- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Experimental study on seismic behavior of frame structures composed of concrete encased columns with L-shaped steel section and steel beams
- Zeng, Lei (School of Urban Construction, Yangtze University) ;
- Ren, Wenting (School of Urban Construction, Yangtze University) ;
- Zou, Zhengtao (School of Urban Construction, Yangtze University) ;
- Chen, Yiguang (School of Urban Construction, Yangtze University) ;
- Xie, Wei (School of Urban Construction, Yangtze University) ;
- Li, Xianjie (School of Urban Construction, Yangtze University)
- Received : 2017.11.09
- Accepted : 2018.12.17
- Published : 2019.01.25
The frame structures investigated in this paper is composed of Concrete encased columns with L-shaped steel section and steel beams. The seismic behavior of this structural system is studied through experimental and numerical studies. A 2-bay, 3-story and 1/3 scaled frame specimen is tested under constant axial loading and cyclic lateral loading applied on the column top. The load-displacement hysteretic loops, ductility, energy dissipation, stiffness and strength degradation are investigated. A typical failure mode is observed in the test, and the experimental results show that this type of framed structure exhibit a high strength with good ductility and energy dissipation capacity. Furthermore, finite element analysis software Perform-3D was conducted to simulate the behavior of the frame. The calculating results agreed with the test ones well. Further analysis is conducted to investigate the effects of parameters including concrete strength, column axial compressive force and steel ratio on the seismic performance indexes, such as the elastic stiffness, the maximum strength, the ductility coefficient, the strength and stiffness degradation, and the equivalent viscous damping ratio. It can be concluded that with the axial compression ratio increasing, the load carrying capacity and ductility decreased. The load carrying capacity and ductility increased when increasing the steel ratio. Increasing the concrete grade can improve the ultimate bearing capacity of the structure, but the ductility of structure decreases slightly.
Supported by : Natural Science Foundation of Hubei Province of China, Natural Science Foundation of China, Science Foundation of the Education Department of Hubei Province of China
- 318 AC (2004), Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete (ACI 318-05) and Commentary (ACI 318R-05), American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI, USA.
- AIJ-SRC (2010), Standard for the Calculation of Steel-Reinforced Concrete Structures, Architectural Institute of Japan; Tokyo, Japan.
- ANSI/AISC 341-05 (2005), Seismic Provisions for Structural Steel Buildings, American Institute of Steel Construction, Chicago, USA.
- Chen, C.C. and Lin, N.J. (2006), "Analytical model for predicting axial capacity and behavior of concrete encased steel composite stub columns", J. Constr. Steel Res., 62(5), 424-433. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2005.04.021
- Chen, J., Liu, X., Liu, H. and Zeng, L. (2018), "Axial compression behavior of circular recycled concrete-filled steel tubular short columns reinforced by silica fume and steel fiber", Steel Compos. Struct., 27(2), 193-200. https://doi.org/10.12989/SCS.2018.27.2.193
- Deierlein, G.G. and Noguchi, H. (2004), "Overview of U.S.-Japan research on the seismic design of composite reinforced concrete and steel moment frame structures", J. Struct. Eng., 130(2), 361-367. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:2(361)
- ENV 1994-1-1 (1994), Common Unified Rules for Composite Steel and Concrete Structures (EUROCODE 4), European Committee for Standardization, Brussel, Belgium.
- Fu, J., Wu, Y and Yang, Y.B. (2015), "Effect of reinforcement strength on seismic behavior of concrete moment frames", Earthq. Struct., 9(4), 699-718. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.9.4.699
- GB50010-2010 (2010), Code for Design of Concrete Structures, China Academy of Building Research, Beijing, China
- GB50011-2010 (2010), Code for Seismic Design of Buildings, China Academy of Building Research, Beijing, China
- JGJ101-96 (1997), Specificating of Testing Methods for Earthquake Resistant Building, China Academy of Building Research, Beijing, China
- JGJ138-2001 (2001), Technical Specification for Steel Reinforced Concrete Composite Structures, China Academy of Building Research, Beijing, China.
