- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Design Method for Negative Group Delay Circuits Based on Relations among Signal Attenuation, Group Delay, and Bandwidth
- Na, Sehun (Department of Electronics Engineering, College of Electronics and Information, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Jung, Youn-Kwon (Avionics Radar Team, Hanwha Systems) ;
- Lee, Bomson (Department of Electronics Engineering, College of Electronics and Information, Kyung Hee University)
- Received : 2018.05.21
- Accepted : 2018.11.11
- Published : 2019.01.31
Typical negative group delay circuits (NGDC) are analyzed in terms of signal attenuation, group delay, and bandwidth using S-parameters. By inverting these formulations, we derive and present the design equations (for NGD circuit elements) for a desired specification of the two among the three parameters. The proposed design method is validated through simulation examples for narrow- and wide-band pulse inputs in the time and frequency domains. Moreover, an NGDC composed of lumped elements is fabricated at 1 GHz for measurement. As a function of frequency, the circuit-/EM-simulated and measured group delays are in good agreement. The provided simple NGDC design equations may be useful for many applications that require compensations of some signal delays.
Bandwidth;Negative Group Delay;Passive Element;Signal Attenuation;Synthesis
Supported by : Institute for Information & Communications Technology Promotion (IITP)
- L. Brillouin, Wave Propagation and Group Velocity. New York, NY: Academic Press, 1960.
- L. J. Wang, A. Kuzmich, and A. Dogariu, "Gain-assisted superluminal light propagation," Nature, vol. 406, no. 6793, pp. 277-279, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1038/35018520
- M. Kitano, T. Nakanishi, and K. Sugiyama, "Negative group delay and superluminal propagation: an electronic circuit approach," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 43-51, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSTQE.2002.807979
- L. F. Qiu, L. S. Wu, W. Y. Yin, and J. F. Mao, "Absorptive bandstop filter with prescribed negative group delay and bandwidth," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 639-641, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/LMWC.2017.2711572
- G. Chaudhary, Y. Jeong, and J. Lim, "Miniaturized dualband negative group delay circuit using dual-plane defected structures," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 521-523, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/LMWC.2014.2322445
- H. Mirzaei and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Realizing non-foster reactive elements using negative-group-delay networks," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 61, no. 12, pp. 4322-4332, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2013.2281967
- B. Ravelo, A. Perennec, and M. Le Roy, "Synthesis of broadband negative group delay active circuits," in Proceedings of 2007 IEEE/MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, Honolulu, HI, 2007, pp. 2177-2180.
- B. Ravelo, A. Perennec, M. L. Roy, and Y. G. Boucher, "Active microwave circuit with negative group delay," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 861-863, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/LMWC.2007.910489
- M. Kandic and G. E. Bridges, "Asymptotic limits of negative group delay in active resonator-based distributed circuits," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, vol. 58, no. 8, pp. 1727-1735, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSI.2011.2107251
- R. Das, Q. Zhang, and H. Liu, "Lossy coupling matrix synthesis approach for the realization of negative group delay response," IEEE Access, vol. 6, pp. 1916-1926, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2017.2780888
- J. Park, G. Chaudhary, J. Jeong, and Y. Jeong "Microwave negative group delay circuit: filter synthesis approach," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 7-12, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2016.16.1.7
- H. Choi, K. Song, C. D. Kim, and Y. Jeong, "Synthesis of negative group delay time circuit," in Proceedings of 2008 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, Macau, China, 2008, pp. 1-4.
- C. D. Broomfield and J. K. A. Everard, "Broadband negative group delay networks for compensation of microwave oscillators and filters," Electronics Letters, vol. 36, no. 23, pp. 1931-1933, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:20001377
- R. E. Collin, Foundations for Microwave Engineering. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill Inc., 1992.