- Volume 28 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The effects of sales promotion and message framing on purchase intentions: Moderating effect of time pressure
모바일 커머스 환경에서 판매촉진 형태와 메시지 프레이밍이 구매의도에 미치는 영향: 시간압박의 조절효과를 중심으로
- Received : 2019.12.01
- Accepted : 2019.12.18
- Published : 2019.12.31
Purpose Unlike advertising through the traditional media targeting unspecified number of people, the base of mobile environment using smartphone has expanded so that many companies can classify prospective customers according to their purpose, thereby enabling efficient targeted marketing with low cost. Design/methodology/approach This study has investigated how can marketing strategy be influenced by the price promotion type (immediate discount/delayed discount) and message framing (positive/negative) according to time pressure (low/high). Hypotheses are set through the consideration of prospect theory, endowment effect, framing effect, regulatory-focus theory, and time-pressure theory. Findings The results and interpretation of this study are as follows. First, it was found that the influence of the delayed discount on the purchase intention was larger than the immediate discount. Second, negative/loss frame messages have more influence on purchase intention than positive/profit frame messages. Third, when the price promotion type is delayed discount, the effect of the promotion message on the purchase intention when it presented by negative/loss frame is greater than the other cases. The implication of this study is that it can be used as a basic data for establishing a strategy to maximize the effectiveness of promotions effectively considering potential buyers of mobile commerce environment.
- 곽준식, 신병철, "번들제품 판매시 가격인하적 판촉과 가치부가적 판촉의 효과차이에 관한 연구," 상품학연구, 제26권, 2008, pp. 25-38.
- 김기호, 이형용, "예방초점 성향 및 성격과 모바일 간편 결제 시스템에 대한 연구," 정보시스템연구, 제26권, 제4호, 2017, pp. 303-325.
- 김주영, 민병필, "판매촉진 수단 유형의 판촉효과 비교," 경영학연구, 제34권, 제2호, 2005, pp. 445-469.
- 메조미디어, 모바일 광고 효과 측정, 2012 http://media.daum.net/v/20120319134306408, 2012년 3월 12일 검색.
- 윤재현, 김한구, "SNS 광고특성이 이용자의 심리적 요인을 통해 광고태도 및 구전의도에 미치는 영향," 정보시스템연구, 제27권, 제2호, 2018, pp. 29-52.
- 최지은, 박종철, "판촉의 종류와 제시형태가 소비자 반응에 미치는 영향," 한국심리학회지: 소비자.광고, 제14권, 제3호, 2013, pp. 385-408.
- 허종호, 이준환, 홍재원, "판촉유형과 판촉메시지 유형간의 상호작용이 소비자의 제품 구매의도에 미치는 효과," 광고학연구, 제20권, 제1호, 2009, pp. 77-87.
- Ailawadi, K. L., and Neslin, S. A., "The Effect of Promotion on Consumption: Buying More and Consuming It Faster," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 35, No. 3, 1998, pp. 390-398. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224379803500309
- Anderson, N. H., and Hubert, S. "Effects of Concomitant Verbal Recall on Order Effects in Personality Impression Formation," Journal of Verbal Learning and Verbal Behavior, Vol. 2, No. 5-6, 1963, pp. 379-391. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5371(63)80039-0
- Bettman, J. R., and Sujan, M., "Effects of Framing on Evaluation of Comparable and Noncomparable Alternatives by Expert and Novice Consumers," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 14, No. 2, 1987, pp. 141-154. https://doi.org/10.1086/209102
- Block, L. G., and Keller, P. A., "When to Accentuate the Negative: The Effects of Perceived Efficacy and Message Framing on Intentions to Perform a Health-related Behavior," Journal of Marketing Research, 1995, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 192-203. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224379503200206
- Cesario, J., Grant, H., and Higgins, E. T., "Regulatory Fit and Persuasion: Transfer from "Feeling Right"," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vo. 86, No. 3, 2004, pp. 388-404. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1688
- Chen, S. F. S., Monroe, K. B., and Lou, Y. C., "The Effects of Framing Price Promotion Messages on Consumers' Perceptions and Purchase Intentions," Journal of Retailing, Vol. 74, No. 3, 1998, pp. 353-372. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(99)80100-6
- Crowe, E., and Higgins, E. T., "Regulatory Focus and Strategic Inclinations: Promotion and Prevention in Decision-making," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol. 69, No. 2, 1997, pp.117-132. https://doi.org/10.1006/obhd.1996.2675
- Diamond, W. D., and Johnson, R. R., "The Framing of Sales Promotions: An Approach to Classification," NA-Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 17, 1990.
