- Volume 28 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Understanding Determinants of User Attitudes towards Location-based Mobile Advertising: An Empirical Analysis
위치기반 모바일 광고 태도의 결정요인에 관한 실증적 연구 : 광고 특성 및 소비자 개별화 특성을 중심으로
- Received : 2019.10.26
- Accepted : 2019.12.24
- Published : 2019.12.31
Purpose As mobile devices are in widespread use and location-based mobile advertising has grown rapidly in recent years, there exists a sharp increase among researchers as well as practitioners in the interest in the determinants of user's attitudes towards location-based Mobile advertising. The purpose of the research is to understand the predictors of attitudes towards location-based Mobile advertising and of the relationship between attitudes and behavioral intention. Design/methodology/approach To this end, we have conducted an online survey using 412 users who have the prior experience of viewing location-based advertising via their mobile devices. We excluded 31 invalid responses and performed an empirical analysis based on 381 responses. Findings The findings indicate that all the factors but 'perceived enjoyment' each have a significant, positive relationship with consumer attitudes towards location-based Mobile advertising. Furthermore, advertising attitude is positively associated with behavioral intention. We provide implications and future research directions based the research findings.
- 김계수, "SmartPLS이용 쉬운 구조방정식모델," 청람, 2013.
- 김진아, "스마트폰 사용자의 모바일 광고태도에 관한 연구: 애플리케이션을 활용한 모바일 광고 중심으로," 홍익대학교 산업대학원 석사학위논문, 2011.
- 배병렬, "AMOS 17.0 구조방정식 모델링 : 원리와 실제," 청람, 2009.
- 우종필, "구조방정식모델 개념과 이해," 한나래, 2014.
- 장형, 고준, 김균수, "모바일 인스턴트 메신저 사용자의 지속사용행동에 대한 영향요인과 습관의 조절효과: WeChat을 중심으로," 정보시스템연구, 제 25권 3호, 2016년 9월, pp. 61-90.
- 차영란, "모바일 광고의 속성과 그에 의한 신뢰 및 태도가 구매에 미치는 영향. 광고PR 실학연구," 제8권, 제1호, 2015, pp.38-64.
- 최수정, "스마트폰 기반 모바일상거래의 실용적가치와 지속이용의도," 정보시스템연구, 제 25권 제 3호, 2016년 9월, pp.31-60.
- Banerjee, S. S., and Dholakia, R. R., "Mobile advertising: does location based advertising work?," International Journal of Mobile Marketing, 2008.
- Browne, M. W., and Cudeck, R., "Alternative ways of assessing model fit," Sage focus editions, Vol. 154, 1993, pp.136-136.
- Chong, A. Y.-L., and Ngai, E. W., "What Influences Travellers' Adoption of a Location-based Social Media Service for Their Travel Planning?," Paper presented at the PACIS, 2013.
- Chowdhury, H. K., Parvin, N., Weitenberner, C., and Becker, M., "Consumer attitude toward mobile advertising in an emerging market: An empirical study," International Journal of Mobile Marketing, Vol. 1, No. 2, 2006, pp. 33-41.
- Coner, A., "Personalization and customization in financial portals," Journal of American Academy of Business, Vol. 2, No. 2, 2003, pp. 498-504.
- De Pelsmacker, P., Geuens, M., and Anckaert, P., "Media context and advertising effectiveness: The role of context appreciation and context/ad similarity," Journal of Advertising, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2002, pp. 49-61.
- Ducoffe, R. H., "Advertising value and advertising on the web," Journal of Advertising Research, Vol. 36, No. 5, 1996, pp. 21-36.
- Grandison, T., and Sloman, M., "A survey of trust in internet applications," IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials, Vol. 3, No. 4, 2000, pp. 2-16.
- Haghirian, P., and Dickinger, A., "Identifying success factors of mobile marketing," ACR Asia-Pacific Advances, 2005.
- Hair, J. F., Anderson, R. E., Tatham, R. L., and Black, W. C., "Multivariate Data Analysis with Readings (4th ed.)," New Jersey: PrenticeHall, 1995.
- Hair, J. F., Jr., Black, W. C., Babin, B. J., and Anderson, R. E., "Multivariate Data Analysis (7th ed.)," Pearson, 2010.
- Herhold, K., How Consumers View Advertising: 2017 Survey. Retrieved from https://clutch.co/agencies/resources/how-consumers-view-advertising-survey-2017:
- Hoffman, D. L., Novak, T. P., and Peralta., M., "Building consumer trust online," Communications of the ACM, Vol. 42, No. 4, 1999, pp. 80-85. https://doi.org/10.1145/299157.299175
- Junglas, I. A., and Watson, R. T., Location-based services. Communications of the ACM, Vol. 51, No. 3, 2008.
