- Volume 28 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Groundwater Flow Characterstics and Hydraulic Conductivity in Jeju Island Using Groundwater Model
지하수 모델을 이용한 제주도 지하수 유동특성 및 수리전도도 분석
- Kim, Min-Chul (Jeju Research Institute) ;
- Yang, Sung-Kee (Department of Civil Engineering, Jeju National University)
- Received : 2019.10.08
- Accepted : 2019.12.02
- Published : 2019.12.31
We used numerical models to reliably analyze the groundwater flow and hydraulic conductivity on Jeju Island. To increase reliability, improvements were made to model application factors such as hydraulic watershed classification, groundwater recharge calculation by precipitation, hydraulic conduction calculation using the pilot point method, and expansion of the observed groundwater level. Analysis of groundwater flow showed that the model-calculated water level was similar to the observed value. However, the Seogwi and West Jeju watersheds showed large differences in groundwater level. These areas need to be analyzed by segmenting the distribution of the hydraulic conductivity. Analyzing the groundwater flow in a sub watershed showed that groundwater flow was similar to values from equipotential lines; therefore, the reliability of the analysis results could be improved. Estimation of hydraulic conductivity distribution according to the results of the groundwater flow simulation for all areas of Jeju Island showed hydraulic conductivity > 100 m/d in the coastal area and 1 - 45 m/d in the upstream area. Notably, hydraulic conductivity was 500 m/d or above in the lowlands of the eastern area, and it was relatively high in some northern and southern areas. Such characteristics were found to be related to distribution of the equipotential lines and type of groundwater occurrence.
Supported by : 제주대학교
- Choi, B, S., 1999, Determination of aqnifer characteristics from specific capacity data of wells in Cheju Island, J. Groundwater Environment, 6, 180-187.
- Franke, O. L., Reilly, T. E., 1987, The effects of boundary conditions on the steady-state response of three hypothetical ground-water systems-Results and implications of numerical experiments, U.S. Geological Survey water-supply paper, 2315.
- Aquaveo, 2015, MODFLOW-USG, Manual.
- Franke, O. L., Reilly, T. E., Bennett, G. D., 1987, Definition of boundary and initial conditions in the analysis of saturated ground-water flow systems - An introduction.
- Jejudo, 2003, Comperhensive survey of hydrogeology and groundwater resources in Jeju Island(III), 173-179.
- Jeju Special Self-Governing Province, 2013, Water resources management master plan.
- Jeju Special Self-Governing Province, 2018, Water resources management master plan.
- Jung, W. Y., 2013, The estimation of parametric runoff characteristics and flood discharge based on riverine in-situ measurements in Jeju Islan, Ph. D. Jeju National Univercity, Korea.
- Kim, K. J., 1999, Current situation and problems in applying groundwater flow medels to EIAs in Korea, J. Korean Society Groundwater Environment, 6(2), 66-75.
- Kim, M. C., Yang, S. K., 2019, Hydraulic watershed classification and analysis of flow characteristics of groundwater on Jeju Island, J. Environ. Sci. Int., 28(4), 423-433. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2019.28.4.423
- Kim, M. C., Yang, S. K., Oh, S. T., 2015, Analysis on groundwater flow according to low permeable layer structure over Seongsan Watershed of Jeju Island, J. Environ. Sci. Int., 24(4), 449-459. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2015.24.4.449
- Kim, M. C., Yang, S. K., Lee, J. H., Lee, G. B., 2016, Assessment of groundwater flow modeling according to hydraulic conductivity zonation in Jeju Island, Proceedings of the Korean Environmental Sciences Society Conferences, 25(1), 163
- Ko, J. W., 2016, Groundwater flow analysis of Middle-Seogwi watershed area based on monitored filed data, Ph. D. Jeju National Univercity, Korea.
- Koh, G. W., Kang, B. R., Moon, D. C., 2006, Hydrogeological and groundwater management system of Jeju Island, Jeju.Hawaii Water Forum, 134-166.
- Na, H. N., Koo, M. H., Cha, J. H., Kim, Y. J., 2007, Sensitivity analysis of groundwater model predictions associated with uncertainty of boundary conditions: A Case study, J. Groundwater Soil and Environment, 12(3), 53-65.
- Park, J. K., Kim, M. C., Yang, S. K,. Lee, J. H., Kim, Y. S., 2016, Assessment of groundwater flow modeling according to hydraulic conductivity zonation in the Dae-jeong watershed of Jeju Island, J. Environ. Sci. Int., 25(12), 1727-1738. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2016.25.12.1727
- Yun, S. W., Jo, Y. J., Lee, J. Y., 2009, Comparison of groundwater recharges estimated by waterlevel fluctuation and hydrograph separation in Haean basin of Yanggu, J. Geological Society of Korea, 45(4), 391-404.