- Gaeth, G. J., Levin, I. P., Cours, D. A., and Combs, S., "Framing of Attribute Information in Product Description," Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 17, No. 2, 1990, pp. 531-534.
- Ganzach, Y., and Karsahi, N., "Message Framing and Buying Behavior: A Field Experiment," Journal of Business Research, Vol. 32, No. 1, 1995, pp. 11-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-2963(93)00038-3
- Heath, T. B., Chatterjee, S., and France, K. R., "Mental Accounting and Changes in Price: The Frame Dependence of Reference Dependence," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 22, No. 1, 1995, pp. 90-97. https://doi.org/10.1086/209437
- Higgins, E. T., "Promotion and Prevention: Regulatory Focus as a Motivational Principle," Advances in Experimental Social Psychology, Vol. 30, 1998, pp. 1-46.
- Howard, J. A. S., and Jagdish, N., The Theory of Buyer Behavior, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1969.
- Inman, J. J., and McAlister, L., "Do Coupon Expiration Dates Affect Consumer Behavior?," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 31, No. 3, 1994, pp. 423-428. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224379403100310
- Kahneman, D., and Tversky, A., "Prospect theory: An Analysis of Decision Under Risk," Econometrica: Journal of the Econometric Society, 1979, pp. 263-291.
- Kahneman, D., and Tversky, A., "Choices, Values, and Frames," American Psychologist, Vol. 39, No. 4, 1984, pp. 341. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.39.4.341
- Kahneman, D., Knetsch, J. L., and Thaler, R. H., "Experimental Tests of the Endowment Effect and the Coase Theorem," Journal of Political Economy, 1990, pp. 1325-1348.
- Knetsch, J. L., Tang, F. F., and Thaler, R. H., "The Endowment Effect and Repeated Market Trials: Is the Vickrey Auction Demand Revealing?," Experimental Economics, Vol. 4, No. 3, 2001, pp. 257-269. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1013221421382
- Knox, K. L., Pflanz, S., Talcott, G. W., Campise, R. L., Lavigne, J. E., Bajorska, A., ... and Caine, E. D., "The US Air Force Suicide Prevention Program: Implications for Public Health Policy," American Journal of Public Health, Vol. 100, No. 12, 2010, pp. 2457-2463. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2009.159871
- Levin, I. P., and Gaeth, G. J., "How Consumers are Affected by the Framing of Attribute Information Before and After Consuming the Product," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 15, No. 3, 1988, pp. 374-378. https://doi.org/10.1086/209174
- Lichtenstein, D. R., Netemeyer, R. G., and Burton, S., "Distinguishing Coupon Proneness from Value Consciousness: An Acquisition-transaction Utility Theory Perspective," The Journal of Marketing, 1990, pp. 54-67.
- Lowe, B., "Consumer Perceptions of Extra Free Product Promotions and Discounts: The Moderating Role of Perceived Performance Risk," Journal of Product and Brand Management, Vol. 19, No. 7, 2010, pp. 496-503. https://doi.org/10.1108/10610421011086919
- Maheswaran, D., and Meyers-Levy, J., "The Influence of Message Framing and Issue Involvement," Journal of Marketing Research, 1990, pp. 361-367.
