- Volume 24 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Observation on the Seabed around Simheungteak Seamount near Dokdo and using Mini-ROV
소형 ROV를 활용한 독도 및 심흥택해산 해저면 탐사
MIN, WON-GI;RHO, HYUN SOO;KIM, CHANG HWAN;PARK, CHAN HONG;KIM, DONGSUNG
- Received : 2017.07.05
- Accepted : 2019.01.24
- Published : 2019.02.28
ROV surveys were conducted using 500 meter mini class ROV with HD video camera, 2 LED lights, a simple manipulator and 8 thrusters near the Dokdo and Simheungtaek seamount. Total six dives have been conducted using the ROV "V8 SII" from Sweden and ROV's support ship, "KOSAL V" at 4 stations between 45 and 370 meters with diving time ranged from 30 to 120 minutes. Dense communities of sea anemone (Actinostolidae sp.) and ophiuroids (Ophiuridae sp.) on the surface of rocky bottom and snow crab on the soft bottom with muddy-sand were observed at northwestern part of Simheungtaek seamount. We obtained the following results 1) habitats information for snow crab, one of the major fisheries resources, and deep-sea fauna, 2) observation on the specific topography and sediment conditions, 3) observation of the seabed surface covered with the discarded fishing gears. This study represents the first report of in situ visual observation of deep-sea organisms and their habitats near the Dokdo slopes and flat top of the Simheungtaek seamount in the East Sea. These results indicated that immediate oceanographic survey using the mini class ROV is available in the East Sea.
- National Research Council, 1996. Undersea Vehicles and National Needs. The National Academies Press, Washington, 116 pp.
- National Research Council, 2003. Exploration of the Seas: Voyage into the Unknown. The National Academies Press, Washington, 228 pp.
- National Research Council, 2004. Future Needs in Deep Submergence Science: Occupied and Unoccupied Vehicles in Basic Ocean Research. National Academies Press, Washington, 152 pp.
- NFRDI (National Fisheries Research and Development Institute), 2001. Oceanographic handbook of the neighbouring seas of Korea (4th). National Fisheries Research and Development Institute, 436 pp.
- Park, H.H., E.C. Jeong, B.S. Bae, Y.S. Yang, S.J. Hwang, J.H. Park, Y.S. Kim, S.I. Lee and S.H. Choi, 2007. Fishing investigation and species composition of the catches caught by a bottom trawl in the deep East Sea. 43(3): 183-191. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2007.43.3.183
- Nam, S.R. and Y.B. Kim, 2013. East Sea, Asking the future of Sea. Korean Studies Information, 127 pp.
- Sohn, M.H., H.W. LEE, B.K. Hong and Y.Y. Chun, 2010. Seasonal variation of species composition by depths in deep sea ecosystem of the East Sea of Korea. J. Kor. Soc. Fish Tech., 46(4): 376-391. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2010.46.4.376
- Walsh, D., 1990. Thirty thousand feet and thirty years later: Some thoughts on the deepest presence concept. Mar. Tech. Soc. J., 24(2): 7-8.
- Lee, P.M., B.H, Jun, H. Baek, B.H. Kim, H.W. Shim, J.Y. Park, S.Y. Yoo, W.Y. Jeong, S.H. Baek and W.S. Kim, 2016. Explorations of Hydrothermal Vents in the Southern Mariana Arc Submarine Volcanoes using the ROV Hemire. Journal of Korean Society of Ocean Engineers, 30(5), pp. 389-399.
- Lee, P.M. and Y.W. Seo, 2006. Development of the 6000 m class deep-sea unmanned submersible "HEMIRE" and "HENUBI" system. World of Electricity, 55(3): 20-24.
- Lutz, R.A. and P.G. Falkowski, 2012. Ocean science: A dive to Challenger Deep. Science 336: 301-302. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1222641
- MEST (Ministry of Education, Science and Technology), 2009. East Sea / Dokdo Marine Science Program. Misnistry of education, science and technology, 132 pp.
- MLTM (Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs), 2012. Development of an advanced deep-sea unmanned underwater vehicle. phase II. Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs, 670 pp.
- MOF (Misnistry of Oceans and Fisheries), 2014a. Development project of deep sea manned submersibles. Misnistry of oceans and fisheries, 715 pp.
- MOF (Misnistry of Oceans and Fisheries), 2014b. Development of overseas marine bioresources and a system for their utilization. Misnistry of oceans and fisheries, 341 pp.
- Min, W.G., J.U. Kim, W.S. Kim, D.S. Kim, P.M. Lee and J.H. Kang, 2016. Deep-sea floor exploration in the East Sea using ROV HEMIRE, J. of the Korea Academia-Industrial, 17(4): 222-230.
- Monastersky, R., 2012. Dive Master: The US flagship submersible Alvin is getting a partial upgrade. But deep-sea exploration faces some rough water. Nature, 489: 194-196. https://doi.org/10.1038/489194a
- Choi, H.T., P.M. Lee, C.M. Lee, B.H. Jun, J.H. Li, K.H. Kim and S.C. Ryu, 2007. Development of a Deep-sea ROV, Hemire and its sea trial. The Institute of Electronics Engineers of Korea - System and Control, 44(3): 70-76.
- Deep-Sea Biology Society, 2015. 14th deep-sea biology symposium: abstract book. Universidade de Aveiro, 367 pp.
- Fujikura, K., T. Okutani and T. Maruyama, 2008. Deep-Sea Life - Biological Observations Using Research Submersibles. Tokai University Press, 487 pp.
- Hammond, A.L., 1975. Project FAMOUS: Exploring the Mid-Atlantic Ridge Science. Science, 187: 823-825. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.187.4179.823
- Herring, P. 2002. The Biology of the Deep Ocean. Oxford University Press, 314 pp.
- Hessler, R.R. and W.M. Smithey Jr., 1983. The distribution and community structure of megafauna at the Galapagos Rift hydrothermal vents. In Rona, P.A., Bostrom, L. Laubier and K.L. Smith, Jr. (eds) Hydrothermal processes at Seafloor spreading centers, Plenum Press, New York, pp. 735-770.
- Jin, S.J., S.Y. Lim, S.H. Park and S.H. Yoo, 2014. Measuring the Scientific Benefits from the Deep-sea Human-operated Vehicle Project: A Choice Experiment Study, Ocean and Polar Res., 36(3): 277-288. https://doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2014.36.3.277
- Kim, W.S., 2007. Endless scientific survey for mystery underwater world. Science and Technology, 7: 69-73.
- Lee, P.M., 2007. Discovering the 30000 Leagues, under the sea - Mystery world, Science and Technology, 7: 74-79.
- Yoo, H.S., 2007. Treasure ship Dmitri Donskoi in Ulleung island. Jisungsa, 104 pp.
Grant : 독도의 지속 가능한 이용연구, 한국 주변 해양생태계 변동 이해 및 대응 기반 연구
Supported by : 해양수산부, 한국해양과학기술원