- Volume 55 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A promising health promoting natural product, steamed and lyophilized mature silkworm powder: its various functionalities for humans
홍잠의 다양한 건강 증진 기능성에 대한 연구 현황
- Lee, Hyun-Tai (Biopharmaceutical Engineering Major, Division of Applied Bioengineering, College of Engineering, Dong-eui University)
- 이현태 (동의대학교 공과대학 바이오응용공학부 바이오의약공학전공)
- Published : 2019.10.31
Mature silkworms (MS) of Bombyx mori have enlarged silk glands, which are known to be enriched with various functional materials. A special steaming method has been developed for processing MS with enlarged silk glands edible, by which the MS have become a potential health supplement for improving the quality of life. Steamed and lyophilized MS powder (SMSP) has been strongly believed to have various unidentified beneficial effects for humans. Therefore, the purpose of this mini-review is to summarize the various health promoting functionalities of SMSP, which have been published in the paper so far. Firstly, SMSP increased healthspan as well as lifespan, locomotor ability, and resistance to Parkinson's disease by enhancing olfaction and mitochondrial activity in neurons. Secondly, SMSP increased resistance to carcinogens causing liver cancers, improved both acute and chronic liver function with alcohol metabolism, and prevented alcohol induced stomach ulcers. Thirdly, SMSP reduced UVB-induced skin pigmentations and melanogenesis. Taken together, SMSP can be regarded as a promising natural health product to increase incomes for sericultural farm households in Korea as well as global human health and welfare.
- Agarwal DP, Goedde HW (1989) Human aldehyde dehydrogenases: Their role in alcoholism. Alcohol 6, 517-523. https://doi.org/10.1016/0741-8329(89)90061-X
- Attems J, Walker L, Jellinger KA (2014) Olfactory bulb involvement in neurodegenerative diseases. Acta Neuropathol 127, 459-475. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00401-014-1261-7
- Cho JM, Hong KS, Lee DY, Kim KY, Ji SD, Kim EH (2016a) Protective effect of silkworm (Bombyx mori) powder against diethylnitrosamine-induced hepatotoxicity in mice. Food Eng Prog 20, 342-348. https://doi.org/10.13050/foodengprog.2016.20.4.342
- Cho JM, Kim KY, Ji SD, Kim EH (2016b) Protective effect of boiled and freeze-dried mature silkworm larval powder against diethylnitrosamine-induced hepatotoxicity in mice. J Cancer Prev 21, 173-181. https://doi.org/10.15430/JCP.2016.21.3.173
- Choi BH, Ji SD, Son JG, Nguyen P, Kim KY, Park YH, Koh YH (2017) Phytochemicals and silk proteins in mature silkworm powders responsible for extended life expectancy and enhanced resistances to Parkinson's disease. J Asia-Pac Entomol 20, 1425-1433. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aspen.2017.10.011
- Coulom H, Birman S (2004) Chronic Exposure to Rotenone Models Sporadic Parkinson's Disease in Drosophila melanogaster. J Neurosci 24, 10993-10998. https://doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.2993-04.2004
- Ferretta A, Gaballo A, Tanzarella P, Piccoli C, Capitanio N, Nico B, Annese T, Paola MD, Dell'Aquila C, Mari MD, Ferranini E, Bonifati V, Pacelli C, Cocco T (2014) Effect of resveratrol on mitochondrial function: Implications in parkin-associated familiar Parkinson's disease. Biochim Biophys Acta 1842, 902-915. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbadis.2014.02.010
- Di Meglio P, Perera GK, Nestle FO (2011) The multitasking organ: recent insights into skin immune function. Immunity 35, 857-869. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.immuni.2011.12.003
- Hong, KS, Yun, SM, Cho, JM., Lee, DY., Ji, SD., Son, JG., Kim, EH (2018) Silkworm (Bombyx mori) powder supplementation alleviates alcoholic fatty liver disease in rats. J Funct Foods 43, 29-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jff.2018.01.018
- Ji SD, Kim NS, Kweon H, Choi BH, Kim KY, Koh YH (2016a) Nutrition composition differences among steamed freeze-dried mature silkworm larval powders made from 3 Bombyx mori varieties weaving different colored cocoons. Int J Indust Entomol 33, 6-14. https://doi.org/10.7852/ijie.2016.33.1.6
- Ji SD, Kim NS, Kweon H, Choi BH, Yoon SM, Kim KY, Koh YH (2016b) Nutrient compositions of Bombyx mori mature silkworm larval powders suggest their possible health improvement effects in humans. J Asia-Pac Entomol 19, 1027-1033. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aspen.2016.08.004
- Ji SD, Kim NS, Lee JY, Kim MJ, Kweon H, Sung GB, Kang PD, Kim KY (2015) Development of processing technology for edible mature silkworm. J Seric Entomol Sci 53, 38-43.