- Meyerowitz, B. E., and Chaiken, S., "The Effect of Message Framing on Breast Self-examination Attitudes, Intentions, and Behavior," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 52, No. 3, 1987, pp. 500. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1240
- Mishra, U. S., Das, J. R., Mishra, B. B., and Mishra, P., "Perceived Benefit Analysis of Sales Promotion: A Case of Consumer Durables," International Research Journal of Finance and Economics, Vol. 98, 2012, pp. 145-154.
- Nusair, K., Jin Yoon, H., Naipaul, S., and Parsa, H. G., "Effect of Price Discount Frames and Levels on Consumers' Perceptions in Low-end Service Industries," International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol. 22, No. 6, 2010, pp. 814-835. https://doi.org/10.1108/09596111011063106
- Payne, J. W., Bettman, J. R., and Johnson, E. J., "Adaptive Strategy Selection in Decision Making," Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, Vol. 14, No. 3, 1988, pp. 534. https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-73126.96.36.1994
- Peck, J., and Shu, S. B., "The Effect of Mere Touch on Perceived Ownership," Journal of consumer Research, Vol.36, No. 3, 2009, pp. 434-447. https://doi.org/10.1086/598614
- Plott, C. R., and Zeiler, K., "The Willingness to Pay-Willingness to Accept Gap, the "Endowment Effect," Subject Misconceptions, and Experimental Procedures for Eliciting Valuations," American Economic Review, Vol. 95, No. 3, 2005, pp. 530-545. https://doi.org/10.1257/0002828054201387
- Puto, C. P., "The Framing of Buying Decisions," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 14, No.3, 1987, pp. 301-315. https://doi.org/10.1086/209115
- Roeckelein, J. E. (Ed.)., Elsevier's Dictionary of Psychological Theories, Elsevier, 2006
- Spears, N., and Singh, S. N., "Measuring Attitude Toward the Brand and Purchase Intentions," Journal of Current Issues and Research in Advertising, Vol. 26, No. 2, 2004, pp. 53-66. https://doi.org/10.1080/10641734.2004.10505164
- Srinivasan, N., and Ratchford, B. T., "An Empirical Test of a Model of External Search for Automobiles," Journal of Consumer research, Vol. 18, No. 2, 1991, pp. 233-242. https://doi.org/10.1086/209255
- Stepper, S., Strack, F., and Higgins, E. T., "The Memory System: A Self-Regulatory Perspective," Unpublished manuscript, Wrzburg University, 1997
- Thaler, R., "Mental Accounting and Consumer Choice," Marketing Science, Vol. 4, No. 3, 1985, pp. 199-214. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.4.3.199
- Tversky, A., and Kahneman, D., "Loss Aversion in Riskless Choice: A Reference-dependent Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 1991, pp. 1039-1061.
- Vaidyanathan, R., and Aggarwal, P., "Who is the Fairest of Them All? An Attributional approach to Price Fairness Perceptions," Journal of Business Research, Vol. 56, No. 6, 2003, pp. 453-463. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(01)00231-4
- West, P. M., and Broniarczyk, S. M., "Integrating Multiple Opinions: The Role of Aspiration Level on Consumer Response to Critic Consensus," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 25, No. 1, 1998, pp. 38-51. https://doi.org/10.1086/209525
- Wright, P., "The Harassed Decision Maker: Time Pressures, Distractions, and the Use of Eevidence," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 59, No. 5, 1974, pp. 555. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0037186
- Zur, H. B., and Breznitz, S. J., "The Effect of Time Pressure on Risky Choice Behavior," Acta Psychologica, Vol. 47, No. 2, 1981, pp. 89-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-6918(81)90001-9
- Smith, S. M., and Levin, I. P., "Need for Cognition and Choice Framing Effects," Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, Vol. 9, No. 4, 1996, pp. 283-290. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-0771(199612)9:4<283::AID-BDM241>3.0.CO;2-7