- Volume 28 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Impact of Parameters of Nonlinear Breach Progression Curve on Outflow Rate
저수지 붕괴함수의 매개변수 결정이 유량과 침수범위에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Khil-Ha (Department of Civil Engineering, Daegu University)
- 이길하 (대구대학교 토목공학과)
- Received : 2018.11.26
- Accepted : 2018.01.12
- Published : 2019.02.28
A Numerical modeling approach is usually applied to reproduce the physical phenomena of a fill dam-break. The accuracy of the dam-break model depends on the physical structure that defines input variables such as the storage volume, breach formation and progress, and the parameters of the model, which are subjective as they are prescribed by users. In this study, a sensitivity analysis was performed for the nonlinear breach progression curve that was already developed, which includes four parameters. The study focuses on the two of the parameters which control the breach forming time and peak discharge. The model is coupled with a two-dimensional flood simulation model (FLO-2D) to examine flood coverage and depth. It is generally observed that the parameter
Supported by : 대구대학교
- ASCE/EWRI Task Committee on Dam/Levee Breaching, 2011, Earthen Embankment Breaching, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering-ASCE, 137, 1549-1564. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)HY.1943-7900.0000498
- Costa, J. E., 1988, Floods from dam failures, in Flood Geomorphology, edited by Baker, V. R., Kochel, R. C., and Patton. P. C., John, Wiley, New York, 439-463.
- Costa, J. E., Schuster, R. L., 1988, The formation and failure of natural dams, Geological Society of American Bulletin, 100, 1054-1068. https://doi.org/10.1130/0016-7606(1988)100<1054:TFAFON>2.3.CO;2
- Duan, Q.Y., Gupta, V. K., Sorooshian, S., 1993, Shuffled Complex Evolution approach for effective and efficient global minimization, J. of Optimization Theory and Applications, 76, 501-521. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00939380
- Duan, Q. Y., Sorooshian, S., Gupta, V. K., 1994, Optimal use of the SCE-UA global optimization method for calibrating watershed models, Journal of Hydrology, 158, 265-284. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1694(94)90057-4
- Evans, S. G., 1986, The maximum discharge of outburst floods caused by the breaching of man-made and natural dams, Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 23, 385-387. https://doi.org/10.1139/t86-053
- Fread, D. L., 1989, National Weather Service models to forecast dam-breach floods, in Hydrology of disasters, edited by Starosolszky, O., and Melder., O. M., James and James, London, 192-211.
- French, R. H., 1986, Open Channel Hydraulics. McGraw-Hill Book Company, 339-343.
- O'Connor, J. E., 1993, Hydrology, hydraulics, and geomorphology of the Bonneville flood. Geological Society of America Special Paper, 274-279.
- Peng, M., Zhang, L. M., 2012, Analysis of human risks due to dam break floods-part 2: Application to Tangjiashan Landslid Dam failure, Natural Hazards, 64, 1899-1923. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11069-012-0336-9
- Singh, V. P., Scarlatos, P. D., Collins, J. G., Jourdan, M. R., 1988, Breach Erosion of Earthfill Dams (BEED) model, Natural Hazards, 1, 161-180. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00126613
- Verhulst, P. F., 1845, Mathematical researches into the law of population growth increase, Nouveaux Memoires de l'Academie Royale des Sciences et Belles-Lettres de Bruxelles, 18, 1-42 (Retrieved Feb 18, 2013).
- Wahl, T. L., 1998, Prediction of embankment dam breach parameters-A literal review and need assessment, Dam Safety Report No. DSO-98-004, U. S. Dept. of the Interior, Bureau of Reclamation, Denver, USA.
- Wahl, T. L., 2004, Uncertainty of predictions of embankment dam breach parameters, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering-ASCE, 130(5), 389-397. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(2004)130:5(389)
- Wahl, T. L., Hanson, G. J., Courivaud, J. R., Morris, M. W., Kahawita, R., McClenathan, J. T., Gee, D. M., 2008, Development of next-generration embankment dam breach models, Proc., 28th Annual United States Society on Dams(USSD) Conf., Denver, 767-779.
- Walder, J. S., O'Connor, J. E., 1997, Methods for predicting peak discharge of floods caused by failure of natural and constructed earthen dams, Water Resources Research, 33(10), 2337-2348. https://doi.org/10.1029/97WR01616
- Waythomas, C. F., Walder, J. S., McGimsey, R. G., Neal, C. A., 1996, A Catastrophic flood caused by drainage of a caldera lake at Aniackak Volcano, Alalska, and implications for volcanic hazards assessment, Geological Society of American Bulletin, 108(7), 861-871. https://doi.org/10.1130/0016-7606(1996)108<0861:ACFCBD>2.3.CO;2