- Liao, F.Y, Han, L.H. and Tao, Z. (2014), "Behaviour of composite joints with concrete encased CFST columns under cyclic loading: Experiments", Eng. Struct., 59(2), 745-764. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.11.030
- Lima, C., Martinelli, E., Macorini, L. and Izzuddin, B.A. (2017), "Modelling beam-to-column joints in seismic analysis of RC frames", Earthq. Struct., 12(1), 119-133. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2017.12.1.119
- Liu, Z.Q., Xue, J.Y, Zhao, H.T. and Gao, L. (2014), "Cyclic test for solid steel reinforced concrete frames with special-shaped columns", Earthq. Struct., 7(3), 317-331. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.3.317
- Mander, J.B., Priestley, M.J.N. and Park, R. (1988), "Theoretical stress-strain model for confined concrete", J. Struct. Eng., 114(8), 1804-1826. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1988)114:8(1804)
- Pecce, M. and Rossi, F. (2013), "The non-linear model of embedded steel-concrete composite column bases", Eng. Struct., 46(1), 247-263. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.07.021
- Piloto, P.A.G., Ramos-Gavilan, A.B., Goncalves, C. and Mesquita, L.M.R. (2017), "Experimental bending tests of partially encased beams at elevated temperatures", Fire Saf. J., 92, 23-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.firesaf.2017.05.014
- Qi, H., Guo, L., Liu, J., Gan, D. and Zhang, S. (2011), "Axial load behavior and strength of tubed steel reinforced-concrete (SRC) stub columns", Thin Wall. Struct., 49(9), 1141-1150. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2011.04.006
- Roeder, C.W., Chmielowski, R. and Brown, C.B. (1999), "Shear connector requirements for embedded steel sections", J. Struct. Eng., 125(2), 142-151. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1999)125:2(142)
- Roik, K. and Bergmann, R. (1990), "Design method for composite columns with unsymmetrical cross-sections", J. Constr. Steel Res., 15(1), 153-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/0143-974X(90)90046-J
- Shanmugam, N.E. and Lakshmi, B. (2001), "State of the art report on steel-concrete composite columns", J. Constr. Steel Res., 57(10), 1041-1080. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(01)00021-9
- Tokgoz, S. and Dundar, C. (2008), "Experimental tests on biaxially loaded concrete-encased composite columns", Steel Compos. Struct., 8(5), 423-438. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2008.8.5.423
- Tong, L., Liu, B., Xian, Q. and Zhao, X.L. (2016), "Experimental study on fatigue behavior of Steel Reinforced Concrete (SRC) beams", Eng. Struct., 123, 247-262. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2016.05.052
- Wang, P., Shi, Q.X., Wang, Q.W. and Tao, Y (2015) "Experimental behavior and shear bearing capacity calculation of RC columns with a vertical splitting failure", Earthq. Struct., 9(6), 1233-1250. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.9.6.1233
- Xiao, YF., Zeng, L., Cui, Z.K., Jin, S.Q. and Chen, YG. (2017), "Experimental and analytical performance evaluation of steel beam to concrete-encased composite column with unsymmetrical steel section joints", Steel Compos. Struct., 23(1), 17-29. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2017.23.1.017
- Xue, J., Qi, L., Gao L. and Liu, Z. (2016), "Mechanical behavior of lattice steel reinforced concrete inner frame with irregular section columns under cyclic reversed loading", Eng. Struct., 128, 225-236. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2016.09.045
- Zeng, L., Parvasi, S.M., Kong, Q.Z., Huo, L.S., Lim, L., Li, M. and Song, G.B. (2015), "Bond slip detection of concrete-encased composite structure using shear wave based active sensing approach", Smart Mater. Struct., 24(12), 125026. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/24/12/125026
- Zeng, L., Xiao, Y, Chen, Y, Jin, S., Xie, W. and Li, X. (2017), "Seismic damage evaluation of concrete-encased steel frame-reinforced concrete core tube buildings based on dynamic characteristics", Appl. Sci., 7(4), 314. https://doi.org/10.3390/app7040314
- Zhang, J. and Jia, J. (2016), "Experimental study on seismic behavior of composite frame consisting of SRC beams and SRUHSC columns subjected to cyclic loading", Constr. Build. Mater., 125, 1055-1065. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2016.08.157
- Zhou, K.J.H., Ho, J.C.M. and Su, R.K.L. (2010), "Normalised rotation capacity for deformability evaluation of high-performance concrete beams", Earthq. Struct., 1(3), 269-287. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2010.1.3.269