- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effective torsional stiffness of reinforced concrete structural walls
- Luo, Da (College of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Guangxi University) ;
- Ning, Chaolie (Shanghai Institute of Disaster Prevention and Relief, Tongji University) ;
- Li, Bing (School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Nanyang Technological University)
- Received : 2017.12.19
- Accepted : 2018.11.22
- Published : 2019.01.25
When a structural wall is subjected to multi-directional ground motion, torsion-induced cracks degrade the stiffness of the wall. The effect of torsion should not be neglected. As a main lateral load resisting member, reinforced concrete (RC) structural wall has been widely studied under the combined action of bending and shear. Unfortunately, its seismic behavior under a combined action of torsion, bending and shear is rarely studied. In this study, torsional performances of the RC structural walls under the combined action is assessed from a comprehensive parametrical study. Finite element (FE) models are built and calibrated by comparing with the available experimental data. The study is then carried out to find out the critical design parameter affecting the torsional stiffness of RC structural walls, including the axial load ratio, aspect ratio, leg-thickness ratio, eccentricity of lateral force, longitudinal reinforcement ratio and transverse reinforcement ratio. Besides, to facilitate the application in practice, an empirical equation is developed to estimate the torsional stiffness of RC rectangular structural walls conveniently, which is found to agree well with the numerical results of the developed FE models.
- Alnuaimi, A.S., Khalifa, S.A.J. and Abdelwahid, H. (2008), "Comparison between solid and hollow reinforced concrete beams", Mater. Struct., 41(1), 269-286. https://doi.org/10.1617/s11527-007-9237-x
- Chena, S., Diaoab, B., Guo, Q., Cheng, S.H. and Ye, Y (2016), "Experiments and calculation of U-shaped thin-walled RC members under pure torsion", Eng. Struct., 106(1), 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.10.019
- Chiu, H.J., Fang, I.K., Young, W.T. and Shiau, J.K. (2007), "Behavior of reinforced concrete beams with minimum torsional reinforcement", Eng. Struct., 29(9), 2193-2205. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.11.004
- Denis, M. (1974), "The behavior of structural concrete beams in pure torsion", Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- Elwan, S.K. (2017), "Torsion strengthening of RC beams using CFRP (parametric study)", KSCE J. Civil Eng., 21(4), 1273-1281. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-016-0156-7
- Jakobsen, B., Hjorth-Hansen, E. and Holand, I. (1984), "Cyclic torsion tests of concrete box columns", J. Struct. Eng., 110(4), 803-822. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1984)110:4(803)
- Kulkarni, S.A. and Li, B. (2008), "Finite element analysis of precast hybrid-steel concrete connections under cyclic loading", J. Constr. Steel Res., 64(2), 190-201. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2007.05.002
- Li, B. and Kulkarni, S.A. (2010), "Seismic behaviour of reinforced concrete exterior wide beam-column joints", ASCE J. Struct. Eng., 136(1), 26-36. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2010)136:1(26)
- Li, B. and Xiang, W.Z. (2011), "Effective Stiffness of Squat Structural Walls", ASCE J. Struct. Eng., 137(12), 1470-1479. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000386
- Lopes, S.M.R. and Bernardo, L.F.A. (2009), "Twist behavior of high-strength concrete hollow beams-Formation of plastic hinges along the length", Eng. Struct., 31(1), 138-149. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2008.08.003
- Palermo, D. and Vecchio, F.J. (2003), "Compression field modeling of reinforced concrete subjected to reversed loading: formulation", ACI Struct. J., 100(5), 616-625.
- Peng, X.N. and Wong, YL.W. (2011a), "Experimental study on reinforced concrete walls under combined flexure, shear and torsion", Mag. Concrete Res., 63(6), 459-471. https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.10.00133
- Peng, X.N. and Wong YL.W. (2011b), "Behavior of reinforced concrete walls subjected to monotonic pure torsion-an experimental study", Eng. Struct., 33(9), 2495-2508. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2011.04.022
- Rahal, K.N. and Collins, M.P. (1995), "Effect of thickness of concrete cover on shear-torsion interaction-an experimental investigation", ACI Struct. J., 92(3), 334-342.
- Selby, R.G. and Vecchio, F.J. (1993), "Three-dimensional constitutive relations for reinforced concrete", Report No. 93-02, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada.
- Suriya, P., Belarbi, A. and You, Y.M. (2010), "Seismic performance of circular RC columns subjected to axial force, bending, and torsion with low and moderate shear", Eng. Struct., 31(1), 46-59.
- Venkappa, V and Pandit G.S. (1987), "Cyclic torsion tests on reinforced concrete beams", J. Struct. Eng., 113(6), 1329-1340. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1987)113:6(1329)
- Vu, N.S., Li, B. and Beyer, K. (2014), "Effective stiffness of reinforced concrete coupling beams", Eng. Struct., 76(1), 371-382. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.07.014
- Wei, H.S., Yu, Z.K. and Jie, W.C. (2017), "The bending-shear-torsion performance of prestressed composite box beam", Struct. Eng. Mech., 62(5), 577-585. https://doi.org/10.12989/SEM.2017.62.5.577