- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Metaheuristic Optimization Techniques for an Electromagnetic Multilayer Radome Design
- Nguyen, Trung Kien (Department of Information & Communication Engineering, Kongju National University) ;
- Lee, In-Gon (Department of Information & Communication Engineering, Kongju National University) ;
- Kwon, Obum (Agency for Defense Development) ;
- Kim, Yoon-Jae (Agency for Defense Development) ;
- Hong, Ic-Pyo (Department of Information & Communication Engineering, Kongju National University)
- Received : 2018.07.26
- Accepted : 2018.10.17
- Published : 2019.01.31
In this study, an effective method for designing an electromagnetic multilayer radome is introduced. This method is achieved by using ant colony optimization for a continuous domain in the transmission coefficient maximization with stability for a wide angle of incidence in both perpendicular and parallel polarizations in specific X- and Ku-bands. To obtain the optimized parameter for a C-sandwich radome, particle swarm optimization algorithm is operated to give a clear comparison on the effectiveness of ant colony optimization for a continuous domain. The qualification of an optimized multilayer radome is also compared with an effective solid radome type in transmitted power stability and presented in this research.
Ant Colony Optimization;Electromagnetic Multilayer Radome Design;Metaheuristic Optimization Algorithm;Particle Swarm Optimization;Transmission Coefficient Maximization
Supported by : Agency for Defense Development
- H. A. El-Hakim, K. R. Mahmoud, and A. Abdelaziz, "Design of compact double-layer microwave absorber for X-Ku bands using genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, vol. 65, 157-168, 2016. https://doi.org/10.2528/PIERB15111702
- N. Lassouaoui, H. Ouslimani, and A. Priou, "Genetic algorithms for automated design of the multilayer absorbers in the X-band and incident angle range," in Proceedings of 2008 Progress in Electromagnetics Research Symposium (PIERS), Hangzhou, China, 2008, pp. 509-513.
- K. W. Lee, I. P. Hong, B. J. Park, Y. C. Chung, and J. G. Yook, "Design of multilayer radome with particle swarm optimization," The Journal of Korean Institute of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 744-751, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5515/KJKIEES.2010.21.7.744
- S. Roy, A. Mahanti, S. D. Roy, and G. K. Mahanti, "Comparison of evolutionary algorithms for optimal design of broadband multilayer microwave absorber for normal and oblique incidence," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 79-84, 2016.
- K. Chao, Y. Liu, and R. Yang, "Application of the hybrid algorithm combining ant colony optimization algorithm with microgenetic algorithm to the optimization of multi-layered radar absorbing coating," in Proceedings of International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, Nanjing, China, 2008, pp. 597-600.
- K. Socha and M. Dorigo, "Ant colony optimization for continuous domains," European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 185, no. 3, pp. 1155-1173, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2006.06.046
- D. J. Kozakoff, Analysis of Radome Enclosed Antennas. Boston, MA: Artech House, 1997.
- R. Lavin, "IEEE Phoenix Waves and Devices chapter," 2014; http://sites.ieee.org/phoenix-wad/files/2016/10/IEEE_Lavin_Radomes_Final.pdf.
- X. Lei, L. Mao, Y. Lu, and P. Wang, "Revisiting the effective medium approximation in all-dielectric subwavelength multilayers: breakdown and rebuilding," Physical Review B, vol. 96, no. 3, article no. 035439, 2017.
- M. Dorigo, "Optimization, learning and natural algorithms," Ph.D. dissertation, Politecnico di Milano, Italy, 1992.
- D. E. Goldberg, Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization, and Machine Learning. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley Publishing, 1989.