- Volume 28 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Spatial and Temporal Variation of Characteristics and Pollution Assessment of Sediment in the Watersheds of Andong-Dam and Imha-Dam, Korea
안동댐과 임하댐 유역에서 퇴적물 특성 및 오염도의 시·공간적 변화
- Kim, Shin (Nakdong River Environment Research Center, National Institute of Environmental Research) ;
- Jeong, Hyun-Gi (Nakdong River Environment Research Center, National Institute of Environmental Research) ;
- Kim, Hyoung-Geun (Nakdong River Environment Research Center, National Institute of Environmental Research) ;
- Kim, Ju-Eon (Nakdong River Environment Research Center, National Institute of Environmental Research) ;
- Park, Su-Jeong (Nakdong River Environment Research Center, National Institute of Environmental Research) ;
- Kim, Yong-Seok (Nakdong River Environment Research Center, National Institute of Environmental Research) ;
- Yang, Deuk-Seok (Nakdong River Environment Research Center, National Institute of Environmental Research)
- 김신 (국립환경과학원 낙동강물환경연구소) ;
- 정현기 (국립환경과학원 낙동강물환경연구소) ;
- 김형근 (국립환경과학원 낙동강물환경연구소) ;
- 김주언 (국립환경과학원 낙동강물환경연구소) ;
- 박수정 (국립환경과학원 낙동강물환경연구소) ;
- 김용석 (국립환경과학원 낙동강물환경연구소) ;
- 양득석 (국립환경과학원 낙동강물환경연구소)
- Received : 2019.07.30
- Accepted : 2019.11.18
- Published : 2019.12.31
We investigated the spatial and temporal variation in characteristics and pollution assessment of sediments in the watersheds of Andong-Dam and Imha-Dam, in Korea. Surface sediments were collected from six sites once a year for three years (2015-2017), and analyzed for organic matter (water content, IL, COD, TOC, TN, and TP), grain size, and concentration of trace metals (Al, Li, Zn, Cr, Pb, Cu, Ni, and As). Organic matter generally tended to increase, and was higher in the Andong watershed compare to Imha watershed. Surface sediments were mainly composed of silt. Coarse sediments were mainly distributed at the site adjacent to Andong-Dam, and showed fining after coarsening. Fine sediment were mainly distributed at the site adjacent to Imha-Dam, and were gradually coarsening. Concentration of trace metals generally tended to increase, and was higher for sites in watershed of Andong watershed (PLI > 1) than for sites in Imha watershed (PLI < 1). Trace metals in the study area were considered to be affected by fine sediment (silt), and contamination of trace metals was somewhat affected by Pb, and greatly affected by Zn and As.
Supported by : 국립환경과학원
- Alloway, B. J., Thornton, I., Smart, G. A., Sherlock, J. C., Quinn, M. J., 1988, Metal arailability, Sci. Total Envir., 75, 41-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/0048-9697(88)90159-3
- Dekoev, V. M., Komy, Z., Araujo, F., Van Put, A., Van Grieken, R., 1997, Chemical composition of sediments, suspended matter, river water and ground water of the Nile (Aswan-Sohag traverse), Sci. Total Envir., 20, 195-210.
- Folk, R. L., Ward, W. C., 1957, Brazos river bar: a study in the significance of grain size parameter, J. Sedi. Petro., 27, 864-874.
- Kim, D. H., 2007, A Study on the measurement of nutrients release from sediment, J. Envir. Sci., 11(12), 1333-1337.
- Kim, J. Y., Eun, G. Y. N., Koh, Y. K., Youn, S. T., Oh, K. H., Kim, D. J., 2001, Sediemtary environments and geochemical characters of the core sediments near Naju-Yeongam area in the lower part of the Yeongsan river, Cheonnam, Korea, J. Kor. Ear. Sci. Soc., 22(4), 301-316.
- Kim, S., Ahn, J. M., Kim, H. G., Kwon, H. G., Kim, G. H., Shin, D. S., Yang, D. S., 2018, Change of distribution charateristics in grain size and organic matters of surface sediments from Nakdong-Goryeong mid-watershed, J. Envir. Sci. Int., 27(5), 281-289. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2018.27.5.281
- Kim, S., Ahn, J. M., Lee, H. Y., Kim, B., Park, S. J., Kim, Y. S., Yang, D. S., 2019, Contamination assessment of trace metals in surface sediments from the Nakdong river main stream, J. Kor. Soc. Envir. Analy., 22(1), 10-21.
