- Volume 28 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Anyang Citizens' Awareness of the Effects of City Parks on City Dwellers
- Marshall, Tony (Department of Urban Information Engineering, The Graduate School, Anyang University) ;
- Jang, June-Ho (Faculty of Urban Information Engineering, Urban Planning, Anyang University) ;
- Eom, Boong-Hoon (Faculty of Landscape Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Daegu Catholic University)
- Received : 2019.10.30
- Accepted : 2019.12.05
- Published : 2019.12.31
This study aimed to investigate educational, social, and environmental effects of city parks on the citizens of Anyang, South Korea. The study conducted a questionnaire survey for 30 days on a sample of 1,080 Anyang residents. Parks can be used for different purposes that have benefits like improving the appeal of the local environment as well as promoting health. The respondents highlighted preferred activities including participating in events, learning eco-practices at school, volunteering, and collaborating with the government to enforce environmental quality laws. The identified effects of parks on citizens according to this study were the benefits obtained from parks in the city, the improvement of their quality of life, and enhancing the environmental quality and sustainability. The study also undertook a correlational analysis to establish the relationship between the citizens' experience in the park and the level of satisfaction they demonstrated in the study for continuity purposes. The data collected was divided into 2 data forms entailed in a comparative analysis chart for the city's 12 parks at different times of the day, and a clustered analysis using 4 data clusters grouped based on the profiles of survey responders. The study concluded that the educational, social, and environmental effects of the parks are significant, suggesting an array of programs that can be used to enhance urban redevelopment and showed the role of parks in environmental awareness for cities in the future.
- Bristow, R. S., Blackie, R., Brown, N., 2009, Parks and the urban heat island: A longitudinal study in Westfield, Massachusetts. In Proceedings of the 2010 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium pp. 224-230. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station.
- Chiesura, A., 2004, The role of urban parks for the sustainable city, Landscape and Urban Planning, 68(1), 129-138. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2003.08.003
- Eom, B. H., Han, S. M., 2011, Analysis of changes in citizen satisfaction with parks and green spaces in Daegu city, Korea, J. Kor. Land. Arch., 39(6), 67-75.
- Eom, B. H., Jang, E. J., 2016, Awareness of Daegu Citizens on Urban Agriculture, J. Kor. Soc. People, Plants and Environ., 19(6), 539-547. https://doi.org/10.11628/ksppe.2016.19.6.539
- Hakimizad, S., Asl, S. R., Ghiai, M. M., 2015, Renewable energy harvesting approach in the design of the urban parks, Advances in Architecture, City and Environment, 1(2), 22-32.
- Jang, D. H., 2006, Study on ecology-oriented urban agriculture, Chonju: Chonbuk National University.
- Jeong, S. J., Lee, S. M., Lee, Y. J., Song, Y. J., Moon, J. H., 2012, Preference and needs of users and staffs in botanical gardens and arboretums for activities related to urban agriculture, J. Kor. Soc. People, Plants and Environ., 15(6), 501-510.
- Jeong, S. J., Lee, S. M., Moon, J. H., Lee, Y. J., Song, Y. J., 2013, Preference and needs of users in the urban park for activities related to urban agriculture, J. Kor. Soc. People, Plants and Environ., 16(4), 217-225. https://doi.org/10.11628/ksppe.2013.16.4.217
- Kim, Y. I., Kim, J. G., An, J. S., Choi, A. H., 2010, Citizen satisfaction model for urban parks and greens, J. Kor. Land. Arch., 38(3), 62-74.
- Kim, Y. I., Kim, J. G., 2011, Citizens'perception and satisfaction for urban parks and greens, J. Kor. Plann. Asso., 46(1), 157-170.
- Lee, B. N., Yang, D. H., Lee, E. H., 2013, Analysis of policy and current status in urban agriculture, J. Kor. Soc. People, Plants and Environ., 16(3), 151-159. https://doi.org/10.11628/ksppe.2013.16.3.151
- Madakam, S., Holmukhe, R. M., 2019, Songdo smart city: An Aerotropolis and a ubiquitous city, big data analytics for smart and connected cities, IGI Global, 278-298.
- Nurdogan, N., 2017, Urban parks for urban future, Istanbul: Istanbul Arel University.
- Oblinska, K., 2018, The value of urban parks in Lodz, J. Real. Esta. Manage. and Valua., 26(1), 73-88.
- Panduro, T. E., Jensen, C. U., Lundhede, T. H., von Graevenitz, K., Thorsen, B. J., 2018, Eliciting preferences for urban parks, Regional Science and Urban Economics, 73, 127-142. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.regsciurbeco.2018.09.001
- Voigt, A., Kabisch, N., Wurster, D., Hasse, D., Breuste, J., 2014, Structural diversity: A Multi-dimensional approach to assess recreational services in urban parks, Salzburg: Kungl, Vetenskaps-Akademien.
- Wijewardhana, H. M. P., Ramanayaka, A. R. N. D., 2010, An Impact of urban parks on human well-being in terms of social relations, Kelaniya: University of Kelaniya.
- Yoon, E. J., Yoon, Y. H., 2011, A Study on the introduction of urban agriculture to permanently rental apartment complexes, J. Land, Housing, and Urban Affairs, 2(2), 93-99. https://doi.org/10.5804/LHIJ.2011.2.2.093
- Yun, J. W., Kim, U., Yang, J. Y., 2014, A Study on the development of urban park environment measurement model for citizens, J. Kor. Space Design, 9(4), 129-138.
- Zammataro, A., 2018, Phenomenal deformations: affordance as an architectural design tool to deal with subject-object complementarity in occupancy, symposium arquitectonics mind, land and society 2018: Looking for the human condition of architectural and urban design research practices and theories, Universitat Politcnica de Catalunya, 2018.