- Volume 28 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Influence of Perceived Neighborhood Walking Environment on Satisfaction for the Elderly
노인의 거주지 주변 보행환경 인식이 만족도에 미치는 영향
- Park, Young-Eun (Department of Landscape Architecture, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Jung, Sung-Gwan (Department of Landscape Architecture, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Lee, Woo-Sung (Department of Landscape Architecture, Daegu University,)
- Received : 2019.09.02
- Accepted : 2019.09.27
- Published : 2019.12.31
The purpose of this study is to analyze the effect of perceived walking environment around neighborhood on satisfaction for old adults in Daegu. The study was conducted using 407 questionnaires were collected through the survey. The walking environment was categorized into accessibility to neighborhood walking facilities and walking environment around path. Regarding perception of walking accessibility, access to 'public transit stops' and to 'medical facilities' was relatively high. For walking environment, 'pavement condition', 'continuity of sidewalk', and 'slope of sidewalk' were rated relatively high. Multiple regression analysis after factor analysis of walking environment variables showed that religious and convenient facilities, park and leisure facilities, and medical and welfare facilities had a significant effect on satisfaction in walking accessibility. For walking environment the convenience for walking, safety for walking, and amenities for walking had a significant effect on satisfaction. The findings from this study can be used for improving the walking environment for old adults.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Atienza, A. A., 2001, Home-based physical activity programs for middle-aged and older adults, J. Aging Phys. Act., 9, 38-58. https://doi.org/10.1123/japa.9.s1.s38
- Berke, E. M., Koepsell, T. D., Moudon, A. V., Hoskins, R. E., Larson, E. B., 2007, Association of the built environment with physical activity and obesity in older persons, Am. J. Public Health, 97, 3, 486-492. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2006.085837
- Eakin, E., 2001, Promoting physical activity among middle-aged and older adults in health care settings, J. Aging Phys. Act., 9, 29-37. https://doi.org/10.1123/japa.9.s1.s29
- Giles-Corti, B., Broomhall, M. H., Knuiman, M., Collins, C., Douglas, K., Lange, A., Donovan, R. J., 2005, Increasing walking: How important is distance to, attractiveness, and size of public open space?, Am. J. Prev. Med., 28, 169-176.
- Gu, J., 2016, Study for neighborhood environment to enhancing the outdoor activities of the elderly, Master Thesis, Seoul National University.
- Joung, Y. J., Lee, S. K., 2015, The study on the causality among built environment, social relationship, and health of the elderly, Journal of The Korean Regional Development Association, 27(2), 75-94.
- King, D., 2008, Neighborhood and individual factors in activity in older adults, JAPA, 16(2), 144-170. https://doi.org/10.1123/japa.16.2.144
- Kim, M., 2009, improvements of transportation environment for the mobility handicapped, Master Thesis, WonKwang University.
- Kim, S., 2012a, Differences in mental health of the elderly according to religious experiences and activities, Master Thesis, Hanseo University.
- Kim, Y., 2012b, Neighborhood environmental factors enhancing the quality of life among urban elderly population, Doctor Thesis, Seoul National University.
- Kim, W., 2015, A Study of self efficacy, depression, stress and perceived health status according to the stage of change for exercise behaviors in older adults, Doctor Thesis, Daegu Haany University.
- Kim, D., 2016, Exploration of perceived environment for physical activity of older adults, Master Thesis, Seoul National University.
- Kim, S. Y., Lee, J. J., Oh, C. O., 2016, The degree of age-friendliness of living environments perceived by the aged, Design Convergence Study, 15(2), 203-222.
- Korea Road Traffic Authority (KoROAD), 2015. Integrated guidelines for protecting children, the elderly and the disabled.
- Lee, H. S., 2011, Perception of proximity to and utilization of neighborhood services and facilities for senior citizens, Journal of The Urban Design Institute of Korea 12(4), 63-74.
- Lee, H. S., 2012, Reliability analysis on the assessment indicators for senior walking environment, The Journal of the Korea Institute of Ecological Architecture and Environment, 12(3), 69-75.
- Lee, E., 2015, A Study on inclusive walkability for the pedestrian environment for the elderly, Doctor Thesis, Yeungnam University.
- Lee, J., 2016, Analysis of effects of neighborhood environments on the health of the elderly, Master Thesis, Seoul National University.
- Lee, H. S., Ahn, J. S., Chun, S. H., 2011, Analysis of environmental correlates with walking among older urban adults, Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture, 39(2), 65-72. https://doi.org/10.9715/KILA.2011.39.2.065
- Linnan, L. A., Marcus, B., 2001, Worksite-based physical activity programs and older adults, J. Aging Phys. Act., 9, 59-70. https://doi.org/10.1123/japa.9.s1.s59
- Marquet, O., Miralles-Guasch, C., 2015, Neighbourhood vitality and physical activity among the elderly, Soc Sci Med, 135, 24-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2015.04.016
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, and Transport (MLIT), 2016, Installation and management manual of transportation facilities for the disabled.
- Moran, M., Van Cauwenberg, J., Hercky-Linnewiel, R., Cerin, E., Deforche, B., Plaut, P., 2014, Understanding the relationships between the physical environment and physical activity in older adults, Int. J. Behav. Nutr. Phys. Act., 11, 79-93. https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-11-79
- Nagel, C. L., Carlson, N. E., Bosworth, M., Michael, Y. L., 2008, The relation between neighborhood built environment and walking activity among older adults, Am J Epidemiol, 168(4), 461-468. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwn158
- Oh, C. O., Kim, S. Y., Kang, D. J., 2015, The age-friendly degree of neighborhood environment in aspects of the aged, Korean Institute Of Interior Design Journal 24(2), 217-226. https://doi.org/10.14774/JKIID.2015.24.2.217
- Oh, Y., 2015, The health status of older Koreans and policy considerations, Health and Welfare Policy Forum 2015, 29-39.
- Park, M., 2012, A Study on improvements of silver zone by analysis of awareness of the elderly, Master Thesis, Pusan National University.
- Park, H., 2014, Effects of neighborhood environment on elderly's walking activities and quality of life, Master Thesis, Kongju National University.
- Park, H., Jung, Y., Lee, K., 2017, Effects of neighborhood environment on elderly's walking route and outdoor activities, Journal of The Urban Design Insitute of Korea, 18(6), 17-35.
- Phelan, E. A., Anderson, L. A., LaCroix, A. Z., Larson, E. B., 2004, Older adults'views of successful aging: How do they compare with researchers' definitions?, J. Am. Geriatr. Soc., 52(2), 211-216. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2004.52056.x
- Roh, K., 2015, A Study on guideline of public design for age-friendly city, Doctor Thesis, Kyungpook National University.
- Son, H., 2004, An Ecological Approach to Study the Health Promotion Behavior of the Elderly in Kangseo-ku, Kangnam-ku, Seoul, Family and Environment Research, 42(12), 77-92.
- Van Cauwenberg, J., et al., 2012, Physical environmental factors related to walking and cycling in older adults: The Belgian aging studies, BMC Public Health, 12(1), 142-155. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-12-142
- Weiss, R. L., Maantay, J. A., Fahs, M., 2010, Promoting active urban aging: a measurement approach to neighborhood walkability for older adults, Cities Environ, 3(1), 1-17.
- WHO, 2007, Global age-friendly cities: A guide.