- Volume 28 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Identification of Biogas Production by Bio Methane Potential (BMP) Test During the Anaerobic Digestion Process of Organic Wastewater from Polyester Manufacturing Processes
- Shin, Choon-Hwan (Department of Energy & Environmental Engineering, Dongseo University) ;
- Bae, Jun-Seok (Division of Earth Science and Resource Engineering, CSIRO)
- Received : 2018.11.08
- Accepted : 2019.02.22
- Published : 2019.02.28
Organic wastewater generated from polyester manufacturing processes was selected from H company to investigate the feasibility of anaerobic digestion that produces gases including methane. Bio Methane Potential (BMP) tests were conducted to measure the gas production and methane concentration for 7 process wastewater and 2 kinds of sludges from the H company. Also, along with monitoring pH and alkalinity during the anaerobic digestion process, the concentrations of COD and 1,4-dioxane were measured with 4 different operating conditions for N Emulsion (NE) and Ethylene Glycol (EG) wastewater. The BMP tests showed that 65% of methane was produced from NE and EG wastewater. This suggests that the organic wastewater from H company can be effectively treated by an anaerobic digester by which more than 90% of COD was removed.
Anaerobic digestion;Biogas;Organic wastewater;BMP
Supported by : Dongseo University
- Anjum, R., Grohmann, E., Krakat, N., 2017, Anaerobic digestion of nitrogen rich poultry manure: Impact of thermophilic biogas process on metal release and microbial resistances. Chemosphere, 168, 1637-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2016.11.132
- Antwi, P., Li, J., Boadi, P. O., Meng, J., Shi, E., Deng, K., 2017, Estimation of biogas and methane yields in an UASB treating potato starch processing wastewater with back propagation artificial natural network. Bioresour Technol , 228, 106-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2016.12.045
- APAH, A., 1998, Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater, 20.
- Burback, B. L., Perry, J. J., 1993, Biodegradation and biotransformation of groundwater pollutant mixtures by Mycobacterium vaccae. Appl Environ Microbiol, 59, 1025-9.
- Cho, J., Lee, J., Park, S., Chang, H., 1993, Evaluation of biochemical methane potential of typical Korean food wastes. J.of Kor. Solid. Wastes. Engin. Soc., 10, 211-217.
- Dague, R., Habben, C., Pidaparti, S., 1992, Initial studies on the anaerobic sequencing batch reactor. Water Science and Technology, 26, 2429-2432. https://doi.org/10.2166/wst.1992.0754
- Han, J., So, M., Kim, C., 2008, Assessment of 1, 4-Dioxane removal in polyester wastewater by activated sludge and its microbial property by 16S rDNA. Journal of Korean Society of Environmental Engineers, 30, 393-400.
- Heo, N., Chung, S., 2005, High-rate Anaerobic Co-digestion of Food Waste and Sewage Sludge. Journal of the Korean society for New and Renewable Energy ,1, 60-72.
- Jeong, T., Cha, G., Choi, S. S., Jeon, C., 2007, Evaluation of methane production by the thermal pretreatment of waste activated sludge in an anaerobic digester. Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, 13, 856-63.
- Jeong, T. C., Cha, G. S., Seo, Y. S., Jeon, C. K., Choi, S. S., 2008, Effect of COD/sulfate ratios on batch anaerobic digestion using waste activated sludge. Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, 14, 6937-6947.
- Kang, B. S., Hwang, H. K., Kim, J. H., Yang, Y. G., Kim, Y. J., 2011, Study on Reutilization with Aerobic Microbes of Organic Food Waste Leachates. Journal of Korean Society of Environmental Engineers, 33, 54-59. https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2011.33.1.054
- Kaparaju, P., Ellegaard, L., Angelidaki, I., 2009, Optimisation of biogas production from manure through serial digestion: Lab-scale and pilot-scale studies. Bioresour Technol, 100, 701-709. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2008.07.023
- Lee, J., Park, J., Byun, I., Park, T., Lee, T., 2014, Anaerobic digestion of organic wastewater from chemical fiber manufacturing plant: lab and pilot-scale experiments. Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, 20, 1732-1736. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiec.2013.08.024
- Maragkaki, A., Fountoulakis, M., Gypakis, A., Kyriakou, A., Lasaridi, K., Manios, T., 2017, Pilot-scale anaerobic co-digestion of sewage sludge with agro-industrial by-products for increased biogas production of existing digesters at wastewater treatment plants. Waste Manage, 59, 362-370. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2016.10.043
- Mohan, S. V., Babu, V. L., Bhaskar, Y. V., Sarma, P., 2007, Influence of recirculation on the performance of anaerobic sequencing batch biofilm reactor (AnSBBR) treating hypersaline composite chemical wastewater. Bioresour Technol, 98, 1373-1379. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2006.05.036
- Parales, R. E., Adamus, J. E., White, N., May, H. D., 1994, Degradation of 1,4-dioxane by an actinomycete in pure culture. Appl Environ Microbio, 60, 4527-4530.
- Safarzadeh-Amiri, A., Bolton, J. R., Cater, S. R., 1997, Ferrioxalate-mediated photodegradation of organic pollutants in contaminated water. Water Res, 31, 787-798. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(96)00373-9
- Siman, R. R., Borges, A. C., Ratusznei, S. M., Rodrigues, J. A., Zaiat, M., Foresti, E., 2004, Influence of organic loading on an anaerobic sequencing biofilm batch reactor (ASBBR) as a function of cycle period and wastewater concentration. J Environ Manage, 72, 241-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2004.05.004
- Stefan, M. I., Bolton, J. R., 1994, Mechanism of the degradation of 1, 4-dioxane in dilute aqueous solution using the UV/hydrogen peroxide process. Environ Sci Technol ,32, 1588-1595.
- Wang, Y., Pleasant, S., Jain, P., Powell, J., Townsend, T., 2016, Calcium carbonate-based permeable reactive barriers for iron and manganese groundwater remediation at landfills. Waste Manage, 53, 128-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2016.02.018
- Woo, M. N., Han, G. A., 2010, study on the sludge reduction and biogas production through a two-phase anaerobic digestion process. Journal of Korean Society of Environmental Engineers, 32, 894-899.
- Ziganshina, E. E., Ibragimov, E. M., Vankov, P. Y., Miluykov, V. A., Ziganshin, A. M., 2017, Comparison of anaerobic digestion strategies of nitrogen-rich substrates: performance of anaerobic reactors and microbial community diversity. Waste Manage, 59, 160-171. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2016.10.038