- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Loop-Type Ground Radiation Antenna for a C-Shaped Ground Plane
- Lee, Hongkoo (Department of Electronics and Computer Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Zahid, Zeeshan (Department of Electronics and Computer Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Kim, Hyeongdong (Department of Electronics and Computer Engineering, Hanyang University)
- Received : 2017.11.29
- Accepted : 2018.09.19
- Published : 2019.01.31
In this study, optimum locations for a loop-type ground radiation antenna are evaluated for C-shaped ground planes of two different sizes. To achieve good radiation performance, the antenna needs to be located such that it couples with the dominant current mode of the ground plane. Antenna locations are proposed using the characteristic mode analysis of the ground planes. The measured bandwidths of the antennas at the proposed locations have more than twice the bandwidths of the cases in which the antennas are coupled with non-dominant modes. The operating frequency of the antennas is 2.45 GHz.
Characteristic Mode;Ground Radiation Antenna;Radiation Efficiency
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- J. S. McLean, "A re-examination of the fundamental limits on the radiation Q of electrically small antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 672-676, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/8.496253
- Y. Liu, X. Lu, H. Jang, H. Choi, K. Jung, and H. Kim, "Loop-type ground radiation antenna using resonated loop feeding, intended for mobile devices," Electronics Letters, vol. 47, no. 7, pp. 426-427, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2011.0094
- O. Cho, H. Choi, and H. Kim, "Loop-type ground radiation antenna using capacitor," Electronics Letters, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 11-12, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2010.3215
- Z. Zahid and H. Kim, "Loop-type ground radiation antenna for discontinuous ring-shaped ground plane," Electronics Letters, vol. 53, no. 12, pp. 760-762, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2017.1173
- M. Cabedo-Fabres, E. Antonino-Daviu, A. Valero-Nogueira, and M. F. Bataller, "Theory of characteristic modes revisited: a contribution to the design of the antennas for modern applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation Magazine, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 52-68, 2007.
- I. Szini, A. Tatomirescu, and G. F. Pedersen, "On small terminal MIMO antennas, harmonizing characteristic modes with ground plane Geometry," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 1487-1497, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2015.2398111
- R. F. Harrington, Time-Harmonic Electromagnetic Fields. New York, NY: Wiley, 2001.