- Ji SD, Kim SB, Kim KY, Kim NS, Kim SW, Jo YY, Kim, JG, Kim YK, Seok YS, Lim JR, Koo HY, Lee HT (2019) Contents of nutrients in ultra-fine powders of steamed and lyophilized mature silkworms generated by four silkworm varieties. J Asia-Pac Entomol 22, 969-974. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aspen.2019.07.009
- Ji SD, Nguyen P, Yoon SM, Kim KY, Son JG, Kweon H, Koh YH (2017) Comparison of nutrient compositions and pharmacological effects of steamed and freeze-dried mature silkworm powders generated by four silkworm varieties. J Asia-Pac Entomol 20, 1410-1418. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aspen.2017.10.010
- Jin H, Kanthasamy A, Ghosh A, Anantharam V, Kalyanaraman B, Kanthasamy AG (2014) Mitochondria-targeted antioxidants for treatment of Parkinson's disease: Preclinical and clinical outcomes. Biochim Biophys Acta 1842, 1282-1294. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbadis.2013.09.007
- Kim HJ, Kim KY, Ji SD, Lee HT (2017) Anti-melanogenic activity of steamed and freeze-dried mature silkworm powder. J Asia-Pac Entomol 20, 1001-1006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aspen.2017.07.013
- Lee DY, Cho JM, Yun SM, Hong KS, Ji SD, Son JG, Kim EH (2017a) Comparative effect of silkworm powder from 3 Bombyx mori varieties on ethanol-induced gastric injury in rat model. Int J Indust Entomol 35, 14-21.
- Lee DY, Cho JM, Yun SM, Hong KS, Ji SD, Son JG, Kim EH (2017b) Comparison of silkworm powder from 3 Bombyx mori varieties on alcohol metabolism in rats. Int J Indust Entomol 35, 22-29.
- Nguyen P, Kim KY, Kim AY, Kim NS, Kweon H, Ji SD, Koh YH (2016) Increased healthspan and resistance to Parkinson's disease in Drosophila by boiled and freeze-dried mature silk worm larval powder. J Asia-Pac Entomol 19, 551-561. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aspen.2016.05.003
- Okuda K (1992) Hepatocellular carcinoma: recent progress. Hepatology 15, 948-963. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.1840150532
- Swift R, Davidson D (1998) Alcohol hangover-mechanisms and mediators. Alcohol Health Res World 22, 54-60.
- Tanner CM, Kamel F, Ross GW, Hoppin JA, Goldman SM, Korell M, Marras C, Bhudhikanok GS, Kasten M, Chade AR, Comyns K, Richards MB, Meng C, Priestley B, Fernandez HH, Cambi F, Umbach DM, Blair A, Sandler DP, Langston JW (2011) Rotenone, paraquat, and Parkinson's disease. Environ Health Perspect 119, 866-872. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.1002839
- Tsukuma H, Hiyama T, Tanaka S, Nakao M, Yabuuchi T, Kitamura T, Nakanishi K, Fujimoto I, Inoue A, Yamazaki H (1993) Risk factors for hepatocellular carcinoma among patients with chronic liver disease. N Engl J Med 328, 1797-1801. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199306243282501
- Yun SM, Cho JM, Hong KS, Lee DY, Ji SD, Son JG, Kim EH (2017) Gastroprotective effect of mature silkworm, Bombyx mori against ethanol-induced gastric mucosal injuries in rats. J Funct Foods 39, 279-286. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jff.2017.10.036