- Volume 28 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
First Utilization Record of Bat Box for Bat Conservation in Korea
박쥐 보호를 위한 인공 박쥐집 이용 국내 첫 사례 보고
- Jeon, Young Shin (Department of Life Science, Dongguk University) ;
- Kim, Sung Chul (Department of Life Science, Dongguk University) ;
- Han, Sang Hoon (Wildlife Institute of Korea) ;
- Chung, Chul Un (Department of Life Science, Dongguk University)
- Received : 2018.11.05
- Accepted : 2018.12.14
- Published : 2019.01.31
In order to collect base line data for setting up bat boxes, we established a total of 30 bat boxes in 2017. The bat boxes were established on the sidewalls of overpass and on the inside of girder bridges. Since establishing bat boxes, we regularly confirmed whether or not they were used; in June 2018, we confirmed that a total of six bat boxes were being used by Pipistrellus abramus and Myotis aurascens. It was confirmed that P. abramus used one bat box each out of five bat boxes, and that many adult females of M. aurascens used a single bat box as a place for maternity roosts. This result is the first use case for setting up bat boxes across the country, and could be used as baseline data to build roosts for bats by setting up additional bat boxes in the future.
- Adam, M. D., Hayes, J. P., 2000, Use of bridges as night roosts by bats in the Oregon Coast Range, J. Mammal., 81, 402-407. https://doi.org/10.1644/1545-1542(2000)081<0402:UOBANR>2.0.CO;2
- Baranauskas, K., 2007, Bats (Chiroptera) found in bat boxes in Southeastern Lithuania, Ekologija, 53, 34-37.
- Bartonicka, T., Rehak, Z., 2007, Influence of the microclimate of bat boxes on their occupation by the soprano pipistrelle Pipistrellus pygmaeus: possible cause of roost swiching. Acta Chiropterologica, 9, 517-526. https://doi.org/10.3161/1733-5329(2007)9[517:IOTMOB]2.0.CO;2
- Brittingham, M., Williams, L. M., 2000, Bat-boxes as alternative roosts for displaced bat maternity colonies, Wildl. Soc. Bull., 28, 197-207.
- Chung, C. U., Han, S. H., Lee, C. I., 2009, Use of bridges as roosting site by bats (Chiroptera), Kor. J. Env. Ecol., 23, 294-301.
- Flaquer, C., Torre, I., Ruiz-Jarillo, R., 2006, The value of bat-boxes in the conservation of Pipistrellus pygmaeus in wetland rice paddies, Biol. Conserv., 128, 223-230. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocon.2005.09.030
- Kervyn, T., Lobois, R. 2008, The diet of the serotine bat, A Comparison between rural and urban environments, Bel. J. Zool., 138, 41-49.
- Kunz, T. H., Braun de Torrez, E., Bauer, D., Lovova, T., Fleming, T. H., 2011, Ecosystem services provided by bats, Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sic., 1223, 1-38. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-6632.2011.06004.x
- Lourenco, S. I., Palmeirim, J. M., 2004, Influence of temperature in roost selection by Pipistrellus pygmaeus (Chiroptera): relevance for design of bat-boxes, Biol. Conserv., 119, 237-243. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocon.2003.11.006
- Mitchell-Jones, A. J., 1999, Conserving and creating bat roosts, In: Mitchell-Jones, A. J., Mcleish, A. P. (eds.), The Bat Workers' Manual, Joint Nature Conservation Committee Press, Peterborough, 85-104.