- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Wide and Dual-Band MIMO Antenna with Omnidirectional and Directional Radiation Patterns for Indoor Access Points
- Yeom, Insu (Graduate School of Nano.IT.Design Fusion, Seoul National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Jung, Young Bae (Department of Electronics and Control Engineering, Hanbat National University) ;
- Jung, Chang Won (Graduate School of Nano.IT.Design Fusion, Seoul National University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2018.04.30
- Accepted : 2018.10.17
- Published : 2019.01.31
A wide-band multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) antenna with dual-band (2.4 and 5 GHz) operation is proposed for premium indoor access points (IAPs). Typically, an omni-directional pattern is used for dipole antennas and a directional radiation pattern is used for patch antennas. In this paper, both antenna types were used to compare their performance with that of the proposed
Access Point;Antenna Diversity;MIMO;Throughput Data;WLAN
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- J. Mietzner, R. Schober, L. Lampe, W. H. Gerstacker, and P. A. Hoeher, "Multiple-antenna techniques for wireless communications: a comprehensive literature survey," IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 87-105, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/SURV.2009.090207
- R. Tian, B. K. Lau, and Z. Ying, "Multiplexing efficiency of MIMO antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 10, pp. 183-186, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2011.2125773
- S. Lim, W. C. Choi, and J. Y. Yoon, "Miniaturized radio frequency choke using modified stubs for high isolation in MIMO systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 219-223, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2015.15.4.219
- I. S. Yeom, and C. W. Jung, "Compact dual-band multiple input multiple output antenna with high isolation performance," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, vol. 52, no. 12, pp. 2808-2811, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.25614
- D. Halperin, W. K. Hu, A. Sheth, and D. Wetherall, "802.11 with multiple antennas for dummies," ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 19-25, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1145/1672308.1672313
- O. Tze-Meng, T. K. Geok, and A. W. Reza, "A dual-band omni-directional microstrip antenna," Progress in Electromagnetics Research, vol. 106, pp. 363-376, 2010. https://doi.org/10.2528/PIER10052411
- Z. Zhang, M. F. Iskander, and J. C. Langer, and J. Mathews, "Dual-band WLAN dipole antenna using an internal matching circuit," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 1813-1818, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2005.846784
- Y. J. Wu, B. H. Sun, J. F. Li, and Q. Z. Liu, "Triple-band omni-directional antenna for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, vol. 76, pp. 477-484, 2007. https://doi.org/10.2528/PIER07080601
- S. He and J. Xie, "Analysis and design of a novel dual-band array antenna with a low profile for 2400/5800-MHz WLAN systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 391-396, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2009.2037699
- D. C. Chang, B. H. Zeng, and J. C. Liu, "High performance antenna array with patch antenna elements," in PIERS Proceedings, Xian, China, 2010, pp. 710-713.
- G. Bianchi, "Performance analysis of the IEEE 802.11 distributed coordination function," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communication, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 535-547, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/49.840210
- M. Ekpenyong and J. Isabona, "Modeling throughput performance in 802.11 WLAN," International Journal of Computer Science Issues, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 16-22, 2000.
- C. Na, J. K. Chen, and T. S. Rappaport, "Measured traffic statistics and throughput of IEEE 802.11 b public WLAN hotspots with three different applications," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 5, no. 11, pp. 3296-3305, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2006.05043
- G. Rajagopalan, "802.11n client throughput performance," Aruba Networks, Sunnyvale, CA, 2008.
- D. Wittwer, S. Azulay, M. Ellioot, M. Martiskainen, and S. Krupa, "The influence of antenna directivity on physical layer simulations of 802.11n devices," in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Microwaves, Communications, Antennas and Electronic Systems, Tel Aviv, Israel, 2009, pp. 1-4.
- S. Maci and G. B. Gentili, "Dual-frequency patch antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 13-20, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/74.646798
- P. S. Kildal, K. Rosengren, J. Byun, and J. Lee, "Definition of effective diversity gain and how to measure it in a reverberation chamber," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 56-59, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.10372
- Q. Wang, H. Zhang, D. Plettemeier, E. Ohlmer, and G. Fettweis, "Design and performance evaluation of handset MIMO antenna prototypes," in Proceedings of International ITG Workshop on Smart Antennas, Bremen, Germany, 2010, pp. 375-382.
- B. Guo, O. Sotoudeh, G. Zhou, and Y. Cheng, "Antenna diversity for a mobile terminal: theory, simulation and measurement," in Proceedings of IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference, Honolulu, HI, 2009, pp. 1-6.
- P. S. Kildal and K. Rosengren, "Correlation and capacity of MIMO systems and mutual coupling, radiation efficiency, and diversity gain of their antennas: simulations and measurements in a reverberation chamber," IEEE Communication Magazine, vol. 42, no. 12, pp. 104-112, 2004.
- I. Yeom, J. M. Kim, and C. W. Jung, "Dual-band slotcoupled patch antenna with broad bandwidth and high directivity for WLAN access point," Electronics Letters, vol. 50, no. 10, pp. 726-728, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2013.3680
- A. Majumder, "Rectangular microstrip patch antenna using coaxial probe feeding technique to operate in S-band," International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT), vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 1206-1210, 2013.
- C. A. Balanis, Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd ed. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
- T. Taga, "Analysis for mean effective gain of mobile antennas in land mobile radio environments," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 117-131, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1109/25.54228
- Qualcomm, "Diversity Antenna Design Guidelines," Release 7.10 913-0949-04 Rev. A, 2006.
- I. Yeom, H. Kim, J. Jung, and C. W. Jung, "Analysis of spatial/polarization diversity using a broadband slotcoupled patch antenna for the WLAN 802.11 A/B/G/N access point," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 1042-1048, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.29010
- Ixia, "IxChariot user guide," 80-V8782-5 Rev. B, 2006.
- E. Pelletta, "Maximum throughput of IEEE 802.11 access points: test procedure and measurements," Master's thesis, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden, 2004.
- A. L. Wijesinha, Y. T. Song, M. Krishnan, V. Mathur, J. Ahn, and V. Shyamasundar, "Throughput measurement for UDP traffic in an IEEE 802.11g WLAN," in Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Software Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Networking and Parallel/ Distributed Computing, Towson, MD, 2005, pp. 220-225.