- Volume 55 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Proximate and nutritional compositions of freeze-dried silkworm powder as edible insect resources
동결건조 누에분말의 일반 성분 및 영양 성분
- Kweon, HaeYong (Sericultural & Apicultural Materials Division, National Academy of Agricultural Sciences, RDA) ;
- Jo, You-Young (Sericultural & Apicultural Materials Division, National Academy of Agricultural Sciences, RDA) ;
- Kim, Hyunbok (Sericultural & Apicultural Materials Division, National Academy of Agricultural Sciences, RDA) ;
- Ju, Wan-Tack (Sericultural & Apicultural Materials Division, National Academy of Agricultural Sciences, RDA) ;
- Lee, Ji Hae (Sericultural & Apicultural Materials Division, National Academy of Agricultural Sciences, RDA)
- 권해용 (국립농업과학원 잠사양봉소재과) ;
- 조유영 (국립농업과학원 잠사양봉소재과) ;
- 김현복 (국립농업과학원 잠사양봉소재과) ;
- 주완택 (국립농업과학원 잠사양봉소재과) ;
- 이지혜 (국립농업과학원 잠사양봉소재과)
- Published : 2019.10.31
Freeze-dried silkworm powder has been approved as a functional ingredients for blood glucose control since 2009. Proximate and nutrient compositions of silkworm powder was summerized as bellow. Silkworm powder contained 4.7% moisture, 57.7% crude protein, 9.5% crude fat, 5.4% crude fiber, and 9.3% ash. The larval protein contained 18 known amino acid including glutamic acid and aspartic acid. Fat is composed of 3:7 ratio of saturated fatty acid to unsaturated fatty acid including various essential fatty acids. It contained 34.7 linolenic acid, 24.4% oleic acid, 20.2% palmitic acid, 9.2% stearic acid, and 7.7% linoleic acid. Five minerals, K, P, Ca, Mg, S were abundant in the silkworm powder with other minerals such as Cu, Mn, Fe, and Zn.
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Cha J, Kim Y, Anh H, Eom K, Park B, Jun B, Cho Y (2009) Biological activity of fermented silkworm powder. J Life Sci 19, 1468-1477. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2009.19.10.1468
- Ghosh S, Lee S, Jung C, Meyer-Rochow (2017) Nutritional composition of five commercial edible insects in South Korea. J Asia Pacific Entomol 20, 686-694. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aspen.2017.04.003
- Horie Y, Nakasone S, Watanabe K, Nakamura M, Suda H (1985) Daily ingestion and utilization of various kinds of nutrients by silkworm, Bombyx mori (Lepidoptera: Bombycidae). Appl Ent Zool 20, 159-172. https://doi.org/10.1303/aez.20.159
- Ito T (1967) Nutritional requirement of the silkworm, Bombyx mori L.. Proc Japan Acad 43, 57-61. https://doi.org/10.2183/pjab1945.43.57
- Ji SD, Kim N, Kweon H, Choi BH, Yoon SM, Kim K, Koh YH (2016) Nutrient compositions of Bombyx mori mature silkworm larval powders suggest their possible health improvement effects in humans. J Asia-Pac Entomol 19, 1027-1033. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aspen.2016.08.004
- Jo Y, Bae SM, Kim H, Lee K, Kweon H (2018) Effect of enzyme treatment on the DSC and TGA behavior of silkworm powder. Int J Indust Entomol 37, 29-32.
- Jo Y, Seo Y, Lee Y, Kim S, Kweon H (2019) Effect of cold plasma treatment on the quantitative compositions of silkworm powder. Int J Indust Entomol 38, 25-30.
- Kim M, Kim N, Kim W, Kim Y, Chon D, Choi B, Han K (1969) Introduction to Sericulture (Jamsahak Gaeron) (Korean) pp. 104-141, Hyangmoonsa, Seoul.
- Kim S, Jo Y, Lee K, Kim H, Kim Y, Ju W, Jung D, Kweon H (2015) Modification of the characteristics of silkworm powder by treatment with alkaline protease. Int J Indust Entomol 31, 30-33. https://doi.org/10.7852/ijie.2015.31.1.30
- Kweon H, Park Y (1994) Structural characteristics and physical properties of wild silk fibers; Antheraea pernyi and Antheraea yamamai. Korean J Seric Sci 36, 138-146.
- Kweon H, Yeo J, Kim K, Kim YS, Song HS, Kim S, Woo S, Han S, Lee K (2009) Characteristics of silk sericin extracted from sericinjam. Int J Indust Entomol 18, 121-124.
- Ministry of Health, PR China, National Standardization Management Committee (2005) Maximum levels of contaminants in Foods. Standard Press of China, Beijing pp.2-4.
- Moon JY, Lim JS (1978) Silkworm anatomy, physiology, and phathology (Korean), p165. Hyangmoonsa, Seoul.
- Rattana S, Katisart T, Sungthong B, Butiman C (2017) Acute and sub-acute toxicities of Thai silkworm powder (Bombyx mori Linn.) from three races in male Wistar rats and in vitro antioxidant activities. Pharmacogn J 9, 541-545. https://doi.org/10.5530/pj.2017.4.87
- Rumpold BA, Schluter OK (2013) Nutritional composition and safety aspects of edible insects. Mol Nutr Food Res 57, 802-823. https://doi.org/10.1002/mnfr.201200735
- Ryu KS, Chung S (1998) Silkworm and Diabetes. pp.7-8. Shinilbooks, Seoul.
- Ryu KS, Kim I, Ahn MY, Lee HS, Kim J, Lee P (2003) Functional research on silkworm and sericultural products. Food Sci Ind 36, 15-24.
- Ryu KS, Lee HS, Kim I (2002) Effects and mechanisms of silkworm powder as a blood glucose-lowering agent. Int J Indust Entomol 4, 93-100.
- Tomotake H, Katagiri M, Yamato M (2010) Silkworm pupae (Bombyx mori) are new sources of high quality protein and lipid. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol 56, 446-448. https://doi.org/10.3177/jnsv.56.446
- Yatsunami K, Murata K, Kamei T (2011) 1-Deoxynojirimycin content and alfa-glucosidase inhibitory activity and heat stability of 1-deoxynojirimycin in silkworm powder. Food Nutr Sci 2, 87-89.
- Yin H, Shi X, Sun B, Ye J, Duan Z, Zhou X, Chi W, Wu X (2010) Accumulation of 1-deoxynojirimycin in silkworm, Bombyx mori L.. J Xhejiang Univ B 11, 286-291. https://doi.org/10.1631/jzus.B0900344
- Yu X, Liu H, Tong L (2008) Feeding scenario of the silkworm Bombyx mori, L. in the BLSS. Acta Astronautica 63, 1086-1092. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actaastro.2008.02.001
- Zhou J, Han D (2006) Proximate, amono acid and mineral composition of pupae of the silkworm Antheraea pernyi in China. J Food Comp Anal 19, 850-853. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2006.04.008