- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Toroidal-Shaped Coils for a Wireless Power Transfer System for an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle
- Park, Jaehyoung (The Cho Chun Shik Graduate School of Green Transportation, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST)) ;
- Kim, Jonghoon (EMC Doctors Inc.) ;
- Shin, Yujun (The Cho Chun Shik Graduate School of Green Transportation, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST)) ;
- Park, Bumjin (The Cho Chun Shik Graduate School of Green Transportation, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST)) ;
- Kim, Won-Seok (WISTEK Co. Ltd.) ;
- Cheong, Seok-Jong (WISTEK Co. Ltd.) ;
- Ahn, Seungyoung (The Cho Chun Shik Graduate School of Green Transportation, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST))
- Received : 2018.05.02
- Accepted : 2018.10.30
- Published : 2019.01.31
Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) using communications, sensors, and navigation equipment will play a key role in future warfare. Currently, UAVs are monitored to prevent misfire and accidents, and the conventional method adopted uses wires for data transmission and power supply. The repeated connection and disconnection of cables increases maintenance time and harms the connector. For convenience and stability, a wireless power transfer system to power UAVs is needed. Unlike other wireless power transfer (WPT) applications, the size of the receiving coils must be small, so that the WPT systems can be embedded inside space-limited UAVs. The small size reduces the coupling coefficient and transfer efficiency between the transmitting and the receiving coils. In this study, we propose a toroidal-shaped coil for a WPT system for UAVs with high coupling coefficient with minimum space requirements. For validation, conventional coils and the proposed toroidal-shaped coil were used and their coupling coefficient and power transfer efficiency were compared using simulated and measured results. The simulated and measured results were strongly correlated, confirming that the proposed WPT system significantly improved efficiency with negligible change in the space requirement.
Coupling Coefficient;Power Transfer Efficiency;Unmanned Aerial Vehicles;Wireless Charging;Wireless Power Transfer
Supported by : Agency for Defense Development
- K. D. Mullens, E. B. Pacis, S. B. Stancliff, A. B. Burmeister, and T. A. Denewiler, "An automated UAV mission system," Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command, San Diego, CA, 2003.
- M. K. Furrutter and J. Meyer, "Small fuel cell powering an unmanned aerial vehicle," in Proceedings of IEEE AFRICON, Nairobi, Kenya, 2009, pp. 1-6.
- K. Michals, "UAV power supply maintenance method," 2012; https://www.flickr.com/photos/rocbolt/7187520615 /in/photostream.
- A. Kurs, A. Karalis, R. Moffatt, J.D. Joannopoulos, P. Fisher, and M. Soljacic, "Wireless power transfer via strongly coupled magnetic resonances," Science, vol. 317, no. 5834, pp. 83-86, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1143254
- Collado, J. A, Garcia, et al., "Wireless power transmission: R&D activities within Europe," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Technology, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 1031-1045, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2014.2303420
- S. Kim and B. Lee, "Analysis of efficiencies for multipleinput multiple-output wireless power transfer systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 126-133, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2016.16.2.126
- S. Jeong, M. Kim. J. H. Jung, and J. Kim, "An effective experimental optimization method for wireless power transfer system design using frequency domain measurement," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 208-220, 2017. https://doi.org/10.26866/jees.2017.17.4.208
- W. Huang and H. Ku, "Analysis and optimization of wireless power transfer efficiency considering the tilt angle of a coil," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 13-19, 2018. https://doi.org/10.26866/jees.2018.18.1.13
- J. Kim, J. Kim, S. Kong, H, Kim, I. S. Suh, N. P. Suh, D. H. Cho, J. Kim, and S. Ahn, "Coil design and shielding methods for a magnetic resonant wireless power transfer system," Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 101, no. 6, pp. 1332-1342, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2013.2247551
- J. Shin, S. Shin, Y. Kim, S. Ahn, S. Lee, G. Jung, S. J. Jeon, and D. H. Cho, "Design and implementation of shaped magnetic-resonance-based wireless power transfer system for roadway-powered moving electric vehicles," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 1179-1192, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2258294