- Lee SJ. Influence of self-compassion and calling in the relationship between firefighters' experience of traumatic events and post-traumatic stress disorder. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University 2014, Seoul, Korea.
- Kwon HR, Joo JJ. Validation of police officer Ego-resilience scales & measurement. KAPSR 2017;19(4)245-73.
- Bonanno GA, Westphal M, Mancini AD, Ego-resilience to loss and potential trauma, Annual Review of Clinical Psychology 2011;7:511-35. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-clinpsy-032210-104526 https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-clinpsy-032210-104526
- Rogehr C, Hill J, Knott T, Sault B. Social support, self-efficacy and trauma in new recruits and experienced fire fighters. Stress & Health 2003;19(4):189-93. https://doi.org/10.1002/smi.974 https://doi.org/10.1002/smi.974
- Song YS. The relationship between fire-fighter's ego-resilience and PTSD. Fire Sci & Eng 2017;31(3):119-26. https://doi.org/10.7731/KIFSE.2017.31.3.119
- Kim SR, Kim RK. Analysis of trend of posttraumatic stress disorder(PTSD) in Gyeonggi area. AJMAHS 2018;8(7):523-31. https://doi.org/10.21742/AJMAHS.2018.07.08
- Block J, Block JH. The role of ego-control and ego-resiliency in the organization of behavior. In Collins WA, Minnesota Symposia on Child Psychology 1980;13:39-101.
- Klohnen, EC. Conceptual analysis and measurement of the construct of ego-resiliency. J Pers Soc Psychol 1996;70(5):1067-79. PMID: 8656335 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1997
- Park HJ. Perceived stress due to ego-resilience, coping and depression. Unpublished master's thesis, Korea University 1996, Seoul, Korea.
- Seo KH, Choi I. Job stressors, hardiness, ego-resilience, and stress responses among geriatric caregivers. KJHP 2010;15(2):309-26.
- Horowitz, M, Winer N, Alvarez W. Impact of event scale: A measure of subject stress. Psychosom Mes 1979;41:209-18. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006842-197905000-00004
- Weiss DS, Marmar CR. The impact of event scale-revised. In J. Wilson & T. M. Keane (Eds.), Assessing psychological trauma and PTSD New York: Guilford, 1996. 399-411.
- Eun HJ, Kwon TW, Lee SM, Kim TH, Choi MR, Cho SJ. A Study on reliability and validity of the Korean version of impact of event scale-revised. J Korean Neuropsychiatr Assoc 2005;44(3):303-10.
- Kim YJ, Kim JH, Shim GS. The relationship among job stress, emotional labor, ego-resilience and mental health in firefighters. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society 2017;8(12):379-89. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.12.379
- Choi MS, Ji DH, Kim JW. Job stress level and It's related factors in firefighters. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society 2012;13(10):4917-26. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.10.4917 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.10.4917
- Kim YK, Ahn YS, Kim KS, Yoon JH, Roh JH. Association between job stress and occupational injuries among Korean firefighters: A nationwide cross-sectional study. BMJ Open 2016;6(11):1202.10.1136/bmjopen-2016-012002
- Lee JY, Kim SW, Hong JE, Kim SY, Kim JM, Shin IS et al. The effects of male firefighters' ego-resilience and personality on perceived stress. JKSBTP 2016;22(3):209-17.
- Hsieh HF, Hung YT, Wang HH, Ma SC, Chang SC. Factors of ego-resilience in emergency department nurses who have experienced workplace violence in Taiwan. J Nurs Scholarship 2016;48(1):23-30. https://doi.org/10.1111/jnu.12177 https://doi.org/10.1111/jnu.12177
- Oh JH, Lim NY. Analysis of factors influencing secondary traumatic stress, burnout, and physical symptoms in firefighters. J Korean Acad Funda Nurs 2006;13(1):96-106. http://www.koreascience.or.kr/article/JAKO200634718183149.page
- Fullerton CS, MacCarroll JE, Ursano RJ, Wright KM. Psychological responses of rescue workers: firefighters and trauma. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry 1992;62(3):371-8. PMID: 1497102 https://doi.org/10.1037/h0079363
- Yoon YS. A study on the effects of post traumatic stress disorder and impact on event on the mental health of fire fighters. Unpublished master's thesis, Gwangju University 2008, Gwangju, Korea.
- Ryu SI, Kwon S. The effect of public sector workers' emotional work on job stress-focusing on the firefighters. Korean Journal of Convergence Science 2018;7(3):153-67. https://doi.org/10.24826/KSCS.7.3.153
- Oh JU, Ko MA, Song HR, Hong MH, Kim HS, Kim WJ, Factors affecting sleep quality of firefighters. KJPM 2018;26(1):19-25. https://doi.org/10.22722/KJPM.2018.26.1.19
- Kang GS, Choi JW. A study of the improvement plan and real condition estimation of fire protection safety management for power plants in Korea. Fire Sci & Eng 2017;31(2):61-73. https://doi.org/10.7731/KIFSE.2017.31.2.061