- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Modified Wilkinson Power Divider Using Transmission Lines for Various Terminated Impedances and an Arbitrary Power Ratio
- Yoon, Young-Chul (Department of Electronics Engineering, Catholic Kwandong University) ;
- Kim, Young (School of Electronics Engineering, Kumoh National Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2018.07.10
- Accepted : 2018.10.30
- Published : 2019.01.31
This paper introduces a modified Wilkinson power divider that uses uniform transmission lines for various terminated impedances and an arbitrary power ratio. For the designed power ratio, the proposed divider changes only the electrical lengths of the transmission lines between the input and output ports, and those between the output ports and the isolation resistor. In this case, even when various termination impedances of the ports exist, the divider characteristics are satisfied. To verify the feasibility of the proposed divider, two circuits were designed to operate at a frequency of 2 GHz with 2:1 and 4:1 power splitting ratios and various terminated impedances of 40, 70, and
Arbitrary Power Ratio;Unequal Divider;Uniform Transmission Line;Various Terminated Impedance;Wilkinson Divider
- E. J. Wilkinson, "An N-way hybrid power divider," IRE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 116-118, 1960. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.1960.1124668
- U. H. Gysel, "A new N-way power divider/combiner suitable for high-power application," in Proceedings of IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, Palo Alto, CA, 1975, pp. 116-118.
- Y. Kim and Y. C. Yoon, "A modified unequal power divider with a complex isolation component for enhanced isolation," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 322-324, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.28843
- A. K. Agrawal and G. F. Mikucki, "A printed circuit hybrid ring directional coupler for arbitrary power divisions," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 34, no. 12, pp. 1401-1407, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.1986.1133555
- H. R. Ahn, I. Wolff, and I. S. Chang, "Arbitrary termination impedances, arbitrary power division and small-sized ring hybrids," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 44, no. 12, pp. 2241-2247, 1997.
- H. R. Ahn and I. Wolff, "Three-port 3-dB power divider terminated by different impedances and its application to MMICs," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 786-794, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/22.769351
- K. K. M. Cheng and P. W. Li, "A novel power-divider design with unequal power-dividing ratio and simple layout," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 1589-1594, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2009.2019997
- P. W. Li and K. K. M. Cheng, "A new unequal power-divider design with enhanced insertion loss flatness," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 786-788, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/LMWC.2009.2033504
- Z. Haiwei and X. Quan, "A novel Gysel power divider with arbitrary power ratio for high-power application," in Proceedings of IEEE International Wireless Symposium (IWS), Beijing, China, 2013, pp. 1-4.
- Y. Z. Zhu, X. F. Zhang, X. F. Wu, C. Li, and G. Y. Fang, "Novel Wilkinson power divider with uniform impedance line," in Proceedings of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), Macau, China, 2008, pp. 1-4.
- S. Horst, R. Bairavasubramanian, M. M. Tentzeris, and J. Papapolymerou, "Modified Wilkinson power dividers for millimeter-wave integrated circuits," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 55, no. 11, pp. 2439-2446, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2007.908672
T. Qi, S. He, Z. Dai, and W. Shi, "Novel unequal power divider with 50
$\Omega$characteristic impedance lines," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 180-182, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/LMWC.2016.2525817
- F. Lin, Q. X. Chu, and S. W. Wong, "A novel Gysel power divider design with uniform impedance transmission lines for arbitrary power-dividing ratios," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 242-249, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1080/09205071.2013.743452
M. J. Park and B. Lee, "Design of ring couplers for arbitrary power division with 50
$\Omega$lines," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 185-187, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/LMWC.2011.2112341
- D. S. Eom and H. Y. Lee, "A broadband half-mode substrate integrated waveguide quadrature Wilkinson power divider using composite right/left-handed transmission line," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 9-13, 2017. https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2017.17.1.9