- Kim, S., Kim, J. E., Lee, G. C., Lee, G. Y., Jeon, H. R., Yu, J. J., Lee, I. J., Ahn, J. M., 2015, Distrbution and pollution of heavy metals in surface sediments from Nakdong river, J. Envir. Sci. Int., 24(8), 969-980. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2015.24.8.969
- Kim, S., Lee, G. C., Kim, J. E., Jung, G. Y., Ahn, J. M., Kim, H. G., Lee, I. J., Shin, D. S., Yang, D. S., 2017, Change in geochemical characteristics of surface sediments in the Nakdong river main stream, J. Envir. Sci. Int., 26(3), 311-324. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2017.26.3.311
- Kim, S., Lee, G. Y., Kim, J. E., Lee, G. C., Ahn, J. M., Lee, I. J., Jung, G. Y., Im, T. H., 2015, Vertical variation of sediment structure and geochemical characteristics of core sediment in Nakdong river midstream, J. Kor. Soc. Water Envir., 31(3), 304-312. https://doi.org/10.15681/KSWE.2015.31.3.304
- Kim, S. K., Lee, M. K., Ahn, J. H., Kang, S. W., Jeon, S. H., 2005, The effects of mean grain size and organic matter contetns in sediments on the nutrients and heavy metals concentrations, Kor. Soc. Envir. Eng., 27(9), 923-931.
- Lee, J. B., Hong, S. H., Kim, D. H., Huh, I. A., Huh, Y. J., Khan, J. B., Oh, D. Y., Kim, K. Y., Lee, Y. J., Lee, S. H., Shin, H. S., 2014, Measurment of metals in sediment of the Geum-river and their correlation, Analy. Sci. Tec., 27(1), 11-21. https://doi.org/10.5806/AST.2014.27.1.11
- Lee, J. K., Kim, S. G., Song, J. H., Lee, T. Y., 2010, Evaluation of organic compounds and heavy metals in sediments from the urban streams in the Busan city, J. Kor. Geo-envir. soc., 11, 35-43.
- Lee, Y. S., Lee, K. S., 2000, A Study on release characteristics of seiment and its impacts on water quality in Daechung dam reservoir, Kor. Sci. Envir. Imp. Assessment, 9(2), 99-107.
- Md, S. I., Md, K. A., Mohammad, R., Md, H. A. M., Muhammad, K. I., 2015, Heavy metal pollution in surface water and sediment: a preliminary assessment of an urban river in a developing country, Ecol. Ind., 48, 282-291. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2014.08.016
- Ministry of Environment (MOE), 2012, Official test methods of water quality, notification No. 2012-99, Ministry of Environment, 1-333.
- Muller, G., 1979, Schwermetalle in den sediments des rheins veranderubgen seit 1971, Umschan., 79, 778-783.
- National Institute of Environmental Research (NIER), 2015, Sediment pollution evaluation standard of river and lake, published rulings 687.
- Oh, K., Cho, Y. C., 2015, Evaluation of contamination level of the sediments from Chusori and Chudong areas in Daechung reservoir, J. Kor. Soc. Envir. Eng., 37(5), 277-284. https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2015.37.5.277
- Park, C. W., Sonn, Y. K., Hyun, B. K., Song, K. C., Chun, H. C., Cho, H. J., Moon, Y. H., Yun, S. G., 2012, Soil erosion risk assessment by soil characteristics and landuse in the upper Nakdong river basin, Kor. J. Soil Sci. Fert., 45(6), 890-896. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2012.45.6.890
- Park, S. K., Song, K. B., Cho, K. H., 2001, Comparison of heavy metal analysis in sediment, Analy. Sci. Tec., 14(2), 173-179.
- Seo, E. W., Kim, Y. J., Baek, S. C., 2008, Soil components and elution characteristics of heavy metals in sediments of Andong and Imha reservoir, J. Kor. geo-Envir. Soc., 9(4), 47-52.
- Shin, S. E., Youn, S. T., Koh, Y. K., Oh, K. H., 2015, The geochemical characteristics and environmental changes of surface sediments in Yeongsan river area, J. Kor. Geomor. Association, 22(3), 31-42.
- Tomlinson, D. L., Wilson, J. G., Harris, C. R., Jeffrey, D. W., 1980, Problems in the assessment of heavy metals in estuaries and the formation pollution index, Helgol. Mar. Res., 33, 566-575.
- Yi, W., Jiwei, H., Kangnig, X., Xianfei, H., Suming, D., 2012, Distribution of heavy metals in core sediments from Baihua lake, Envir. Sci., 16, 51-58.