- Volume 27 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Organic Cucumber Productivity Affected by Long-term Application with Homemade Liquid Fertilizers
자가제조액비 장기연용 처리가 유기 오이의 생산성에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2019.01.17
- Accepted : 2019.02.15
- Published : 2019.02.28
The study was initiated to compare crop productivity as affected by a long-term application with homemade liquid fertilizers in leading organic cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) farms in Suncheon and Kimcheon provinces. A Suncheon farm have applied an EM (effective organism) liquid fertilizer for one year and fifteen years, designating as EM 1-year and EM 15-year plots, respectively, with 4-year and 5-year application of native microbes-liquid fertilizer in Kimcheon farm, designating as Micro 4-year and Micro 5-year plots, respectively. pH in the EM-liquid fertilizer was high to approximately 7.7, and EC in the Micro-liquid fertilizer was 0.1 dS/m higher than those of EM-liquid fertilizer, with similar macro-nutrient concentrations observed in the both liquid fertilizers. Soil EC was the highest to the 10.0 dS/m for the liquid fertilizer with EM 1-year and showed less than 1.5 dS/m for other liquid fertilizer plots. Micro-liquid fertilizer plots had soil OM contents less than 20 g/kg, which was approximately two times less than those of EM plots. Soil microbial properties were not significantly different among the liquid fertilizer plots. SPAD and PS II values were significantly increased by EM 15-year plots with high levels of soil OM and EC. Liquid fertilizer plot with EM 1-year had high concentrations of T-N, Ca, and Na in the cucumber crops but low concentrations of P and Mg, in particular for low K of 1.2% which was two times less than those of desired level for an optimum cucumber growth. The lowest fruit yield was observed for the liquid fertilizer plot with EM 1-year with the highest soil EC accumulated. Liquid fertilizer plot with EM 15-year produced the expanded volume of crop canopy and increased fruit yield. Therefore, long-term of continuous application with an organic liquid fertilizer would have sustainably improved soil stability and the crop productivity.
Grant : 자가 제조 유기농업자재 평가 및 활용기술 개발
Supported by : 농촌진흥청, 대구가톨릭대학교
- An, N. H., J. H. Ok, J. R. Cho, J. H. Shin, H. S. Nam, and S. C. Kim. 2015. Effects of organic matter application on soil microbial community in a newly reclaimed soil. Korean J. Org. Agric. 23: 767-779. https://doi.org/10.11625/KJOA.2015.23.4.767
- An, N. H., J. R. Cho, J. S. Gu, Y. K. Kim, and E. J. Han. 2017. Effect of fish meal liquid fertilizer application on soil characteristics and growth of cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) for organic culture. J. Korea Org. Resour. Recycl. Assoc. 25: 13-21.
- Havlin, J. L., J. D. Beaton, S. L. Tisdale, and W. L. Nelson. 2004. Soil fertility and fertilizers. Person Education Ltd., USA. pp. 1-515.
- Jeong, S. J., M. Y. Cho, W. Y. Seok, S. L. Lee, H. J. Lee, and J. S. Oh. 2011. Effects of organic materials, chitosan, wood vinegar, and EM active solution on soil microbial and growth in Chinese cabbage. J. Life Sci. 21: 584-588. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2011.21.4.584
- KMA. 2018. Weather information. Korea Meterological Adminstration, Korea (https://data.kma.go.kr/stcs/grnd/grndRnList.do?pgmNo=69).
- KREI. 2018. 2018 Agricultural outlook. Korea Economic Institute, Korea (http://library.krei.re.kr/pyxis-api/1/digital-files/66306611-d1b4-4144-875b-885204a3ae2c).
- Lalande, R., B. Gagnon, R. R. Simard, and D. Cote. 2000. Soil microbial biomass and enzyme activity following liquid hog manure application in a long-term field trial. Can. J. Soil Sci. 80: 263-269. https://doi.org/10.4141/S99-064
- Lee, C. H., T. J. Lim, S. S. Kang, M. S. Kim, and Y. H. Kim. 2012. Relationship between cucumber yield and nitrate concentration in plastic film house with ryegrass application. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 45: 943-948. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2012.45.6.943
- Lee, C. R., S. G. Hong, S. B. Lee, C. B. Park, M. G. Kim, J. H. Kim, and K. L. Park. 2015. Physico-chemical properties of organically cultivated upland soils. Korean J. Org. Agric. 23: 875-886. https://doi.org/10.11625/KJOA.2015.23.4.875
- Lee, J. Y., J. K. Sugn, S. Y. Lee, B. C. Jang, R. Y. Kim, and S. S. Kang. 2011. Macro and micro nutrient contents in leaves of greenhouse-grown cucumber by growth stages. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 44: 215-220. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2011.44.2.215
- Papadopopoulos, I. 1986. Nitrogen fertigation of greenhouse-grown cucumber. Plant and Soil 93: 87-93. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02377148
- Park, J. M., T. J. Lim, S. E. Lee, and I. B. Lee. 2011. Effect of pig slurry fertigation on soil chemical properties and growth and development of cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.). Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 44: 194-199. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2011.44.2.194
- Park, J. S., M. J. Lee, S. Y. Lee, J. S. Kim, T. K. Lee, H. M. Ro, S. J. Kim, S. W. Jeon, S. G. Seo, K. Y. Kim, G. H. Lee, and B. G. Jeong. 2015. Effect of mixed liquid fertilization on growth responses of cherry tomatoes and soil chemical properties. Hortic. Sci. Technol. 33: 268-275.
- Park, Y. E., T. J. Lim, J. M. Park, and S. E. Lee. 2018. Long-term effects of chemical fertilizer and compost applications on yield of red pepper and soil chemical properties. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 51: 111-118.
- RDA. 2017. Cucumber. ISBN:978-89-480-5002-8 94520. Rural Development Administration, Korea. pp. 1-244.