- Kaasinen, E., "User needs for location-aware mobile services," Personal and ubiquitous computing, Vol. 7, No. 1, 2003, pp. 70-79. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00779-002-0214-7
- Kalyanaraman, S., and Sundar, S. S., "The psychological appeal of personalized content in web portals: does customization affect attitudes and behavior?," Journal of Communication, Vol. 56, No. 1, 2006, pp. 110-132. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2466.2006.00006.x
- Kang, H., Sundar, S. S., Kim, H., and Bae, K., "User attitudes toward customization and personalization: A priming study of gratifications expected and obtained," Paper presented at the The Annual Conference of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication(AEJMC), Boston, MA., 2009.
- Kini, R. B., and Suomi, R., "Changing attitudes toward location-based advertising in the USA and Finland," Journal of Computer Information Systems, Vol. 58, No. 1, 2018, pp. 66-78. https://doi.org/10.1080/08874417.2016.1192519
- Lee, E.-B., Lee, S.-G., and Yang, C.-G., "The influences of advertisement attitude and brand attitude on purchase intention of smartphone advertising," Industrial Management and Data Systems, Vol. 117, Nol 6, 2017, pp. 1011-1036. https://doi.org/10.1108/IMDS-06-2016-0229
- Lee, S., Kim, K. J., and Sundar, S. S., "Customization in location-based advertising: Effects of tailoring source, locational congruity, and product involvement on ad attitudes," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 51, 2015, pp. 336-343. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2015.04.049
- Marko Merisavo, Sami Kajalo, Heikki Karjaluoto, Ville Virtanen, Sami Salmenkivi, Mika Raulas, and Matti Leppaniemi, "AN EMPIRICAL STUDY OF THE DRIVERS OF CONSUMER ACCEPTANCE OF MOBILE ADVERTISING," 2007.
- Mitchell, A. A., and Olson, J. C., "Are product attribute beliefs the only mediator of advertising effects on brand attitude?," Journal of Marketing Research, 1981, pp. 318-332.
- Neter, J., "Applied linear statistical models(Vol.1)", McGraw-Hill/Irwin, 1996,
- Nunnally, J. C., "Psychometric Theory (2nd ed)," New York: McGraw-Hill, 1978.
- Peter, J. P., and Olson, J. C., "Consumer behavior and marketing strategy," Mcgraw-hill, 2005.
- Ranjan B. Kini and Reima Suomi, "Changing Attitudes toward Location-Based Advertising in the USA and Finland," 2018.
- Schlosser, A. E., Shavitt, S., and Kanfer, A., "Survey of Internet users' attitudes toward Internet advertising," Journal of Interactive Marketing, Vol. 13, No. 3, 1999, pp. 34-54. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1520-6653(199922)13:3<34::AID-DIR3>3.0.CO;2-R
- Shavitt, S., Lowrey, P., and Haefner, J., "Public attitudes toward advertising: More favorable than you might think," Journal of Advertising Research, Vol. 38, No. 4, 1998, pp. 7-22.
- Shimp, T. A., and Kavas, A., "The theory of reasoned action applied to coupon usage," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 11, No. 3, 1984, pp. 795-809. https://doi.org/10.1086/209015
- Siau, K., and Shen, Z., "Building customer trust in mobile commerce," Communications of the ACM, Vol. 46, No. 4, 2003, pp. 91-94. https://doi.org/10.1145/641205.641211
- Sundar, S. S., and Marathe, S. S., "Personalization versus customization: The importance of agency, privacy, and power usage," Human Communication Research, Vol. 36, No. 3, 2010, pp. 298-322. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2958.2010.01377.x
- Taylor, G., "The informativeness of on-line advertising," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Vol. 29, No. 6, 2011, pp. 668-677. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijindorg.2011.03.001
- Tsang, M. M., Ho, S.-C., and Liang, T.-P., "Consumer attitudes toward mobile advertising: An empirical study," International Journal of Electronic Commerce, Vol. 8, No. 3, 2004, pp. 65-78. https://doi.org/10.1080/10864415.2004.11044301
- Vogel, T., and Wanke, M., "Attitudes and attitude change," Psychology Press, 2016.
- Xu, H., Teo, H.-H., and Tan, B., "Predicting the adoption of location-based services: the role of trust and perceived privacy risk," ICIS 2005 proceedings, 2005, 71.