- Volume 28 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Temporal-Spatial Variations of Water Quality Level and Water Quality Index on the Living Environmental Standards in the West Nakdong River
서낙동강에서 생활환경기준을 적용한 수질등급 및 수질지수의 시·공간 변동 분석
- Park, Kyeong-deok (Interdisciplinary Program of Marine Convergence Design, Pukyong National University) ;
- Kang, Dong-hwan (Environmental Research Institute, Pukyong National University) ;
- So, Yoon Hwan (Environmental Research Institute, Pukyong National University) ;
- Kim, Il-kyu (Department of Environmental Engineering, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2019.07.09
- Accepted : 2019.10.24
- Published : 2019.12.31
In this study, water quality levels were classified and water quality indices were calculated and analysed by using the water quality components of living environmental standards monitored 10 years (2008 ~ 2017) at four stations in the West Nakdong River. As a result of analyzing the monthly variation of the water quality components of the living environmental standards, the water quality in the West Nakdong River was worse downstream than upstream, and pollution at the WNR3 located in the downstream of the Jomangang was the most serious. As a result of classification of water quality levels, BOD and COD levels were the lowest, so water quality pollution in the West Nakdong River was found to be highly influenced by organic matters. The water quality index was the lowest in July and August at four stations, so water quality is showing the worst in summer. As a result of analyzing the correlation between the water quality components and the water quality index, the correlation between the TOC and the water quality index was high in the four stations, and the water quality index in the West Nakdong River was dominated by organic matters and nutrients.
Supported by : 국토교통과학기술진흥원
- Akkoyunlu, A., Akiner, M. E., 2012, Pollution evaluation in streams using water quality indices: A case study from Turkey's Sapanca Lake Basin, Ecological Indicators, 18, 501-511. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2011.12.018
- Boyacilglu, 2007, Development of a water quality index based on a European classification scheme, ISSN 0378-4738 Water S. A., 33(1), 101-106.
- CCME, 2001, Canadian water quality guidelines for the protection of aquatic life, Canadian Council of Ministers of Environment, 1-5.
- Etim, E. E., Ohoh, R., Itodo, A. U., Umoh, S. D., Lawal, U., 2013, Water quality index for the assessment of water quality from different sources in the Niger delta region of Nigeria, Frontiers in Science, 3(3), 89-95.
- Kal, B. S., Park, J. B., Kim, S. H., Im, T. H., 2017, Assessment of tributary water quality using integrated Water Quality Index, J. Wetlands Research, 19(3), 311-317. https://doi.org/10.17663/JWR.2017.19.3.311
- Kang, D. H., Kim, J. M., Kim, T. W., Kim, Y. D., 2012, Prediction of continuous discharge and water quality change for gate operation in Seonakdong River experimental catchment using SWAT, J. Wetlands Research, 14(1), 21-33. https://doi.org/10.17663/JWR.2012.14.1.021
- kang, D. H., So, Y. H., Park, K. D., Kim, I. K., Kim, B. W., 2019(a), Analyses of TOC efficiency and correlation between DO, BOD, COD and influence factors using long-term observation data in the main stream of Nakdong River, J. Environ. Sci. Intern., 28(5), 465-474. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2019.28.5.465
- kang, D. H., So, Y. H., Park, K. D., Kim, I. K., Kim, B. W., 2019(b), Water quality level of the living environmental standards and regression analysis in the major tributaries of the Nakdong River, J. Environ. Sci. Intern., 28(3), 357-369. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2019.28.3.357
- Khan, F., Husain, T., Lumb, A., 2003, Water quality evaluation and trend analysis in selected watersheds of the Atlantic region of Canada, Environ. Monitoring and Assessment, 88, 221-242. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1025573108513
- Kim, C. S., Ko, J. Y., Lee, J. S., Hwang, J. B., Park, S. T., Kang, H. W., 2006, Screening of nutrient removal hydrophyte and distribution properties of vegetation in tributaries of the West Nakdong River, Korean J. Environ. Agriculture, 25(2), 147-156. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2006.25.2.147
- Kim, J. M., Kim, Y. D., 2013, A Study on dynamic water quality change for gate operation in Seonakdong River, J. Korean Soc. Civil Engineers, 33(4), 1401-1411. https://doi.org/10.12652/Ksce.2013.33.4.1401
- Kim, Y. J., Gal, B. S., Park, J. B., Kim, S. H., Im, T. H., 2018, Classification of Nakdong River tributaries under priority management based on their characteristics and Water Quality Index, J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng., 40(2), 73-81. https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2018.40.2.73
- Kong, B. W., Lee, W. J., Ra, D. G., Cheong, C. J., 2016, Analysis of temporal-spatial characteristics of water quality using Water Quality Index in the Suncheon Bay, J. Korean Soc. Environ. Technology, 17(2), 96-104.
- Lee, N. J., Kim, Y. D., Kwon, J. H., Shin, C. K., 2007, Two-dimensional numerical modeling of water quality variation by gates operation in the Seonakdong River, J. Korean Soc. Water and Wastewater, 21(1), 101-112.
- Liou, S. M., Lo, S. L., Wang, S. H., 2003, A Generalized water quality index for Taiwan, Environ. Monitoring and Assessment, 96, 35-52.
- Ministry of environment, 2017, 2017 White paper of environment, Ministry of environment, 630.
- Naubi, I., Zardari, N. H., Shirazi, S. M., Ibrahim, N. F. B., Baloo, L., 2016, Effectiveness of water quality index for monitoring Malaysian River Water quality, Pol. J. Environ. Stud., 25(1), 231-239. https://doi.org/10.15244/pjoes/60109
- Park, J. B., Kal, B. S., Kim, S. H., 2018, Long-term trend analysis of major tributaries of Nakdong River using Water Quality Index, J. Wetlands Research, 20(3), 201-209. https://doi.org/10.17663/JWR.2018.20.3.201
- Pham, T. L., 2017, Comparison between Water Quality Index (WQI) and biological indices, based on planktonic diatom for water quality assessment in the Dong Nai River, Vietnam, Pollution, 3(2), 311-323.
- Srebotnjak, T., Carr, G., de Sherbinin, A., Rickwood, C., 2011, A Global Water Quality Index and hot-deck imputation of missing data, Ecological Indicators, 846, 1-12.
- Tirkey, P., Bhattacharya, T., Chakraborty, S., 2015, Water quality indices - important tools for water quality assessment: A review, International J. Advances in Chemistry, 1(1), 15-29.
- Yoon, H. S., Kim, G. Y., Kim, S. H., Lee, W. H., Yi, G. C., 2002, Physico-chemical characteristics of water and distribution of vascular hydrophytes in the West Nakdong River, South Korea, J. Ecology and Environ., 25(3), 165-173.